Learn me about GPS

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
So folks I see all this talk about "GPS this", "inreach" that, sat phone this, hunt-x iPhone something....

Well I can tell you I am familiar with using a very basic GPS to plot a course or keep track of position, and I have used the Hunt-X app for finding landowners in the name if waterfowl hunting, but other than that it's always been map and compass type deals if I ever get lost.

Well it looks like because of everyone I know being super busy, there is a high chance that I will be all alone out there in the elk woods this year, so therefore I must ask, is there like a "satellite communications for idiots" guide?

Like for instance, the thought of having a land ownership or unit map in the palm of my hand sounds really nice, while also having something to tell people I'm okay or even send an SOS signal would be even better. Is this all capable under one device or should I just add an emergency SOS beacon to my pack and go on doing what I've been doing for so long?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
My preference is for the non-GPS inreach. I Bluetooth pair my smart phone to it for easier typing, and so also use my phone as a GPS (Gaia gps app). I'm already bringing the phone for inreach messaging, no need to carry a separate GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use DIY hunting map chips. It lists landowner info and such. I put the chip in the Garmin Dakota GPS. Easy as that.

Don't be intimidated. If you can dial a phone, you can use a gps with maps. No more stopping to check the map. Just turn it on and go. I don't use my phone because my battery doesn't last very long. Plus, if I ruined my phone, I'd be out a lot of work info. I bought the gps used. I have less than $140 in all of it. Give it a try. Paper maps are great for base camp. No need for them in the elk woods for my uses