Blaze Orange vest for Montana Rifle Elk Hunt

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, I am normally a Bow hunter, but I am going on a Guided Hunt for my Dad's 70th Birthday! Very Excited, going with my Dad, Brother, and Nephew! Really hoping my Dad and Nephew can shoot Huge Bulls together! It would be a Great Grandpa and Grandson Memory!
Anyways, I am looking for a good Blaze vest to go over my other hunting clothing. This is a late November hunt, so should be cold! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Going with Cody Carr's Hunting Adventures.

ericF

WKR
You don't have to be fancy. I also use the bare minimum that I picked up at Walmart. I think it is an Allen vest maybe.

hobbes

WKR
I wear some of the chesper vests early season, but they are a pain in the butt taking off and on and dont really provide good coverage.

I prefer a better vest that zips up. It doesnt have to be expensive. I can pick something very similar to this up at Bob Wards adter season for about $10. I like the grey camo pattern over the orange. In late November you may even prefer the blaze orange fleece jacket. A jacket gives more visibility when wearing a pack.

Access Denied

vanish

WKR
I would not advise a camo or mesh option as they are not legal in every state.

Otherwise don't overthink it.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if Blaze Camo is legal in Mt. or not? I am from Oregon. I know, I could look in the regs, but hoping someone on here could say. Also thinking I want more of a zip up with pockets. Liked the looks of the Kryptek one, but can't find it in stock.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I buy the super cheap ones. When I'm walking in with my pack I usually use an extra one and strap it to the outside of my pack since the pack covers so much of my body. Firstlite makes a marino vest that is very nice. It's cut pretty generously to go over clothing. If I wanted a nice vest for the rest of my life I'd go with the FL.

hobbes

WKR
Not sure if Blaze Camo is legal in Mt. or not? I am from Oregon. I know, I could look in the regs, but hoping someone on here could say. Also thinking I want more of a zip up with pockets. Liked the looks of the Kryptek one, but can't find it in stock.

Blaze camo is legal in Montana.

Gumbo

WKR
I just go to any sportsman's warehouse or similar store and get a $15 blaze/camo fleece vest when I need a new one. I also have a cheapo lightweight mesh one for hotter weather. I wanted to like the sitka, but it is too noisy and I can't justify the cost. And I like the pseudo camo vests.

Bar

Banned

You should know all the regs for a state if you're going to hunt there.

guided must mean either lodge or wall tent..... Cabelas sells their own brand blaze fleece vest for around $20 and is durable as all get out. Very high value for the $$ IMO. Not a warm weather garment but it's my go to late season vest. It's a pain to dry if it gets wet but if you're in a wall tent or lodge that won't be an issue. I ran cheapos for years and won't go back.... Tried UA's it's like wearing a plastic bag... Looked at sitka's but can't justify the $100 for a blaze vest that gets worn seldom.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks BAR for the lecture! And I thought my Mom lived in Oregon!;) I will be reading them more when it gets closer! Concentrating on getting ready to Chase Archery Bulls in Hell's Canyon here in Oregon at the Moment!

Anyways, I am looking for a good Blaze vest to go over my other hunting clothing. This is a late November hunt, so should be cold! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Going with Cody Carr's Hunting Adventures.

Doesn't have pockets, but only weighs a couple ounces: Orange Aglow

We're based in Montana and everything is guaranteed legal here, including the camo orange. The vests are great for late season because they will stretch over your layers.

I have the under Armour version. Probably my favorite but honestly it doesn't work any better than the cheap versions.

I keep an orange aglow vest, panel and a .mil tiny nylon bandanna type signal panel in my pack. I hang the panels near my set up during turkey season. While I don't wear them whhen I am still hunting or sitting a stand in bow season, when I pack out turkey or drag deer I put on some orange. Some of the public land I hunt is heavily trafficked and I think it is better to be visible some times than not.

The orange aglow stuff is light and cheap.

KHNC

WKR
How did the hunt go with Cody Carr? Was it a november rifle?