Plantar Fasciitis Steroid Injection

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
So I've had PF since early March and have been tackling it head on with no exercise/play since June 1st. Slight improvement but not recovered. I've got a high buck hunt Sept 13 that is approaching fast.

Has anyone tried the steroid injection? What were your experiences. I've been avoiding it because I read you are at a higher risk of a complete tear of the PF. Im doing everything else, sleeping in a boot, ice, stretching, spiky ball, insoles, etc

Tod osier

WKR
So I've had PF since early March and have been tackling it head on with no exercise/play since June 1st. Slight improvement but not recovered. I've got a high buck hunt Sept 13 that is approaching fast.

Has anyone tried the steroid injection? What were your experiences. I've been avoiding it because I read you are at a higher risk of a complete tear of the PF. Im doing everything else, sleeping in a boot, ice, stretching, spiky ball, insoles, etc

I had it done twice (this was before I really understood it and what triggered PF for me and I got good at managing it). Once it helped and once it did nothing. I can tell you that it hurts like a MF to get one without anything to numb it up beforehand.

Gumbo

WKR
I had PF pretty bad in my left foot for a year or so. Never got the injection although I was tempted. What got rid of it for me was getting custom insoles and wearing stiff-soled Scarpa hiking boots ALL the time. I also stretched it out numerous times throughout the day. I noticed that the custom insole on that foot felt terrible for quite a while, which I mentioned to the doc, but he said that is normal because that arch was the one that was jacked up. Good luck, hope you can get it fixed or manageable before season.

I too have had one. Absolutely no help whatsoever. When you figure out how to get rid of this mess, please let me know. I have had it all. 2 doctors, custom insoles, injections, stretching, sleeping sock, boot,

Nothing has worked and it is getting worse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elkguide

WKR
As a house painter, I spend most all day, every day on a ladder and have just started to enjoy PF in my left foot. I've had some success with using a roller on my calves several times a day to reduce the tightness. The hot 5 minute soak, followed by the cold 5 minute soak every night, seems to help a little bit too. Do NOT get the steroid injection unless you love pain!

I actually thought the injection was nothing. Literally nothing. They use a cold spray and then out it in. Piece of cake. Some small discomfort while infecting but nothing to write to momma about

oldgoat

WKR
I've had it for years, taping my feet is the only thing that heals it for me and wearing the right shoes at the right time, say good buy to any kind of sandals if you're spending any real time on your feet. The five finger shoes help strengthen your feet, but you have to start out easy in them and build up your foots endurance. I walk 20k+ steps any given day at work, and after a couple days, I have to tape my feet for the rest of the week. Get good fitting boots as mentioned and one other bit of advice, I've trained myself to basically use my toes like I'm trying to grip the ground every step I take, wearing boots and shoes make your foot lazy and it just gives up and falls to oversimplify the problem, they need worked out like any other part of your body!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You should look into active release therapy, I've had success fixing PF and Achilles' tendon issues before.

I had PF in both feet at the same time. I did not get the shots, but followed suggestion given by my Chiropractor. Sit in a chair, and put a golf ball on the floor (carpeted floor is best). Using your foot, massage the arch with the golf ball rolling it around on the carpet under your arch(you will know 'cause it hurts like a bitch at first). I also went to WalMart, and got some Dr. Scholls Custom insoles. The ones where you stand on a machine for a minute, and it tells you which insole is right for you. Costs $40 for the insoles, but I got immediate relief with the insoles, and the golf ball exercise cured my PF. I have also purchased the "heel that pain" insoles, and they work wonders too.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I had it....

...and it did nothing. I've now had 3 cortisone injections in my life; foot, shoulder, elbow and I can tell you it makes a huge difference in the 'Who' and the 'How'......as the one I got in my foot was incredibly painful. Compared to the one I had in my shoulder which was nuthin.

Mine was brought on by a elk packout in Idaho many years ago where we figure we did 27 miles in one day total packing that bull out. Afterward it felt like someone had taken a hammer to the bottom of my feet.

PF is one of those things that takes a long time to heal....you are much better off breaking a bone or something like that. There doesn't seem to be a magic fix...just long term therapy. Mine took about 9 months of constant effort. If you haven't had it I recommend you research prevention as it is preventable.

PMcGee

WKR
Stretch your calves and stretch some more. Mine took over a year to get rid of. I could feel it coming back if I'm not stretching everyday but good stretches and it's gone.

My wife has it almost non stop and the only things that have worked for her is nice soft insoles, keeping body and pack weight to the minimum, and she had good results with some kind of ultrasonic type treatment.

LostArra

WKR
Strassburg Sock and Heel That Pain healed mine along with the usual massage and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I both have had PF. Neither had the injection. Her Dr wasnt very high on them.
Mine went away after constantly stretching it and using a ball after several months. If your not crying your not trying hard enough.

My wife finally had the surgery where they released her calf also. She still has PF along with constant numbness in her heel that she says sucks just as bad. Insoles, stretching and time helped her more than anything.

I feel for ya brother. Only thing Ive had worse was sciatic nerve pain.

idcuda

WKR
No injections for me. I've lived with it for years, but it's finally started to get worse over the last 9 mos. It's never been bad enough to keep me from doing everything, including my regular running. I'm going to get back to the golf ball rolling and stretching to see if I can get rid of it. I've done a lot of what's been mentioned, but I've never stuck with it long enough. Good luck!

kcm2

WKR
Try icing it until your foot hurts, then roller it for a few minutes, ice again until it aches, roller it....do that for fifteen minutes or so. Stretch 5x/day min for a minute or more each time. That cured my last bout after six months of pain. Birkenstock inserts help or a custom insert. Wearing stiff hiking boots all the time also helps.

Good luck.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Certainty not an approach for everyone, and not going to help you for hunting this year, but some people respond really well to slowly working into barefoot style shoes. Several years ago I started to get PF pain really bad. I started a slow transition into new balance minimal shoes, Merrill trail gloves, vivobarefoots,.. after 6 months or so of working out, walking and running "barefoot", I now have zero pain. This approach is not for everyone, and is dependent on how much damage you currently have. Another side effect of going this route is that once your feet build up to support your body more naturally, you'll probably never be able to or want to wear shoes or boots with lots of support. Again though, it is something that worked for me, but I realize it's not going solve this problem for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
Since a lot of guys here are throwing in recommendations on managing PF, I'll throw mine in since it is so easy for me to manage now that I know my problem.... My trigger/cause is walking bare foot and it doesn't take much. I don't ever do anything barefoot other than shower and I have no serious problems anymore. If I run around the house for five minutes one day bare foot, I can feel it in a couple days (slow feedback loop makes troubleshooting a problem). Stretching will nip a problem in the bud too. Once things are inflamed, it is really hard to figure out what helps. The thing that has ended my really severe problem periods I've had in the past is absolute inactivity for a week or more along with stretching and icing. Boots with heel slip contribute for me because I think it affects my stride.

Billinsd

WKR
Stretch your foot, then release, stretch and release while massaging it. I think the vibration of the massager did the trick for me.