Ways to reduce recoil?

What are some different ways or things I can do to my rifle to help reduce recoil? I've seen those things Limbsaver makes that you put on your barrel. Not sure if they work. I'm shooting a Browning Abolt in 30-06 which doesn't kick that hard but still looking for ways to reduce recoil to help with further shots. Any help would be great!!! Thanks

Brendan

WKR
Three ways that I know of:

Install a Muzzle Brake.

Increase the Weight of the Rifle.

Use reduced power loads.

Installing a muzzle break would work good but know it will make the gun louder than before. Adding weight to the stock works good also but obviously makes it heavier to carry. Many people don't like muzzle breaks but I personally find a lot of value in them and have breaks on most of our guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KClark

WKR
What are some different ways or things I can do to my rifle to help reduce recoil? I've seen those things Limbsaver makes that you put on your barrel. Not sure if they work. I'm shooting a Browning Abolt in 30-06 which doesn't kick that hard but still looking for ways to reduce recoil to help with further shots. Any help would be great!!! Thanks

The device Limbsaver makes that slides on the barrel is to reduce/change barrel harmonics, it does nothing to reduce recoil.

The Limbsaver AirTech recoil pad is very effective at helping with recoil. It is soft and very squishy, really, really helped tame my T3 300 WSM. They make one pre-fit to your A-Bolt.

The biggest problem with recoil in an A-Bolt is stock design.

DWarcher

WKR
The Limbsaver AirTech recoil pad is very effective at helping with recoil. It is soft and very squishy, really, really helped tame my T3 300 WSM. They make one pre-fit to your A-Bolt.

^This!!! I did the same with my Tikka and I was shocked at what it did for the recoil.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Or the expensive route of a nice suppressor. Adds a little weight while reducing recoil and sound. :cool:

Attachments

• 300 WM.jpg
    300 WM.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 66

elkduds

WKR
I'll guess you mainly experience too much recoil during target shooting. Most don't notice recoil as much or at all when shooting @ game.

@ the range, one recoil reducer you already have is a soft-side gun case. Zip it shut. Put it over your shoulder so the gun butt is padded by the skinny end of the gun case, the rest of the case goes down your back. Another option is a canvas bag w a few pounds of birdshot, put that between the butt and your shoulder.

I notice less recoil from sitting position away from bench, than w rifle rested on a bench. Prone is the worst for recoil, also gives you the shortest eye relief.

As noted above, a quality recoil pad like Decelerator or Limbsaver will make a noticeable difference, adds little weight, and you always have it w you when shooting.

Hall256

WKR
How expensive are you talking about and where can I get one? Would it be legal to have on my gun in Ca where I live?
Haha...legal in CA! Come on, nothing is legal in California

If you ever leave California, the Gemtech Tracker is a pretty good suppressor to use for a dedicated hunting rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
D
Haha...legal in CA! Come on, nothing is legal in California

If you ever leave California, the Gemtech Tracker is a pretty good suppressor to use for a dedicated hunting rifle.

I knew it wouldn't be legal in Ca. I wrote that cause I love the responses from out of staters😜😜

Hall256

WKR
I knew it wouldn't be legal in Ca. I wrote that cause I love the responses from out of staters
Yep, I lived in California for about 30 years...it is going to be painful if/when I have to move back. So many new gums will have to sit in my safe unused for a few years.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
You can also just shoot lighter grain bullets in your rifle. The beauty of 30-06 is it's available in a multitude of loads from different manufactures. You might be able to find reduced recoil loads or just shooting a lighter bullet might be enough of a difference.

what ammo are you shooting? In my 06, factory 165 stuff is pretty mild, but stepping up to a good 180 handload is a whole different animal.

Antlers

FNG
Shooting from field positions and shooting more regularly will reduce felt recoil considerably. The more you shoot, the more you acclimate to recoil.

Muzzle Brake. It may be louder but they do a great job of reducing recoil and follow up shots are much faster.

Bar

Banned
I used to make a living trap shooting. The best recoil reduction I ever owned was a Hyda-coil stock. It was a two piece stock with shock absorbers connecting the two. It made the heavy 12ga loads feel like a 410.

All the normal ways will help. Magna-Port, muzzle brake, Sims recoil pad on gun and shoulder pad, more weight, lighter bullets etc etc.

A proper fitting stock will help too.

OP
D
Thanks for the input!!! This may be a dumb question but my rifle does not have a muzzle break. Is that something I can buy and thread in the barrel or do I have to send the gun in and have one put on? Thanks and sorry if that's a beyond dumb question lol

Fatcamp

WKR
There are bolt on brakes. Cheap and expensive. I would opt for expensive, but have never used one.

Great advice from everyone.

I use a "lead sled" at the range. It reduces recoil but more importantly it is accurate, letting me know what the gun/load does.

As said before, shooting at game you shouldn't feel the recoil.

I've shot 4-500 rounds, at the range, outta my .338 with pretty hot loads, accurately. Then I got a Lead Sled.

But with the "Lead Sled" I know the round is going where the barrel points. No, " s&$t, I pulled that one." Worth the $150.00 to know where your guns are shooting.