Need vehicle advice

ChrisA

WKR
I recently changed jobs and now need to provide my own vehicle but get paid the IRS mileage rate. I've had a company vehicle for the last 20 years so am kind of out of the loop on this kind of thing. I personally own an '04 Chevy Silverado with 94k miles that I think we'll keep as I know the history, it's clean, and my son just got a school permit.

I'm expecting to put on 40-50K/year driving in the upper midwest and would prefer a half ton 4x4 Chevy crew cab as I'll often times have passengers and a lot of driving will be on country roads. So do I get a new one and take the initial hit on depreciation but get better MPG and warranty? Or do I get a couple year old model with 25-30K miles?

Or wait for the Dodge ecodiesel and get 28 MPG?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

ST52v

WKR
My father-in-law's new Titan has a 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and gets about the same millage as his 13 chevey did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
Or do I get a couple year old model with 25-30K miles?

I always thought this was the way to go, but when shopping for vehicles last year I just did not see the "depreciation hit" for a vehicle with that little mileage. It didn't seem like there's the good deal one used to be able to get. I was not shopping for Chevy's though, mainly looked at Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Subaru.

CorbLand

WKR
you probably won't pull much better milage by getting something new compared to something with 30,000 miles on it. Heck most stuff that has 30,000 on it will only be a year or two old.

Personally, unless you need to spend some money there is no need to get a new vehicle. Getting a used one will save you some cash up front but you do run the risk not having a warranty. But you could probably fix most problems that you have with the money saved from not going new. Its a hard decision.

hodgeman

WKR
You don't mention the type of work you do...

If you don't need a truck...drive something else and make money on your mileage rate. Also, 40-50k a year is a LOT of driving. Can you afford to not work while an older rig gets fixed?

OP
ChrisA

ChrisA

WKR
Basically I'll be doing agronomy work and supporting seed dealers and sales managers. I feel a truck gives me some "street cred" with farmers. Plus, I've always driven a truck and prefer being up off the ground, have 4x4 and the ability to put big stuff in the bed.

Thanks for advice so far,

Chris

N2TRKYS

WKR
The only used vehicle I would buy is a 2015 Tacoma. Otherwise, I'm buying new cause the price is about the same as one with 20-50K miles on it.

If you decide to get a GMC, check out Laura GMC in Collinsville, IL.

Fitzwho

WKR
I think in that situation I would be looking for one of the Ecodiesel's with a few thousand miles on it, if only to save you the $2,000 diesel upgrade versus buying new. I'm driving a 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi, can't say as I could recommend it based on mpg (16-17 on the highway), but I haven't had any issues while putting 70,000 miles on that truck in the 2 and a half years that I've been driving it.

My father-in-law bought the Ecodiesel and put 70,000 miles on it in the first 18 months he had it, averaging 26 mpg for that entire run. He loves that truck.

Coming from someone that buys his fair share of vehicles here's my take. If you're going to be driving that much buy new with warranty. 10years ago I would have never suggested it but recently used trucks w/ low miles simply aren't depreciating that much. I've had enough new vehicles lately to know something will be going wrong with it and it's nice to toss the dealer the keys and say fix it (at no cost to you) when that happens. It's for work, so call it a fixed cost for your job. I would venture to guess if you found a truck 2-3yrs old w/ low Miles you'll find after rebates and interest your not saving a ton. I've seen people trying to pull loads with 1/2 tons down a 4 lane that should be illegal, I'd be nervous about buying a used vehicle anymore if I couldn't know the history of how it was used.

All that said if I were looking at a new 1/2 ton I'd go Nissan then Toyota long before I'd buy a truck from the big 3 (coming from someone that currently has trucks from all 3) buts that's your call.

WRO

WKR
I think in that situation I would be looking for one of the Ecodiesel's with a few thousand miles on it, if only to save you the $2,000 diesel upgrade versus buying new. I'm driving a 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi, can't say as I could recommend it based on mpg (16-17 on the highway), but I haven't had any issues while putting 70,000 miles on that truck in the 2 and a half years that I've been driving it.

My father-in-law bought the Ecodiesel and put 70,000 miles on it in the first 18 months he had it, averaging 26 mpg for that entire run. He loves that truck.
He got lucky, there have been a lot of issues.

I'd buy a tundra, you should get 200k plus miles for minimal maintainer costs..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

y
Personally, unless you need to spend some money there is no need to get a new vehicle. Getting a used one will save you some cash up front but you do run the risk not having a warranty. But you could probably fix most problems that you have with the money saved from not going new. Its a hard decision.

wow i always thought the warranty on used cars or trucks was transferable. is that not true?

muddydogs

WKR
Basically I'll be doing agronomy work and supporting seed dealers and sales managers. I feel a truck gives me some "street cred" with farmers. Plus, I've always driven a truck and prefer being up off the ground, have 4x4 and the ability to put big stuff in the bed.

Thanks for advice so far,

Chris

Don't know about the upper Mid West but around here a 1/2 ton isn't going to give you street cred with anyone but the want to be cool pickup crowed, if it ain't at least a 3/4 ton it ain't squat and if you really want cred then a 1 tons will get you there.

wow i always thought the warranty on used cars or trucks was transferable. is that not true?

You get the factory warranty as long as it still falls within the factory warranty year/mileage.
I just bought a 2015 Xterra where the factory powertrain warranty was 5 years/60k. It has 37k, so it will probably see 60k before the 5 years. But my understanding is you still retain that warranty. It's with the car; not the owner the warranty comes with

"The Warranty Usually Transfers
In most cases, automotive warranties are based on the vehicle identification number (VIN), and the warranty will be valid regardless of ownership. In other words, if you buy a car and sell it to a new owner, the warranty will still remain valid for the new owner until the end of the original warranty period.

As a result, buying a used car with the remaining factory warranty should mean that you're covered under the same warranty as the old owner was. There's one important catch, however: The warranty is based on the purchase date and not the model year. If you buy a 2012 car with a 3-year warranty in 2014, there's a chance that the warranty may already have expired because the original owner purchased the car in 2011"

Autotrader.com

Tejasbow

FNG
There are two ways to own vehicles.

1. Buy new trade at 100, 150k miles.
2. Buy used below 50k miles drive an till the wheels fall of, reattach the wheels and drive em till the axles fall off.

In your situation I would think new is the way to go.

If you go with Chevy, make sure and check that oil often as you approach 100k miles. They are known to burn a quart or 3 between changes. Now plenty folks that put 200k on Chevys with little to no problems just keep them full of oil.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I didn't know the warranty transferred. You learn something new everyday.