Boot advice

So I am looking for some advice or direction on boots. I will be going on a Elk hunt mid September to Idaho, we will be doing a good bit of walking in 8-9 days. I currently have some Danner Pronghorns that are 800 gram ( I wouldn't trade them for the world) however I'm concerned about the insulation and also the boots are about 6 years old. Looking for a boot that would do good in that element with out breaking the bank. If y'all think I would be fine with my Danners I will stick with them, however Im open to options/opinions on other boots as well!

Thanks!

Kyle [email protected]

This site has a ton of good threads on boots. Search around.
With that said, IMHO, when you actually go to a real boot, you will not love your pronghorns so much. They are really for flat ground. If you will be in any terrain, go with a boot with more support. When you feel the support, it will be night and day.

Schnees - Beartooth

Lathrop and Sons - they just launched a new boot

Lowa Tibet

Kenetrek

Meindel

To name a few....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure what the terrain in the area you are going to is but I prefer a mountaineering boot. That being said they are very stiff on the outsole and dont offer much if any flex. Which is great for load hauling but not for spot and stalk. The area I hunt has lots of changes in elevation as well. I also prefer a noninsulated boot pretty much all the time. I also don't hunt super cold areas. But while moving an insulated boot is going to be super hot. I have had good luck with scarpa triolets, and my new favorite la sportive trango cubes. Good luck, good boots will make your hunt so much better and are one of the key pieces of gear, don't skimp on them. Bad boots will ruin a hunt.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I would hunt in tennis shoes rather than insulated boots in Sept.

As for which boot, you'll have to go to a store and try some on. If you're carrying a pack most of the time (more than 30 lbs) then get a bit stiffer than you think you need.

Tejasbow

FNG
I would hunt in tennis shoes rather than insulated boots in Sept.

As for which boot, you'll have to go to a store and try some on. If you're carrying a pack most of the time (more than 30 lbs) then get a bit stiffer than you think you need.
This

oldgoat

WKR
For not breaking the bank, find some place that carries La Sportiva.REI does if you have one near buy, they have some in the $200 dollar range, biggest thing is they have to fit!

530Chukar

WKR
I had the Danner pronghorns until the end of this chukar season. Worst boot I've ever had. The seams along the arch of the foot blew out on both sides and eventually worked down to the toe. Bought some Schnee's after that and love them so far. Spend some money on your feet.

2ski

WKR
800 grams is way overkill for Sept. You'll sweat like non other. Your feet will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Your feet will be a wreck after 8-9 days mid September in an insulated boot. That is a really bad idea. Like others, I prefer the stiff soled boots in the mountains. Problem with that is I wouldn't wear a pair into the mountains unless I already had about 50 miles on them to break them in. You are running up against a timeline now.

The most important thing with boots is that they fit your foot. You need to try some on and then get some miles on them. Everyone's feet are different and you need what works for you.

Definitely try out REI over a typical sporting goods store. Look at Salewa and La Sportiva, both make great lightweight mountain boots for a great price. The lighter Zamberlans and Lowa Tibets seem to work out for most people.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+1 for the Lowa Tibets if they fit your foot. I'm a firm believer that if hunting the western states, I would spend my money on boots, binos and backpacks in that order. If you can't hike, you can't hunt.

Takem

WKR
Great information above. Act now so you can break them in and or exchange if you put miles on and don't like what you bought. Don't go cheap. I've been wearing Asolo GTX boots (about two pair a year between work, training and hunting) from REI for close to 10 years. I'm sure they're better boots out there but these fit me great and work good in the mountains. As mentioned you don't want insulated boots that time of year.

Just got a pair of crispi Wyomings and tried them on. Unbelievably comfortable. Coming from danner's there is such a drastic difference. No miles onthem yet but happy so far.

When I was young, Danner Pronghorns were great except when I'd run a rock into the top of my foot chukar hunting.

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes are the best boot I've ever owned. Buy a pair and you'll never go back to cheaper boots, I promise.

Uninsulated for a September hunt.

Get something else. I have a pair of pronghorns and they are comfortable for flat ground and just hanging around but are not suited for the mountains. I have since purchased Crispi Wyoming's and the difference is unbelievable. I feel like every time my foot hits the ground the boot just clamps down with support on all the right places. Way better tread too.

If your pronghorns are 6 years old they might have been made before the quality issues happened but its still the wrong boot for the job.

I have a pair of Danner Pronhorns that are probably over 10 years old and they are great boots, but boots are one of those things that are different for everyone and trying them on, if you can, is the best advice you are probably going to get.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
What ever boot you choose, don't take to long,as your going to want to get them broke in well, before your hunt. There isn't anything that can be guaranteed to cause you pain and bleeding as a new pair of boots on a elk hunt. Good luck on your search, and hunt.
Mike