Idaho Summer Road Trip

wildcat33

WKR
Im headed up to Idaho for two weeks in late August with the wife and two dogs. We've done this same trip in Montana and Colorado the past two summers, basically we drive around exploring backroads looking for out of the way places, interesting sites, good fishing, hot springs, and free camping up in the mountains. I know the geography of most western states pretty well, but Idaho is a blank spot for me. Id be grateful for recommendations from those in the know of specific or general areas worth a look.

Of particular interest is small stream fishing with cutthroats and finding somewhere that has golden trout, besides golden trout lake.

We're driving a stock tacoma, so rough forest roads are OK, but full jeep trails are out.

Cheers,
Dave

jtl

FNG
I would recommend spending some time in the Stanley/Sawtooths area of Central ID. Great scenery, plenty to explore, lots of hot springs, etc. Developed campgrounds in the Stanley Lake/Redfish Lake area will be hard to come by, they usually book up quick during the winter and spring, but if you get off of the beaten path there should be plenty of options.

I've been to the Selway a couple times and Seven Devils mountains once and both areas I'd like to spend more time at. The Selway really has that middle of nowhere feeling.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Thanks jtl, we usually steer well clear of developed campgrounds so that sounds like it will be good spot.

HookUp

WKR
I would recommend spending some time in the Stanley/Sawtooths area of Central ID. Great scenery, plenty to explore, lots of hot springs, etc. Developed campgrounds in the Stanley Lake/Redfish Lake area will be hard to come by, they usually book up quick during the winter and spring, but if you get off of the beaten path there should be plenty of options.

Made this drive and it was great. Go through Sun Valley-Ketchum head up through Galena over the pass to the headwaters of the Salmon river. Head towards Stanley then Challis. There is a lake up there with Golden trout, I was told all about it but wasn't really listening, not much of a trout guy. Might give McCoys fly shop a call for info.

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
Made this drive and it was great. Go through Sun Valley-Ketchum head up through Galena over the pass to the headwaters of the Salmon river. Head towards Stanley then Challis. There is a lake up there with Golden trout, I was told all about it but wasn't really listening, not much of a trout guy. Might give McCoys fly shop a call for info.

This^ but I would stop at at the East Fork of the Salmon just before Challis,explore that and head back to Sun Valley and then Explore the Copper Basin and the Big Lost river and fish for Cutbows.