onX updates here:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll try and keep you all abreast of everything that is happening. It's all happening very fast, so lots of changes. For those who are worried, don't be, it will all get squared away. Most recent update:

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Wanted to give an update on some things going on with the update. Overall it has been a tremendous success. Less than 2% of customers have had a problem. Due to the large volume of customers you may be in this group though. Here are some things that are going on right now. We are also releasing updates to Android and iOS to fix as much as we could get in. Look for those today 8/2 and make sure you have version 4.0.1[/FONT]

1. If your content didn’t come over such as waypoints or tracks we should still have it in our system and can restore it for you. Just give us a call/email. [email protected]
  2. If you are having trouble logging in about 5% of customers passwords did not carry over. Please reset your password to get an email. If you don’t see the email check your spam/Trash folder. Go to www.onxmaps.com/web to reset password
  3. If you had 2 premium state memberships you are now upgraded to Elite access in the new system. We only have 1 and 50 state memberships. You are grandfathered in at your past purchase prices for Elite.
  4. If you are having trouble saving a map, we are having trouble with Google shutting down our servers with the spike in usage. They think it is an attack by bots and not our real users. We have addressed a couple things we can control to make it more stable over the night. Waiting on Google to address the problem as well today.
  5. If your layers are telling you to purchase and it says you have a premium/elite membership do these steps:
    1. Open the Hunt App
    2. Tap on Map Layers
    3. Scroll down and tap Manage States
    4. Disable your State
    5. Select your State
    6. Click the x in the top left corner
    7. Tap Map Layers
    8. Swipe down on the layers menu to refresh your layers
    9. Turn on the layers you wish to view
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]
[/FONT]

If you had a Membership and it is saying you have a Basic Membership now, please contact our Customer service they can Re-Add access for you. [email protected]

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
The are working on updating imports right now and the export is coming.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update as of 8/3/2017 9:31 pm MST
Overall the tickets from customers with issues are continuing to decrease. Main issues today are My Content not syncing and some saved maps issues.
Android Update is LIve 4.0.1 10:20 am MST
iOS Update is live 4.0.1 5:20 pm MST
Can’t see layers: For returning customers. The user needs to go into Manage states and turn a state on. It does not select a state at the start for a returning customer.
Content Migration: If your content didn’t come over such as waypoints or tracks we should still have it in our system and can restore it for you. Just give us a call/email. [email protected]
No data carried over, contact CS, If you changed your email it might be under a different account
You made waypoints in the Beta App, those will not carry over.
I lost some of my data, contact CS we will see what we can find.
Photo Waypoints, These do not carry over right now when we add that feature back we will try to add those points in then.
Password Reset: It seems our emails are getting through to customers now. If you can’t login do a password reset. Also our Customer service can manually reset a users password was added today just email us and we will send a new password back.
Upgrade to Elite: If you had 2 premium state memberships you are now upgraded to Elite access in the new system. We only have 1 and 50 state memberships. You are grandfathered in at your past purchase prices for Elite.
Saving Maps: Google has turned our servers back up. Saving maps should be much faster now. We are hearing issues of some layers not saving so let us know if you hear that and try to get some info from the user.
Valid Membership/layers say purchase: If your layers are telling you to purchase and it says you have a premium/elite membership do these steps:
Open the Hunt App
Tap on Map Layers
Scroll down and tap Manage States
Disable your State
Select your State
Click the x in the top left corner
Tap Map Layers
Swipe down on the layers menu to refresh your layers
Turn on the layers you wish to view
Membership did not carry over: If you had a Membership and it is saying you have a Basic Membership now, please contact our Customer service they can Re-Add access for you. [email protected]
Import/Export: We are working on adding the import tool back into Web Map. This will allow you to import GPX, KMX, shape files into web map and sync to your phone. We will also follow up after that with ways to export data as well.
Photo waypoints: Did not carry over to the new system. When we add photo waypoints back early this fall we will restore all old photo waypoints at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a user doesn't see their content. They can go to my content and swipe down. This will do a content refresh and has been restoring some users data today.

whaack

WKR
I've been in touch with CS via email a couple time. Over 1/2 my waypoints didn't migrate for my upcoming elk trip. The last email from CS basically said I was SOL. Does that sound right to you?

PF_JM

FNG
Is there a way to see wilderness area boundaries?

ETA: Found it in the National layers.

Last edited:

whaack

WKR
Update, after a call into support and chatting with them my old waypoint came back today when I refreshed. Thank you OnXmaps!

I'll try and keep you all abreast of everything that is happening. It's all happening very fast, so lots of changes. For those who are worried, don't be, it will all get squared away.

Who's worried? My app doesn't work and I find out just 1 day before I leave on a 2 week hunt this Saturday. There I was showing off my offline maps to a friend and whenever I try to use the App outside of cell phone range or "off line" the app crashes, every single time. I have saved maps and when I zoom in, about 3-4 seconds later, the app crashes.

Can I ask a simple question: Who the hell decided it was a good idea to upgrade the app right before hunting season?

I mean two weeks ago, I was using the app fine without any issues and was getting really comfortable with it. I was able to find a lot of hunting areas with the trails and roads functions. Now I have to scramble and figure out some way to navigate to these hunt areas and without that, I guess I just hunt in my backyard?

Thank you for leaving a hunter high and dry. Makes me wonder why I trusted you guys.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for navigation? I have an old Garmin 60CSX and I just doesn't have the roads information I need to get to the areas.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Does anyone else have any suggestions for navigation? I have an old Garmin 60CSX and I just doesn't have the roads information I need to get to the areas.

I still use a Garmin 60CSX with a CO OnX chip. I have a NM tag this year and was debating buying that chip, but did a scouting trip a couple weeks ago and the base map that the GPS has in it was "good enough" for a one and done hunt. It had all the roads and NF designations, etc but no topo detail of any sort. With my maps it'll work.

hobbes

WKR
I use OnX myself and also find it foolish at best to roll out major changes right before hunting season. However, navigation existed before cell phones and GPS and Im not about to let it affect my hunt if it crashes and never starts back again. I only use OnX to locate boundaries between private and public land.

Buy a Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer of the State that you are hunting. Print out aerial photos of the region if necessary. Buy and study BLM, topo, or FS maps. Its not as convenient, but it works.

UPDATE:

I spoke with Jared at Onx Maps and they explained that this was a known issue. They felt really bad and pretty much bent over backwards to help me. They gave me a free upgrade to Elite membership and then sent a Nevada Chip to the local post office nearest to my hunting grounds for free. This was a very good display of customer service and really appreciate it.

I went out and bought a new Garmin Reno 755t and will need to come out of wilderness for just a few hours to pick up the chip. Hopefully this will all work.

Meanwhile, yes, I already had BLM maps and a Delorme Gazeteer. Always had those, but boy do they lack a ton of detail. I still miss my Onx Hunt map app but this will do.

Many thanks to the folks at Onx Maps in doing their best to fix this as best they could given that I leave tomorrow morning.

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke with them yesterday on a few issues and they were great to work with. Good customer service always wins my business.

ACC

FNG
I lost all my offline maps and have re downloaded the new maps for my up coming hunt in NM the detail of the new maps is terrific.

The thing I don't like is the overlapping grid lines on the maps, I didn't have those with the old tile maps. Is there any way of getting rid of those annoying gridlines?

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
UPDATE:

I spoke with Jared at Onx Maps and they explained that this was a known issue. They felt really bad and pretty much bent over backwards to help me. They gave me a free upgrade to Elite membership and then sent a Nevada Chip to the local post office nearest to my hunting grounds for free. This was a very good display of customer service and really appreciate it.

I went out and bought a new Garmin Reno 755t and will need to come out of wilderness for just a few hours to pick up the chip. Hopefully this will all work.

Meanwhile, yes, I already had BLM maps and a Delorme Gazeteer. Always had those, but boy do they lack a ton of detail. I still miss my Onx Hunt map app but this will do.

Many thanks to the folks at Onx Maps in doing their best to fix this as best they could given that I leave tomorrow morning.

You got a better customer service rep than I did when I called. I had a similar situation except I was just scouting. But driving 15 hours out of state and getting in the area only to realize none of my offline maps worked so I had to wing it the whole time. I had already paid full price for two hunt chips and the elite membership and it was like pulling teeth for them to give me two extra months on my membership because of their **** up. I'm disappointed in their service to say the least

dotman

WKR
So I downloaded the app and am doing the 7 day trial. I find it funny that out of everything they have they didn't build a compass into it. Also do you get better detail when you actually buy? I have a few state specific chips for my Garmin and they show way more detail, seems like the app is 100k and not 24k in the topo layer.

I'm not sold that this is better then their gps chips/downloads as far as a smartphone goes.

Last edited:
Another Update:

So I got the Nevada OnX chip and was surprised to find out that it did not have any of the satellite images, only the over lays and trail information. While I appreciate the effort from OnX, I was pretty disappointed to have driven 7 hours round trip out of the wilderness and back just to get something my Garmin Rino 755t already had, the 100k base maps.

Oh well, at least they tried and I appreciate the effort, still pissed that I could not use a lot of my prior scouting data to full effect. It gives me cautious reservations regarding future use of the App.