What do you use to wake up in the backcountry?

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
I use a Wobl vibrating wristwatch. The little one. I'm about half deaf, so the vibrator gets the nod. Don't matter if it's down in yer bag, it always gets me up. No phone or gps.....

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a Wobl for $35 and I've been testing it out. Wakes me up no problem. I love how quiet it is. Although I did need to change the band. I think the smaller one I bought was for kids and it wouldn't fit my wrist.

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
I'm running OnX on an old phone, so that is also my alarm. Downloaded the elk calf call at the bottom of this page and set it as the alarm tone.

Sound Library - Elk - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

That's a great idea! I have avoided using my phone or gps devices for fear of using up the battery too quickly. Maybe I'm being over cautious. I downloaded that sound file and will definitely play around with it. Until then, I think I'll use the vibrating watch this year to see how it goes.

mvmnts

WKR
I'm always so stoked to be out there that I am out of bed right away. I sleep so lightly in the backcountry anyway that my watch alarm is all I need. It's the work days that I drag out of bed. Set your intention before you go to sleep that you'll get up quickly. Just say/think it over and over for a bit. It will come back to you first thing when you are waking up. Sounds like woo woo nonsense, but it seems to work.

2ski

WKR
I'm glad you found the watch. I'll be using my garmin watch to wake up on vibrate. But the 300 dollar price tag is steep for just an alarm clock. I got it for everything else and the alarm is a bonus.

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
I'm always so stoked to be out there that I am out of bed right away. I sleep so lightly in the backcountry anyway that my watch alarm is all I need. It's the work days that I drag out of bed. Set your intention before you go to sleep that you'll get up quickly. Just say/think it over and over for a bit. It will come back to you first thing when you are waking up. Sounds like woo woo nonsense, but it seems to work.

Easier said than done. I've done that a lot and most of the time I wake up when I wanted to....the issue is that I wake up about 20 times before that because I'm so pumped to be out there and worried I'll over sleep. So the alarm keeps me focused on sleeping until I know it's time to get up.

Owenst7

WKR