What's your do-it-all 5 or 6wt fly rod?

topher89

WKR
I started fly fishing a few years ago with a beginner set-up (Orvis Encounter). It was a great stick to learn on and I caught lots of trout all over Colorado on it. Anyways, I bought a nicer 3wt set-up this year for small streams and could not believe how much better and more natural it felt casting the rod.

I am now starting to look around for an upgraded 5 or 6wt rod. I want it be a general purpose rod, good at lots of things from dries to streamers and dry-droppers. Not so worried about the reel, I am pretty sure I will end up with a Ross Reels Animas.

Thanks!

fishslap

WKR
I have a sage response 6wt as my do it all warm water rod. I use a Winston gvx 4wt as my trout rod but I don't throw big streamers on it. I do chuck a lot of dry-dropper rigs and on the larger dries/tungsten stones a 5wt would probably be a better. I just really like the feel of the 4wt. I have a TFO lefty Kreh finesse series 2wt I use on really small streams. No complaints on any of them but I'm not a fly rod expert. Where are you located in Colorado?

OP
T

topher89

WKR
I mainly fish the Front Range on short trips and hit the bigger rivers when I can. I have a 3wt Finesse that I love, I probably fished it 50% of my time out this summer.

I am thinking a 5 or 6 is what I want. My 3 covers all the smaller stuff I fish and I feel like a 5 or 6 gives me a good spread

oldgoat

WKR
I'm more in the 3-4wt category, especially for most small waters I happen on backpacking and hiking

What's your budget? Things can get to $1,000 really quickly when talking fly rods. Something like a sage one (I own a 9' 5 weight that I really like) or an orvis helios would be my pick, but they are spendy.

I have a buddy that is an incredible fly fisherman, use to guide up in the northwest - he uses a lot of Reddington. I think he told me that Sage makes reddington...could be wrong, but they are made by one of the bigger brands. They might be something to look into.

I also have heard good things about Orvis Recon rods...which are medium priced. TFO and a few others fall into that category.

oldgoat

WKR
Agreed, like I said in the post, I have a great 3 but now want a nice 5 or 6 for bigger waters

I stopped at thread title:-( five weight then, any bigger and littler fish aren't much fun but it handles some pretty good fish!

OP
T

topher89

WKR
What's your budget? Things can get to $1,000 really quickly when talking fly rods. Something like a sage one (I own a 9' 5 weight that I really like) or an orvis helios would be my pick, but they are spendy.

I have a buddy that is an incredible fly fisherman, use to guide up in the northwest - he uses a lot of Reddington. I think he told me that Sage makes reddington...could be wrong, but they are made by one of the bigger brands. They might be something to look into.

I also have heard good things about Orvis Recon rods...which are medium priced. TFO and a few others fall into that category.

Would prefer medium price but am willing to go big for the right rod.

My plan is to get some recommendations and then cast them at all the local fly shops. I have been interested in the Helios and also want to cast some of the Sage's. I am an intermediate caster so I am a little gun shy about some of the faster action rods but still want to cast some and see how they feel.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go for a 5 weight as an all-around rod. While a 6 can be nice for streamers and in windy conditions on bigger rivers, a 5 seems to suit most med to larger Western rivers (not counting Steelhead of course).

Would prefer medium price but am willing to go big for the right rod.

My plan is to get some recommendations and then cast them at all the local fly shops. I have been interested in the Helios and also want to cast some of the Sage's. I am an intermediate caster so I am a little gun shy about some of the faster action rods but still want to cast some and see how they feel.

I wouldn't be too afraid of the fast action and stiff backbone. The Sage One 9' 5wt I have is certainly not a good dry fly rig, but I have caught plenty of fish on small delicate little dries, its just not ideal. The Sage One is definitely more of a streamer rod and does great on lakes fishing in the spring ice off.

I hate going here during peak seasonal times of the year (traffic and tourist mayhem...) but, I have had good luck with Kirks Fly shop in Estes Park. They carry Sage and Orvis and when I bought my Sage they were doing a deal on all of the "high end" rods where you got a free reel with the purchase. I got my Sage One and a Ross Gunnison reel for $995 or $985. I believe that reel was a ~$200-$300 reel, so pretty significant savings and I needed a new reel anyway. Just suggesting them because they have always been good to me.

Not sure if you're in the metro area, but the other place I like is over in Boulder - Front Range Anglers. Good selection of brands and rods there, big Simms house if you need shirts or any other gear.

I would call those places possibly and see if they'd let you cast a few out back of the store or take one out to a local body of water to throw around.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Not sure if you're in the metro area, but the other place I like is over in Boulder - Front Range Anglers. Good selection of brands and rods there, big Simms house if you need shirts or any other gear.

Front Range Anglers is my preferred shop. They hooked me up with a great 3wt set-up and lots of great advice

fishslap

WKR
Laughing grizzly is where I normally go. Just throwing another one in the mix. If you stop by front range anglers make sure pic up some bellyache minnows if you like fly fishing for warm water species.

I have been using a 5wt TFO BVK and have really liked it. It's quite a fast action rod but is great for streamers and I have used it for dries as well. Price should fall into that medium range. I have also used a Loomis Pro4x and it's a good rod too. Not as fast action as my BVK but still stiff enough to fight the wind and throw bigger flies. It's a little more but a great rod. A bit cheaper than the Sage and Orvis though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
There are so many great rods at all price points these days. I'm looking for a new five weight too and have cast a bunch lately. Most are great (TFO, G Loomis, Beulah, Echo) but it's kinda personal preference. I would suggest casting a few and see more what works for you. If you want a do-it-all rig for trout, get a 9 foot 5 in a 4 piece.

Bughalli

WKR
Find a used sage XP 5wt. Was top of the line ($700), but now a used one is $200-$300. I think the Accesss came after that, which is good as well. Every bit as good or better than the One, Response or whatever the latest name is. The tech doesn't change that much, but they need to sell rods so they change the names. The XP is a fast rod, Access a touch softer. Great nymph and streamer rods. Okay of dries, you just need to adjust your cast a little to be delicate. Redington makes some very nice rods if looking at new and want to save a couple hundred dollars. They're owned by Sage and only a slightly lower class (although Sage makes some crappy low end rods too, so don't buy on brand name alone).

Helios are nice. Very light weight, stiff and responsive. Some say a little fragile, but I can't attest to that.

Loomis GLX is a very good rod as well. Pretty sure that was the model. Another older model that is excellent. Fast action, light weight, etc. Great nymph, streamer, punch the wind type rod.

All brands above have great warranties. Buy used and if you break it you have a quality brand behind it. I've been upgraded to the latest model more than once. Sometimes that great, especially for resale value and other times I would rather have the old one.....because they're that good.

If buying a high quality rod, then 5wt should be plenty. I find 6wt is almost too much rod for trout.

As for the reel, anything mid range is fine. Rod is more important. Reels don't matter nearly as much for trout as they do for "runners" who test your drag like steelhead and salmon. When was the last time a trout took you into your backing...not often.

Last edited: