onX hunt update

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Correct. (I just scoured the new web & android apps to confirm, and I don't see anything. I know in the old versions it was not possible).

Its a pretty sketchy move by them. I'm paying for 'elite', so this pisses me off quite a bit. Until they change their policy, I'll mainly my tracks & waypoints elsewhere (garmin & gpx files on my harddrive).

I discovered the lack of export option last winter after a deer hunt. For me, that is a deal killer. I will still use the app for boundary info but will never depend on OnX to keep my data. I will always carry my GPS unit to save the data - which everyone should probably do anyway. My buddy on the same deer hunt had the OnX app crash and it corrupted all the downloaded maps. He spent a whole day of hunting driving to get find cell service to re-download the maps only to have the app crash again. After seeing that series of events and the lack of export option, I won't trust them with anything important.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update as of 8/3/2017 9:31 pm MST
Overall the tickets from customers with issues are continuing to decrease. Main issues today are My Content not syncing and some saved maps issues.
Android Update is LIve 4.0.1 10:20 am MST
iOS Update is live 4.0.1 5:20 pm MST
Can’t see layers: For returning customers. The user needs to go into Manage states and turn a state on. It does not select a state at the start for a returning customer.
Content Migration: If your content didn’t come over such as waypoints or tracks we should still have it in our system and can restore it for you. Just give us a call/email. [email protected]
No data carried over, contact CS, If you changed your email it might be under a different account
You made waypoints in the Beta App, those will not carry over.
I lost some of my data, contact CS we will see what we can find.
Photo Waypoints, These do not carry over right now when we add that feature back we will try to add those points in then.
Password Reset: It seems our emails are getting through to customers now. If you can’t login do a password reset. Also our Customer service can manually reset a users password was added today just email us and we will send a new password back.
Upgrade to Elite: If you had 2 premium state memberships you are now upgraded to Elite access in the new system. We only have 1 and 50 state memberships. You are grandfathered in at your past purchase prices for Elite.
Saving Maps: Google has turned our servers back up. Saving maps should be much faster now. We are hearing issues of some layers not saving so let us know if you hear that and try to get some info from the user.
Valid Membership/layers say purchase: If your layers are telling you to purchase and it says you have a premium/elite membership do these steps:
Open the Hunt App
Tap on Map Layers
Scroll down and tap Manage States
Disable your State
Select your State
Click the x in the top left corner
Tap Map Layers
Swipe down on the layers menu to refresh your layers
Turn on the layers you wish to view
Membership did not carry over: If you had a Membership and it is saying you have a Basic Membership now, please contact our Customer service they can Re-Add access for you. [email protected]
Import/Export: We are working on adding the import tool back into Web Map. This will allow you to import GPX, KMX, shape files into web map and sync to your phone. We will also follow up after that with ways to export data as well.
Photo waypoints: Did not carry over to the new system. When we add photo waypoints back early this fall we will restore all old photo waypoints at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am one of the members that lost his elite subscription he paid for, so it looks like I am in hold formation. I hope it's resolved soon, I'm leaving in a few days and have dedicated this weekend for this.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a user doesn't see their content. They can go to my content and swipe down. This will do a content refresh and has been restoring some users data today.

It is a mess and a disappointment. From an email OnX: Our programmers have recovered some waypoints for you, unfortunately the track they can see seems to not have saved properly and they are not able to migrate this. My reply: I have multiple tracks from different dates that are missing but one from this last weekend that is still there. I did nothing differently and one saved and the others didn't? I mean really guys they were there accessible and navigable prior to the upgrade. I am talking about taking time off of work driving 10 hours (2 separate times) to a spot and hiking in and covering 11 miles plus miles this last weekend and a few miles back in May. Plus way points from around Iowa that show landowner and hunting spots - gone! Money time sweat equity and intel gone. Really not saved properly? So something the system did or I didn't do? Elk season starts in less than 4 weeks and with no extra money or time off I have to try and recreate from memory what I thought was saved onto a map. Not happy.

How many others have had a similar experience?

One of my favorite features is the photo tagging. Hopefully it's up soon

10b497e7d6585efef836b465d8ae3141.jpg

Davebuech

WKR
Well they finally fixed my password and I was able to log on. A lot of new upgrades and actually think it's pretty nice. The first thing I noticed was the option to use UTM coordinates. Yes having 5 states to select is good but I usually don't need to travel that far. The downloads for maps is faster but don't like just a 10 mile and 150 mile radius selection. I kinda liked the old tiles. All of my downloaded maps went away and I noticed tonight two of my older waypoints were missing. Obviously this is still a work in progress but it fits nicely with other Nav tools and easy to see on my I phone screen.
Upgrades are nice but the old system worked good too.
Still a fan.

wapitibob

WKR

I don't put myself in that position.
Like I've told my kids and countless others on forums, "back your stuff up".
On a side note I believe you can save your own data off an android OS device as you have access to the file structure. IOS needs a 3rd party app like anytrans but I'm not sure how deep you can go with it.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased the app for our September trip, didnt really like it, waa working with customer support but the issue was never resolved. All i can say is that custoner support was prompt and tried working with me, and in the end they said in a couple if weeks the upgrade will be out, well it's out and so far it looks to kick add, the additional states is a wonderful idea, will be sticking with Oxmaps, don't forget to use Randy coupon at check out!

Yep. The update is pretty, but not as functional. I liked having the different base layer options in the previous version. Also, the individual layers for game species are not working. If I turn on 'elk winter concentration' all of the elk layers turn on.

Not as important a fix as getting everyone's data restored, but hopefully something that will be addressed.

-FNG

vanish

WKR
Hmm, the different line options ( colors / thicknesses ) seems to be gone, and now I get dozens of tiny useless mileage markers cluttering up my view on my lines.

Am I just not finding the settings or ?

Davebuech

WKR
Not sure about color/thickness of lines. Sounds like you have the show trail mileage option selected. Try turning that off and may be less cluttered.

Hmm, the different line options ( colors / thicknesses ) seems to be gone, and now I get dozens of tiny useless mileage markers cluttering up my view on my lines.

Am I just not finding the settings or ?

vanish

WKR
Not sure about color/thickness of lines. Sounds like you have the show trail mileage option selected. Try turning that off and may be less cluttered.

Thanks for trying, but its not trail mileages that is bothering me. Its mileages along line segments I have drawn. Turning off trail mileage layer has no effect.

uc

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
So it seems like most of the issues are with the update transfer? I have been waiting to sign up until after this. Seems like I won't have any major issues being new?

Thanks,
Boswell

whaack

WKR
It is a mess and a disappointment. From an email OnX: Our programmers have recovered some waypoints for you, unfortunately the track they can see seems to not have saved properly and they are not able to migrate this. My reply: I have multiple tracks from different dates that are missing but one from this last weekend that is still there. I did nothing differently and one saved and the others didn't? I mean really guys they were there accessible and navigable prior to the upgrade. I am talking about taking time off of work driving 10 hours (2 separate times) to a spot and hiking in and covering 11 miles plus miles this last weekend and a few miles back in May. Plus way points from around Iowa that show landowner and hunting spots - gone! Money time sweat equity and intel gone. Really not saved properly? So something the system did or I didn't do? Elk season starts in less than 4 weeks and with no extra money or time off I have to try and recreate from memory what I thought was saved onto a map. Not happy.

Yep. Me too.

As someone who works in IT the fact that they upgraded systems and lost so much data is unbelievable. If they used a firm to do the upgrade to the system they should be fired. If they did it in house, whoever screwed the pouch should be fired.

vanish

WKR
As someone who works in IT the fact that they upgraded systems and lost so much data is unbelievable. If they used a firm to do the upgrade to the system they should be fired. If they did it in house, whoever screwed the pouch should be fired.

Yeah - there's really no excuse for it these days. The old data doesn't just disappear unless your process for converting it was terrible. Backup, hello?

ACC

FNG
All my offline data the I had just downloaded for my unit this year is gone and it says I have to purchase again, very disappointed I may ask for a refund.

All my stuff came through and I cant see anything that was lost.
I had little other than about 5 waypoints.
Everything came thru the phone App

Guess I am among the fortunate.
I hope to stay that way as I am using Delorme In Reach and my phone now and no other GPS system.