Favorite Backcountry Lunch

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

Have an Archery hunt planned for early September, and getting all of my food planned. Whats everyones favorite lunch options for what you pack?

BK

Bar

Banned
A natural peanut butter and honey sammich on good wheat bread, fruit, lots of energy and protein bars. Stuff I can carry and not worry about it going bad. Getting sick during a hunt is something i'd never want.

Gobbler36

WKR
With 9 calories/ gram fat is what I want for sustained quick energy
Nuts, butters with bacon on a tortilla pretty good actually or it will be a bagel with the same. Bacon and honey almond butter or cashew butter

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I pack a solid breakfast mush, and a solid dinner that I dehydrate myself. For lunch and throughout the day I generally have a variety of bars that make up my calorie difference from the breakfast and dinner, generally around 1000 or so calories worth of bars. I lean toward bars that are gluten free, high in protein and moderate carbs. Typically that ends up being 3-4 bars or other on the go prepacked snacks. Other options are trail mix, or my other favorite homemade macaroons. I also found a great recipe for home made bars from the hunt harvest health podcast, the recipe gives you 25 bars at approx 300 calories per bar, and they are delicious. I go the bar route in case I am on the go it doesn't require any prep or having to stop and prepare a meal.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I like peanut or almond butter and honey, but my favorite is probably a tuna fish sandwich. You can buy the foil packets for about $1 and then I take a few packets of mayo from chik-fil-a and make up a tuna sandwich on a flat bread or bagel. Other than that it's usually snack food as others have said. Protein bars, nuts & trail mixes, baby bell cheese, jerky, etc.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's all protein and fat. No carbs for quick energy?

If you can't muster "quick energy" when needed while elk hunting even without food, there's something wrong with you. I operate on pure adrenaline every time I get a bull going.

I probably only eat about 1/2 what I would normally eat in a given day at home, so I'm already running on a deficit......which is why I'll lose 15-20 lbs during September, and I have no fat to spare as it is.

oldgoat

WKR
Hard Salami and triscuits! Day hunts from truck camps we make salami sandwiches with muenster cheese sandwich thins. Salami is what powered the Roman Legions, lots of energy in it! We eat the salami first couple days then eat jerky a lot after that!

Bar

Banned
If you can't muster "quick energy" when needed while elk hunting even without food, there's something wrong with you. I operate on pure adrenaline every time I get a bull going.

I probably only eat about 1/2 what I would normally eat in a given day at home, so I'm already running on a deficit......which is why I'll lose 15-20 lbs during September, and I have no fat to spare as it is.

Get back to me when you're 74. Besides at lunch time i'm hungry. Should I not eat to prove how tough I am?

This is one my favorites (but I learned hate that brand of salami I am using in the thread): http://www.rokslide.com/forums/cooking-in-the-wild/20603-hoagie-stogie.html?highlight=hoagie+stogie

If I am boiling water I love these two things

Indomie Mi Goering (which is fancy ramen noodles. It comes with some oils and stuff that I think probably give it more fat and calories than ramen would) https://www.amazon.com/Indomie-Mi-Goreng-InstantNoodle/dp/B00HXIXWKM/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1502126311&sr=8-1&keywords=indo%2Bmei&th=1

Mug shot (Tiny package and requires pretty minimal water, just dump it in my small stove pot/mug, lots of flavors and really good) Amazon.com : Mug Shot Roast Chicken Pasta 55g : Grocery & Gourmet Food

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Get back to me when you're 74. Besides at lunch time i'm hungry. Should I not eat to prove how tough I am?

Eat what you want, it won't matter for quick or slow energy. I'll get back to you when I'm 74, hopefully you'll still be around at 96.

This is one my favorites (but I learned hate that brand of salami I am using in the thread): http://www.rokslide.com/forums/cooking-in-the-wild/20603-hoagie-stogie.html?highlight=hoagie+stogie

If I am boiling water I love these two things

Indomie Mi Goering (which is fancy ramen noodles. It comes with some oils and stuff that I think probably give it more fat and calories than ramen would) https://www.amazon.com/Indomie-Mi-Goreng-InstantNoodle/dp/B00HXIXWKM/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1502126311&sr=8-1&keywords=indo%2Bmei&th=1

Mug shot (Tiny package and requires pretty minimal water, just dump it in my small stove pot/mug, lots of flavors and really good) Amazon.com : Mug Shot Roast Chicken Pasta 55g : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Some great ideas here. Just ordered the 8 flavor variety pack of those noodles.

Cub10

Lil-Rokslider
I like peanut butter & jelly rolled up in a tortilla. Those little tuna lunch kit packs w/crackers are pretty good.