Favorite Backcountry Lunch

If you can't muster "quick energy" when needed while elk hunting even without food, there's something wrong with you. I operate on pure adrenaline every time I get a bull going.

I probably only eat about 1/2 what I would normally eat in a given day at home, so I'm already running on a deficit......which is why I'll lose 15-20 lbs during September, and I have no fat to spare as it is.
This is true for me as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
spam slice [the single] and a bread or cake. string cheese and trail mix
and hot coffee- every day.
i have made mac and cheese [the singles] or ramen on a cold day but not often

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I like to have snack type meals for lunch. 9 times out of 10, I don't boil water or premake a bunch of stuff for lunch meals. I bring a mixture of items based on the day. If I bring the same thing every day, I won't eat it. With that being said, I bring the following depending upon the day:

-2 Honey Stingers with a PB and Co Smooth operator packet for sugar/fat/carb
-Epic Bar (not Salmon) for protein
-1 cup of Kirkland Trail mix for salt/fat
-Something different depending upon the day (dukes shorty sausage, green belly meals (half), etc...)

I discovered the butthole sandwich on this site and haven't looked any farther for quick and easy lunch. I also pack dried mangoes, Snickers, Clif bars, etc. I get super bored quick and like to munch.

Ramen+tuna is another staple in my pack. I don't always cook the ramen. Sometimes I just crunch is up into a quart bag, add half the seasoning and a little shot of water to soften slightly, add the tuna and mix well. It's kind of like a crunchy tuna salad.

tttoadman

WKR
I have 3 short meal bags with a stinger waffle, some fruit and nut mix, a couple mini candy bars. I force myself to stop and eat throughout the day. A MH at night and I am all good.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
My son goes nuts over sardines at lunch. Then he throws can back in backpack when done , never putting back in zip lock bag , thus leaking all over his inside of bag. Drives me nuts.

My son goes nuts over sardines at lunch. Then he throws can back in backpack when done , never putting back in zip lock bag , thus leaking all over his inside of bag. Drives me nuts.

I love sardines but have sworn them off in the backcountry for that reason. Even being careful you are likely to end up fishy.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I pack a solid breakfast mush, and a solid dinner that I dehydrate myself. For lunch and throughout the day I generally have a variety of bars that make up my calorie difference from the breakfast and dinner, generally around 1000 or so calories worth of bars. I lean toward bars that are gluten free, high in protein and moderate carbs. Typically that ends up being 3-4 bars or other on the go prepacked snacks. Other options are trail mix, or my other favorite homemade macaroons. I also found a great recipe for home made bars from the hunt harvest health podcast, the recipe gives you 25 bars at approx 300 calories per bar, and they are delicious. I go the bar route in case I am on the go it doesn't require any prep or having to stop and prepare a meal.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do those bars from hunt harvest health stay fresh long? Lot of the ingredients have no preservatives so just wondering how they'll hold up after 7 days in back country

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
Do those bars from hunt harvest health stay fresh long? Lot of the ingredients have no preservatives so just wondering how they'll hold up after 7 days in back country

The base ingredients are all non refrigerated to begin with so I don't see there being an issue. That being said I haven't taken them on a hunt yet, end of this month will be the first one I will either coat them in coconut flour or wrap in wax paper and vacuum seal them to pack in my food setup. But I have been eating a batch around the house and so far so good.

dotman

WKR
spam slice [the single] and a bread or cake. string cheese and trail mix
and hot coffee- every day.
i have made mac and cheese [the singles] or ramen on a cold day but not often

I tried the single slice spam last year, first time I ever had spam, I liked it!

530Chukar

WKR
Those of you eating PB&J on tortillas, are you pre-making these at home or in the field? If in the field I'm assuming there is some sort of single use packaging?

Those of you eating PB&J on tortillas, are you pre-making these at home or in the field? If in the field I'm assuming there is some sort of single use packaging?

I use a jar of goobers . It has peanut butter and jelly all in one

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member

I make my PBJ Tortillas in the field. These are handy as can be:

Access Denied - Coghlan's Squeeze Tubes

Huge fan of the butthole sandwich and the hoagie stogie as well. Variety is the spice of life out there for sure. The last thing I ever want to eat on day 5 plus is ANOTHER ProBar or similar.

Mike7

WKR
Sweetened sunflower butter (like Trader Joe's or the Sunbutter w/ cane sugar) + trailmix that contains dark chocolate. Sunflower/Almond/or Peanut butter and honey rollups aren't bad either.

Also really good is toasted sourdough English muffins with a sealed cream cheese packet or two spread on top, and then a sliced carrot on top of that. This is really good and keeps amazingly well if you package each item in their own ziploc sandwich bag. I usually wrap the carrot whole in a small piece of paper towel after washing and placing in the ziploc, and then slice right before eating...and they are always crunchy and fresh tasting, even days later.
If you are really decadent, then you can add precooked bacon stips on top also. I cook it pretty thoroughly, remove excess oil, and then wrap a couple of strips in a paper towel and baggie separately for each lunch, and haven't noticed it tasting off after a few days.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved

Single serve. You can buy a pack of single serve peanut butter in grocery store and I'm guessing jelly also, I know a lot of Restaurants have them.

Beendare

WKR
Reminds me i need to stock up on hot sauce paks at taco bell.

I think my fav is roasting a sausage or grouse over a quick fire...

Fun fact for Bacon guys: the CDC has never had a case of food poisoning reported from bacon

Trial153

WKR
Look for a good German or polish deli and then buy a couple pounds of kabanosy ...thank me later

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
For the guys takingung dried sausage how long does in last unrefrigerated