Which Camp Duffle Bag?

tommy1005

FNG
I'm looking to buy a new duffle to travel with for an elk hunt this fall, and also to take to Canada on a Black Bear Hunt and Africa. I have looked at the Kuiu Taku 5500 and the North Face Large Base Camp Duffle (5800 cuft). Just thought I'd see if anybody had positives and negatives to either of these bags or if there's another bag out there that I should be looking at.

Both of these seem to be around $130, so I'd like to stick to that price range if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Trial153

WKR
I have duffles from filson and also sea line. Both are excellent products. Filson gets the nod for toughness and air travel. However dry style duffel bags have a great place when float planes/ bush planes on are the menu.... I have had many a day with Gear sitting on the dock or strip waiting with weather that made me happy for a dry bag.
Another company that might have an offering is simms.

slick

WKR
Think Patagonia makes a decent duffle too. Skier/Climber friends use them when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rs3003

WKR
I just bought a Cabelas duffel bag. It's well built and I got it for under $100. I would buy another if needed.

I've got a few different sizes of the northface base camp bags that I've been happy with.
If you know anyone who has a promotive/experticity log in you can get them for 40-50% off

Get something with wheels. It makes traveling sooooo much easier, airport lines, cabs, hotels, everything is easier with wheels.

Don't get the big Sitka rolling duffel. It is the crappiest piece of equipment they make in my opinion. Mine has gone on 3 round trip flights, and I'm about to throw it away. The external snaps popped off the first trip. The zipper sticks. The corners have had the threads come out of the stitching. It is junk. $400 junk.

Take a look at Scuba Diving bags like ScubaPro and Akona too. Patagonias are also nice.

colonel00

WKR
Unless there's a reason you need to pay a lot of money for a duffel, I've used one of these and flown with it several times full of gear to Alaska and back. I got the largest size which I believe is technically larger than what airlines allow but I've never had them question the size of a duffel as long as it has some squish to it.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-deluxe-camo-gear-bag

Also, I've used these bags to travel on flights quite a few times. I have one of these larger ones that I carry two PR-49 packrafts and all of the paddles and other gear and it comes in under the 50lb limit. They have a great warranty and customer service too. For the price range you are looking at, you could buy 5 of these.

Amazon.com: Northstar Sports 1050 HD Tuff Cloth Diamond Ripstop Series Gear and Duffle Bag, 18 x 42-Inch, Pacific Blue: Sports & Outdoors

If my math is correct, either of these bags is 180L+. If you are going to check a bag, you might as well take advantage of space.

Last edited:
I've drug a large North Face rubberized duffel all over the planet, to the middle east and back a few times. It's as solid as it gets. Still use it for to get base camp gear into my ice climbing camp every winter. It's great.

Get a B.A.D Duffel if you want a bag that will last a lifetime. They are made out of 1,000-denier CORDURA, double-stitched and seam-taped, 2" seat-belt webbing, DWR finish, and a lifetime warranty.

dotman

WKR
Outdoorsmans has large one for a decent price Body Bag Storage Bag

The Body Bag Storage Bag, with it's roll down buckle closure, was designed to protect your most valuable gear while traveling abroad or driving a dirt road into your hunting spot. Big enough to fit the Western Hunter Sleeping Bag or your Outdoorsmans Pack System these dry style bags are designed to keep your gear dry and clean no matter the destination. 27" wide x 51" high. 397 Liter Capacity.
$ 59.99

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a cabelas roll top dry bag duffel. It's gigantic, you could fit a full kit and pack in it. I originally got it for the Mexico and Alaska hunts when we're traveling across water or whatever, but it's been a great bag. I'd definitely get wheels on my next one though. Kifaru also makes a kick ass tough duffel.

colonel00

WKR
Outdoorsmans has large one for a decent price Body Bag Storage Bag

The Body Bag Storage Bag, with it's roll down buckle closure, was designed to protect your most valuable gear while traveling abroad or driving a dirt road into your hunting spot. Big enough to fit the Western Hunter Sleeping Bag or your Outdoorsmans Pack System these dry style bags are designed to keep your gear dry and clean no matter the destination. 27" wide x 51" high. 397 Liter Capacity.
$ 59.99

That thing is enormous. Pretty good price for such a big bag but getting that on a plane might be a challenge unless you leave it very empty.