Where to buy a Gransfors small forest axe.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Have you looked at the Wetterlings Backcountry Axe?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Amazon honestly has the best prices on them that I've seen. I think I've seen them as low as $155. I bought my GB Wildlife Hatchet off there and I freaking love that thing.

Saw them in Cody. Think it was Rky Mtn Discount Sports. They were proud of them though :eek:

OP
Thanks guy. Looks like $125 shipped is going to be a really good price for a new one.
On the Wetterlings, sounds like they can be hit or miss. Some issues are more common. So I think Gransfors seems like a bit better quality control. Just what I have gathered for my internet research so may not be the case. Both seem like great quality tools typically.

Transforms is a thing of beauty. I bought from Duluth pack An american felling axe for me and a small Forrest ax as a gift for my step dad. Both are great. Sharp as knives. Well made. Show pieces with a purpose. The swedes can make a friggin axe.

I love swinging that thing at a tree every now and the but to be honest, I baby it. Like a hunting rifle with scroll work and blue ING set in a fine stock. I just don't use it the way I use cheaper gear.

For axes, I have a hardware store special and a fiskars axe and hatchet that really do all the work.

If you want something with style and can spend the coin, go for it. But if you are really looking for something to tote around in the woods I would go fiskars for less than a quarter of the price.

OP
I think the manufacturer would disagree. I am pretty sure they are making a tool to be used, abused and that will take a beating a last.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Gransfors forest axe (25") and really like it. The handle alone is a feature that places it above the competition. They just don't take a chunk of wood and shape out a handle. When you handle one, you can see that they take great care in selecting the wood and orienting the grain correctly. Very comfortable to handle and swing. They are pricy though. I am looking for a good price on the smaller hatchet or hunter's axe.

The problem with the Husqvarna and a few other "forged" axes is they stamp the logo between the handle and the edge which creates a weak spot exactly where you don't want it. Lots of reviews online showing them broken.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone has the time I would suggest finding an old ax head at a garage or estate sale even eBay although they are getting pricyer and refinishing/reshafting it. Most everything made in the mid 80s and prior was forged with high quality American steel superior to American Steel of today and can be brought back to life and used for their intended purpose. You can also customize the new shaft to your liking. Many heads can be found for 10 dollars or less and a new handle is around 25 or so. You will be proud of your axe and not afraid to use the hell out of it as the biggest investment is your time. If you do break the shaft you will have the knowledge to replace it. If you have some time to kill in the off season refinishing a classic american axe isnt a bad way to do it

These are badass hatchets! A couple of the guides in our outfitter camp carried them in their pack daily, and even used them for skinning out both deer and elk. They are insanely sharp, awesome tools!

I've carried a GB Small Forest for several years, and before it I owned their Hunter's model. GB isn't the only good name in the market, but they are definitely on top. I'll be the first to admit the prices aren't cheap. On the other hand, I own a bunch of knives that cost far more each than my GB axes did. I've never found a new GB axe or hatchet at a cheap price, so I tend to pay the going rate. I don't really mind because I know what I'm getting and how much use I give it.

Every new GB axe I've owned or held has had a flawless handle. They're picking through a lot of hickory to find wood that clear and straight. Also, they sharpen them to literal shaving sharpness... as good or better than many knives. I use mine to pound tent stakes and anchors, clear brushy campsites, split firewood, make fine matchstick kindling, de-limb spruce poles, and as needed when taking apart big animals. One of my best investments in true backcountry camp gear.

Mosby

WKR
If you sign up for LL Bean emails they will send you coupons 20-30% off. I bought my son an axe from them. Not my favorite place to do business with but you can get decent buy's with their coupons on particular items.

Trial153

WKR
LL Bean had 40% off awhile back on GB. I picked up an outdoor axe, weights about a pound. Hell of a tool.

What are you using to sharpen your axe? I'd be interested in both at home and in the field options.

What are you using to sharpen your axe? I'd be interested in both at home and in the field options.

At home: Work Sharp - Ken Onion model with blade grinding attachment.

Field: 6" broadhead file. I modified the edges of the file by rounding and smoothing them to create a steeling tool. I file the axe first and get it trued up, then do a final edge alignment with the steel. I like a very sharp axe which bites quickly and doesn't glance off.

boom

WKR
i have the GB small forest axe. this was during the time of my life i went insane for axes.

i luckily found a small Japanese woodworking shop going out of business. $85 bucks!! if i knew of the impending frenzy i would have bought them all and passed on the savings. i think there were four left when i grabbed mine.

it is a good axe. chops chicken heads off like nothing. mine is razor sharp. slices paper as well as my knives.

i rarely use it now..last time was taking the limbs off my Christmas tree so i could fit in the green bin.

sharpning, i use a diamond file thing.

I'm not positive but I believe that this axe is almost identical to the Hults Bruk Aneby hatchet. I have one of those and the thing is scary sharp. Light enough that it is easily packed out.

ETA: For those wondering if there is a difference between this type of axe and cheaper ones.... Yes there is.... I use a hatchet at work and the cheap ones can't keep an edge! I carried a file and couldn't work on the things enough!