Frustrated with On X Hunt app....

MtnOyster

WKR
I know it works fine for some on their phone but I would never download it on mine, I purchased a hand held GPS then purchased the onX map card for the state I wanted, I try to keep my phone as clear as possible other than pics and vids.

Doghed

WKR
I carry an iPad mini in the field and so far its been great. Mark-ups, way points, zooming in and out all have worked very well. All off-line. So far I've only used the high res. download option.

Word is OnX wants to eliminate the GPS chip and only have the phone app available. That way OnX can update things quickly.

So, hopefully they will get things working properly.

ClearCreek

wyodan

WKR
Word is OnX wants to eliminate the GPS chip and only have the phone app available. That way OnX can update things quickly.

ClearCreek

I hope not. The last thing I want with me when I'm hunting is my phone.

ST52v

WKR
I would tend to blame the phone if you are having problems. Here's why!!
1) It is known that Apple was killing batteries to force new phone purchases.
2) Up until this last christmas , my wife and I had S6's. Over the last year or so we started dropping calls in places that we shouldn't have. My wife's Ring door bell also stopped working after 3 or 4 months. Our batteries also started to go. We were in the the second year and approaching new phone time.
3) I bought my wife a new I phone in December. She doesn't drop calls anymore and the Ring door bell works with no issues.

I believe our phones are being compromised to force us to buy new ones. I have read where some countries are investigating these types of things.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
my only complaint with on x is for example: they don't have all of the counties in iowa in their system. I use it quite a bit for getting permission to goose hunt but my main county isn't on there. I've talked to them about it and they have no plans to update some of these counties which is disappointing

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider

ClearCreek

We are still fully supporting our Hunt Chip and there are no plans to get rid of it. It definitely comes down to personal preference between using a GPS unit with a Chip vs using the phone app. Many users (including some of our own employees) still use their GPS units so don't worry.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
my only complaint with on x is for example: they don't have all of the counties in iowa in their system. I use it quite a bit for getting permission to goose hunt but my main county isn't on there. I've talked to them about it and they have no plans to update some of these counties which is disappointing

We work with the counties on obtaining that information and unfortunately some of them do not have their records in a digitized format for us to work with. If they do not have that information available then we cannot put it in our app. If they do get their records updated, then we will get it in our app but we are at their mercy when it comes to that information. Hopefully by the time we update this year, they will have that info.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone seen any improvement? I have used it extensively from early last fall. It is extremely slow for all steps. Extremely frustrating! For example it takes 15-32 seconds to add or delete a waypoint! Gaia gps is light years more responsive . I am running onx on an iPhone 6. I Deleted app and re downloaded as they suggested. No improvements. So frustrating.

Sorry you're having issues Peter. It sounds like it is a device issue. Unfortunately as others have mentioned, sometimes with software updates that get released and as those devices get older, the performance slows down. The devices we have tested save waypoints instantly, while online and offline, and it runs incredibly smooth.

I believe our phones are being compromised to force us to buy new ones. I have read where some countries are investigating these types of things.

This is why I was determined to go with a Google phone this time around. They guarantee 3 years of updates at a minimum. I have a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet and it still runs like new.

I'm not entirely convinced that companies like Samsung are doing this intentionally, but they are hardware companies that are terrible with software. The code on their phones is a giant mess on top of them going through minimal effort to get updates out for older phones as soon as the new model comes out.

Sorry you're having issues Peter. It sounds like it is a device issue. Unfortunately as others have mentioned, sometimes with software updates that get released and as those devices get older, the performance slows down. The devices we have tested save waypoints instantly, while online and offline, and it runs incredibly smooth.

It’s not the device. 3 other gps apps work great. Tech support says the ~400 waypoints I have is the problem. So onx really can’t replace a gps handheld!. Onx suggest I export all waypoints by area, then delete all, and only upload them by area when going to that area or state. What a pain in the a$$ that would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not the device. 3 other gps apps work great. Tech support says the ~400 waypoints I have is the problem. So onx really can’t replace a gps handheld!. Onx suggest I export all waypoints by area, then delete all, and only upload them by area when going to that area or state. What a pain in the a$$ that would be.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. 400 waypoints is such a small amount (even though I don't have that many myself). Sounds like there is a major technical problem that needs to be solved in their software.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Would like to see a tutorial on the phone app. I purchased the Eastmans addition and it doesn't even show that layer?

This page has all our video tutorials, articles, and frequently asked questions regarding how to use the phone app. Mobile App – onX

The Eastman's layer can be found under the Nationwide Layers section, under Hunt.
Here is page specific to that layer. What is the Eastmans' MRS Layer? – onX