Doing road trip with no hotel stays-camping on the way there and back.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at a road trip in a few days and am trying to do the trip without any hotel stays if I can. I'm headed to Wyoming from South Carolina and I've done this trip several times before but always landed in a hotel coming or going. My goal is to drive about 12 hours per day (possible little more if feeling OK) which will put me staying 2 nights each way.

I'll likely stop around Iowa City IA or somewhere thereabouts for the first night then head on to Dubois WY. I might try to drive enough going out to only stay one night before I get to my destination but coming back seems to be tough to do with 1 night stop only-losing a couple of hours/time zones seems to make it tough coming back.

My plan (when I get to Wy) is to fish a good bit and then work my way around to a few places. Looking to go see Toelke Bow folks in MT one day and maybe camp in Helena Nat Forest. Might go to Seedskadee and fish the Green River and explore some small waters near Dubois - I am planning on staying 2-3 nights in Dubois.

On the way home I am thinking I might go by Kifaru and Rocky Mtn Specialty Gear in Wheat Ridge Co. so this will take me on a more southern route.

I appreciate any advise and suggestions here.

philos

Last edited:
What's your ride?
I've just sleep in the car at a rest area in the past.
Don't waste any time getting to a camp site that way.

I have done something similar en route to backpacking trips.

I found it easier if I organized my gear in such a way that didn't require me to dig through much to set my road camp up. I didn't have a fancy rig so justly did a tarp strapped off the roof rack of my SUV and a cot beside it. Simple camp meals or quick stops for food on the way. If you have enough room to set up you car/truck so that you can sleep inside it that is a major bonus for quick camps. I have a friend that has a truck cap and he built a plywood bench in half the bed that he can sleep on that stores gear underneath.

robtattoo

WKR
That's the exact reason I put a camper shell on my truck & throw a cot in the back.
Picked up a cheap shell on craigslist for $75 & saved myself $160 in hotels on my first trip to Wyoming.
Now I just pull over whenever I'm sick of driving, wherever I happen to be.

dotman

WKR
I've slept in my vehicles at rest areas and truck stops many times, very doable.

weaver

WKR
Shell on the back of my truck with an air mattress. Sleep in it 20+ nights a year. Suv with seats that fold flat works even better.
Have fun on your trip.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ben-PM sent .

I've had a couple of weird experiences napping at rest stops-makes me a bit leery. I have a mattress pad for the back of the truck and I use a Tarp to cover the bed-did this a couple of years ago in Helena MT and Kemmerer Wy with no problems. It is nice camping in the bed of the truck-easy to climb out of bed and roll the bed up and go.

I went to Recreation.gov to see campsites and there are plenty once I get to Wy just not so many in MO,Iowa or Nebraska. I'll pay special attention this time out to see which route there and back would best allow me to camp.

Better yet I should find my new home somewhere in WY or MT so I am near the places I enjoy so much

blackdawg

WKR
I did the trip from Tennessee a few weeks ago. This time of year I suck it up, burn the road as long as possible,then spend the coin for one super eight motel on way out and one on the way back. I can't sleep in the heat and it can be rather intense during parts of that journey. Also bugs "skeeters" can be fearsome in some areas before a frost. I prefer napping with the truckers at big truck stops away from major cities over rest areas. A set of earplugs is recommended if idling diesels bug ya. I have burned those roads up over the last 30 years and camping can be a challenge along that route.