Backpack Hunts-what you wished you brought/ what you should have left

xziang

WKR
I tried to do the bacon thing last year and didnt work to well for me. I like krispy bacon and maybe it was the way i stored it but it got soggy and wasnt as fun eating in the field as i thought it was.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Xiang- use precooked bacon for sandwiches. I'm going to make one up and vacuum seal and weigh. If it's reasonable I might go that way. COOP- thanks bro, going out to get cliff bar, Richards PB burst and honey/PB items today to see if I like em. taking an insulated mug if I can find one reasonable priced. Kind of funny how all these little things add up. I'll post a pic and weight on sandwich.

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the length of the trip but sometimes I'll bring an iPod shuffle. It weighs next to nothing and helps keep me going on long pack outs. I usually bring a small nail clipper to keep my feet in good shape. The newest addition is an inflatable pillow my gal got me. Much nicer than a rolled up jacket.

Jimbob

WKR
A merino gaiter is an awesome piece of gear, keeps drafts out around neck can e pulled up for camo, cuts wind on face, can be work on head over ears as hat, very versatile. Also a cotton bandana make a nice multi purpose rag as well, pot holder, first aid etc. Also find a water filtration system that you like. I HATED pumping water in the backcountry, just a chore that I never wanted to do it. Gravity filter is a pleasure every time I hang it up.

A merino gaiter is an awesome piece of gear, keeps drafts out around neck can e pulled up for camo, cuts wind on face, can be work on head over ears as hat, very versatile. Also a cotton bandana make a nice multi purpose rag as well, pot holder, first aid etc. Also find a water filtration system that you like. I HATED pumping water in the backcountry, just a chore that I never wanted to do it. Gravity filter is a pleasure every time I hang it up.

Yes, a merino neck gaiter from Sept on is a must, I have collected 2-3 now and keep one on me at all times, very versatile. For summer scouting trips I use a fishing buff thats UV protected. Those work well for the sun, but the merino wins when it gets cold and windy out.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Merino gaiter, chap stick, boogie hat for sure is on my list. COOP I tried the honey/PB, Clif bar and I do like them. So I did up a bagel sandwich and vacuum sealed it that a buddy does on sheep hunts. Comes out to .37 lbs per. It didn't flatten as much as I thought it would though. 4 slices of salami, 1 each of bacon and cheese. So I might take a few to supplement.

Camp hamoc chairs have made life so much better when your miles from the nearest chair. We made ours out of light weight shower curtains. Weigh 3 ounces
384881cb86fb40bb0ef5e6aa64687e92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pro953

WKR
I always end up with too much sweet food. Nice to make sure and mix in some salty or savory snacks between meals. When everything is chocolate, gummy,
Sugar etc. I find eventually I stop eating it and then I crash. That said I do not have much of a sweet tooth.

Daniel_M

WKR
I'll let you know in 30 days. As it stands my 10 day pack weight is 57.87lb with rifle and 2lb/day food but i may re-eval that a bit. I like my licky chewies and never leave without a bag of gummy worms.

Last edited:
About 4 years ago I went on a backpack elk hunt with a new friend. We hiked about 6 miles out from the truck to where I wanted to camp, and began setting up our tents. As soon as we got there he pulled some flip flops out of his pack and put them on.

I had never thought of that in all my years of backpack hunting, but usually have a cheap pair of flip flops in my pack since then. They weigh about 6oz and take up no space. After a long day of hunting it feels pretty nice to get the boots and socks off, and throw on the flip flops while pumping water and eating dinner before bed. They are also nice to put on during a mid day break to get you feet cooled off and dryed out.

BigSky

WKR
Most of the stuff which has been recommended is stuff with which I concur. I would pay special attention to stuff one usually doesn't think about unless one experiences the pitfalls of not having experienced the lack of said "little things". Of course, that's why you created this thread. Anyway, some of the things I am referencing have already been mentioned. Those are little things like, clipped toenails, extra socks in your pack, mole skin, chapstick-like sunscreen, etc. If I think of more I will post them. I hope you and icoop22250 enjoy your trip and have lots of luck.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for flip flops or some kind of lightweight camp shoe (crocs). After a few days of pounding the mnts....its awesome to get back to camp and slip on some some camp slippers to give your feet a break...

EastMT

WKR
Speaking of camp shoes, I recently found these sweet shoes called Hounds. They are 9.99 on Amazon, 8oz for size 11, like lightweight croks with full back and Velcro front. Stay on much better than shoes with no back.

Beendare

WKR
I've been doing it so long my gear list is pretty accurate....

Under the 'Wish I had category'; It sure would be nice to have a 12 pack of Blue Moons....grin