Suggestions to hike and camp at Glacier Natl Park

aron

WKR
Looking to plan a trip with the wife at Glacier in a week or two. Would be there for 5 nights. Looking for suggestions on some of the better trails and campgrounds. I imagine st reservation campgrounds are booked. Would also be interested in a place to hike in for one or two nights. Good places to eat and also some things that aren't the usual touristy spots. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Me and my brother stayed at the Going to the Sun lodge. We stayed in a "cabin" that was basically a plywood tent with a heater.

We hiked the Highline Trail to the Granite Park Chalet. One of the parks best trails. We also hiked to the Grinel Glacier but got chased down by a thunderstorm. Another trail that we wanted to try was the Ptarmigan Tunnel, but it was closed because of grizzly bears spotted on the trail near Iceberg Lake, which is on the way. Either way, the Highline Trail was by far my favorite. And sitting on the porch of the Granite Park Chalet was worth the 12 mile hike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Head up to Bowman lake. N hike to akokala lake it's like 6 mile hike if I remember correctly. Cool place can't wait to get back

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

archer60

FNG
Ditto on the Highline.....also try Avalanche Lake, a super ay hike. They had it shut down a month ago due to grizzlies but open now. Bring your camera!!

One trick to visiting the Granite Park Chalet is to get on the Highline Trail at the Logans Pass visitor center, then after visiting or staying overnight at the chalet, drop down 2 miles to "The Loop" parking area and catch a free shuttle ride back to the visitors center. Make sure to stow your sidearm in your pack. I took one along with bear spray. And firearms aren't allowed inside park vehicles or buildings.

OP
A

aron

WKR
One trick to visiting the Granite Park Chalet is to get on the Highline Trail at the Logans Pass visitor center, then after visiting or staying overnight at the chalet, drop down 2 miles to "The Loop" parking area and catch a free shuttle ride back to the visitors center. Make sure to stow your sidearm in your pack. I took one along with bear spray. And firearms aren't allowed inside park vehicles or buildings.

Thanks for all the info so far amd that's good to know about the sidearm. We will for sure do high line hike. Trying to track down some of the more private type camping options.

GNP is pretty spectacular but man, it is a zoo in the summer. We were able to snag a spot at Avalanche campground by showing up at 7 am and driving around until we saw somebody packing up. They let us put our tag on their spot and we came back when they left. Those folks got that spot the same way we did and somebody grabbed it from us as we were packing up. Avalanche Lake was very pretty but there were upwards of 75 people there at 10 am. The hike from Logan Pass up to an overlook where you could see Hidden Lake was nice at sunset (much less people). When we go back to the park some year we'll do it in the fall to get away from the crowds a bit.

OP
A

aron

WKR
Yah i realize it will be a zoo but I have vacation I need to burn up soon and if it's later, I would rather be hunting

Randle

WKR
We just spent a weekend there. My tip would be if you do the highline, park some where other then the Logan pass area. We stopped lower on the road and rode the shuttle up. As long as you can take all you need for the day in your pack
and don't need to go to your car this works great. Parking at the top is a zoo.

2ski

WKR
I was supposed to go to Glacier with short notice last year with a "friend" and she decided that we could get a campsite when we got there. I looked and everything was reserved. I called a campground in West Glacier, not Park Service, as a way to hedge my bets and they said they shouldn't have an issue with people wanting to throw a tent up if need be. Plenty of space to do so.

We never did make it there. I guess something to do with I didn't seem to commit to the trip in her eyes. I don't know why. I don't know why. I called her my "friend." And now we're not "friends' anymore. She told me the other day she's going to meet the family of her boyfriend and they are taking that trip to Glacier. But I'm guessing he doesn't just call her his "friend".......:cool:

I was too chicken to campout at Glacier.

70286aaf74fccfc13fe389e96b78a897.jpg

Drop dead gorgeous scenery everywhere in there. I'm a bit of a woose when it comes to Griz. I'd have bear spray and a battery bear fence if I was going to be in a tent up there. It is pretty crazy crowded this time of year. It's a bucket list location though!