What do you use to wake up in the backcountry?

Dameon

WKR
I drink a lot of water before I hit the sack along with a couple of Motrin PM. I typically wake up an hour before sunrise. I usually have to race back to the tent to turn off my iPhone alarm.

wytx

WKR
Get a battery powered alarm clock. One that uses a AA battery will last for years and is smaller than a pack of cards.You can get a led travel alarm at walmart for $8 or for $12 one with a luminous dial.

elkyinzer

WKR
My Garmin GPS has an alarm that has worked best for me but I've used my phone and watch too. Phone has battery issues and watch I have slept through (very heavy sleeper).

I've been thinking of getting one of the G shock watches with a vibrating alarm on it. I have the same problem as others with my watch in a bag or under my pillow.

Watch and Garmin GPS. I am usually awake well before it goes off however. That is the norm for me in life. I rarely actually use the alarm. I am normally up at 5am,so 4am hunting isn't too much of a stretch.

This gets me outta bed and moving quickly in the morning...if I eat it the night before.

59128_Chili_Mac_with_Beef_540x637.jpg

You can get a cheap pocket watch with a carabiner clip on it. Hang it over you. Wal Mart. Just put the directions with it so you know how to reset it next year. I've also used my phone on airplane mode, extreme power saver, and I believe do not disturb mode all together. The alarm still goes off and you can choose a ring tone that's agreeable to you. My new phone even has a setting to start the alarm softly and get progressively louder. That's cool.

Mmcan

WKR
I can barely sleep thinking about the next day and just don't need an alarm clock. Its not a good thing.

I use a Wobl vibrating wristwatch. The little one. I'm about half deaf, so the vibrator gets the nod. Don't matter if it's down in yer bag, it always gets me up. No phone or gps.....

Muttly

WKR
A friend of mine who finally drew a Kodiak Brownie tag stated that a blacktail running across one of the tent guy lines sounds enough like a bear conducting a raid on the tent to be a real effective wake up call..

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
cant believe you guys don't have one of the old timey style wind up clocks!!

Got 2 of them over in the camper, no batteries etc. they have been passed down from my grandpa to my dad to me

I thought they would be something alot of you all had for your backcountry trips

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
An aging prostate seems to work fine for waking me early...several times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've always just used my G-Shock watch alarm but usually sleep very little in the backcountry anyway so end up getting up on my own before the alarm sounds