Garmin Inreach Explorer

Gobbler36

WKR
So just sold my 64st which I loved for the possibility of getting this unit for texting the wife and map feature but my questions are how good is the map feature and battery life? The 64st wasn't great battery life as if you used it all day it'd only last a day and a half. Does this unit fully replace a gps in your mind or are they going the right direction just haven't fine tuned everything?

In my mind it is a communication device and not a GPS.

I will continue to carry a separate gps.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
Used my inreach explorer for over 12 hours today and went from 87% down to 72% battery life. I don't have any problems using the GPS. I Bluetooth it to my phone and use the earthmate app. The screen on the inreach itself is very small and is not a touch screen. My wife has a little more peace in her heart knowing that she can get a hold of me and I her, and that is worth a lot more than $300 to us. I do not see the need for a separate GPS.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
My inReach is last years Delorme version and I have the earthmate app downloaded on my phone that will Bluetooth to the inReach and I look at my maps on the app. My inReach itself map is just a blank screen, if I want topo maps I have to look at the phone. Seems to be plenty of maps to choose from USGS topo or satellite imagery topo. It's nice to have the text message deal available gives my wife peace of mind and it will pin point where I'm at when I send the message, I have had instances where the message didn't send or receive though.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Used my inreach explorer for over 12 hours today and went from 87% down to 72% battery life. I don't have any problems using the GPS. I Bluetooth it to my phone and use the earthmate app. The screen on the inreach itself is very small and is not a touch screen. My wife has a little more peace in her heart knowing that she can get a hold of me and I her, and that is worth a lot more than $300 to us. I do not see the need for a separate GPS.

Nice, is the earth mate app easy to use?

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
I fee like it is. I'm a pretty low tech guy, and I figured it out. I did have to download some maps to my phone.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok. I would never go elk hunting without my Garmin 64 and map chips. That said I was hoping to get an Inreach just for communication. I'll be hunting New Mexico with zero reception. I would like to be able to get out some updates here and to home. How easy would this be and what do you guys think of this option?

Les

SWOHTR

WKR
If you bring your inreach, bring your phone. It makes messaging a lot less tedious.

Then you're up to 3 electronic devices, unless you rely on inreach and the Earthmate app for your position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I already bring 3. Garmin 64, Garmin 550, and phone. I would replace 550 with Inreach.

mvmnts

WKR
Said before, but I'll add another vote. It's a fantastic messenger and a shitty gps. I still got the gps version though because it's another redundancy for no extra weight, and it gives more accurate positioning with the barometric altimeter. I use my phone as a gps and as a keyboard for sending messages. I don't ever use the inreach directly except to turn it on and off.

For all of those talking about the crappiness of the GPS, is everyone using the new Garmin device or the old Delorme? With the dramatic price difference in the new models I would hope the Garmin version has upped the quality of the GPS. If they haven't I am very tempted to swipe up the old Delorme version on Amazon and save $200 before they can't be found anymore.

cnelk

WKR
Les Welch
I took my InReach to Alaska last year on my moose hunt and sent home daily updates by just using the unit itself [I have another GPS unit] and it worked flawlessly
In 8 days I did not have to recharge it

I have done some battery life testing with mine and with a full charge, leaving it on and sending 1-2 communications per day, the battery declines ~13-15%/ day.

I have since downloaded the Earthmate APP to my iphone and use that occasionally via Bluetooth.
Easy to txt and look at topo on your phone
I have noticed that I dont get near the battery life with this setup tho

I just spent the weekend up in the mtns checking cams and scouting.
In my pack is my GPS and my InReach.
I use them separately and usually leave my phone in my truck

But I do know that some people are addicted to their phone and wont be caught without it

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
For all of those talking about the crappiness of the GPS, is everyone using the new Garmin device or the old Delorme? With the dramatic price difference in the new models I would hope the Garmin version has upped the quality of the GPS. If they haven't I am very tempted to swipe up the old Delorme version on Amazon and save $200 before they can't be found anymore.
Yes this is exactly what I've been trying to ask is the garmin Inreach version a shitty gps and is everyone carrying the garmin inreach plus another GPS if so that's a ton of coin to be dropping in two units

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider

This.

I bought this unit and played around with it last weekend. Gps doesn't use much battery power and I texted and received texts many times throughout the day with the battery still over 70%. I was impressed with how fast the texts actually come through.... Usually ~30 seconds or so. I think the gps features are adequate if not decent. The Bluetooth connection and earth mate app make a huge difference for both gps and texting. I am very glad I purchased this unit. It makes my wife feel more comfortable to maintain contact with me which in the short term and long term allow me to spend more time on the mountain. It's awesome.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les Welch
I took my InReach to Alaska last year on my moose hunt and sent home daily updates by just using the unit itself [I have another GPS unit] and it worked flawlessly
In 8 days I did not have to recharge it

I have done some battery life testing with mine and with a full charge, leaving it on and sending 1-2 communications per day, the battery declines ~13-15%/ day.

I have since downloaded the Earthmate APP to my iphone and use that occasionally via Bluetooth.
Easy to txt and look at topo on your phone
I have noticed that I dont get near the battery life with this setup tho

I just spent the weekend up in the mtns checking cams and scouting.
In my pack is my GPS and my InReach.
I use them separately and usually leave my phone in my truck

But I do know that some people are addicted to their phone and wont be caught without it

Great, thanks for the info! I always carry my phone for the quick and ease of simple pictures and text updates when I can find service. I'll use it for the keyboard as long as I have it. It will make the multiple daily updates here easier.

Thanks Brad.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at the subscription services.....is the number of texts per day, or per monthly subscription?

TJ

WKR
I'm looking at the subscription services.....is the number of texts per day, or per monthly subscription?

Les, I am pretty sure the number of texts is by the month.

I am also a fan of the earthmate app. It is very easy to check your location with earthmate on your phone. Saves lots of time instead of pulling out a map. I will always have map and compass, but this app is very handy to use, IMO.