Nice Kitty. Have you ever had this happen to you?????

Mmcan

WKR
Having never been stared down like this, I find it easy to "woulda/shoulda" this til the cows come home. But damnation, these guys got lucky not knowing what to do here. Chalk it up to dumb luck, or divine intervention, or just hell****ingyeahtothemax, think about how you'd feel in their shoes,...
Video: Hikers Encounter Cougar on a Trail and Do the Dumbest Thing You've Ever Seen | OutdoorHub

Please describe any close encounters you've had like this!!!

I have had big cats and black bears on my land in SW CO, and call me crazy, but I love the idea of having apex predators on cam many times 100 yards from my front door.

Last edited:

desertcj

WKR
Watched a cat attack and kill a deer 30 yards in front of me last year out here in California. They are getting thick....

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I had one follow me into my spike camp. The cat actually went into my buddies tent at dusk. We scared it away or so we thought. It circled back around the camp and investigated us from another approach. I shot it at 17yds while the cat was 10yds from my teenage nephew in a pounce position. It changed the way I look at the wilderness. It was a very eye opening experience to say the least. When I notified the Forest Service and Game Warden they were very understanding. I now carry bear spray and a pistol if I'm archery hunting and will pack the spray even during rifle season.

I was getting over a serious injury, thought I was doing well enough to take a drive and go for a hike. Long story short, I had bursitis flare up really bad, and couldn't lift my feet off the ground. Needless to say, I looked like injured prey, I should have gotten back to my truck well before sundown. I ended up getting stalked by one of those big cats, finally making it to my truck about midnight. The high during the day was below freezing.

Gobbler36

WKR
I was getting over a serious injury, thought I was doing well enough to take a drive and go for a hike. Long story short, I had bursitis flare up really bad, and couldn't lift my feet off the ground. Needless to say, I looked like injured prey, I should have gotten back to my truck well before sundown. I ended up getting stalked by one of those big cats, finally making it to my truck about midnight. The high during the day was below freezing.

Crazy story, sounds like it could of been a lot worse from multiple directions. Glad you made it out!

Crazy story, sounds like it could of been a lot worse from multiple directions. Glad you made it out!

I just turned toward it, at less than 30 feet, still not able to lift my feet off the ground, and let out a big growl (from the pain) and gave it everything I had. I suppose I don't blame it for disappearing, after all, have you seen or smelled me at the end of long day?

All kidding aside, I was unarmed, it was the end of November, and I'm lucky to still be here. But I know going toward it was my only hope.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
A friend of mine was attacked on her back porch by a bobcat a few months ago. Broad daylight. Arlington, Texas. Tore her leg up badly. Had to get rabies shots and several trips to the doctor for debridements and wound care. Said it hurt like crazy and she couldn't believe how strong the damn thing was. Cannot imagine the power a mountain lion has. The cat on my trail cam looks big. 150 lbs I guess. I always carry when I'm out there hiking and working.

KHNC

WKR
Are there very many documented mountain lion attacks on hunters?

They usually dont mess with the hunters. Too dangerous, they are able to recognize an apex predator. They usually go after the granolas and vegans. Much tastier anyway.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those guys are dumb as rocks.

I've had a mountain lion scream 20 yards from me on my way to my whitetail stand. I was a little jumpy for awhile after that.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Was shed hunting when I lived in ID. and was picking my way through some rimrocks on way back to truck. Jumped down onto a rock and seen movement out of the corner of my eye. Was a mt lion and 2 cubs tucked under a ledge probably 10 yds away. Never heard a scream like that before or since.

2ski

WKR
I watched the video in the original post. Reading the body language of the cat, it looked to me like it was just chilling watching him. Doesn't have its head down. Kind of looks like a cat sitting on a window sill looking outside. I think it was a young cat that was just watching.

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully this picture works, first time with Imgur. But kind of related I took this picture at the beginning of this year.

VCarpWY.jpg

desertcj

WKR
Wow, I'm a little surprised that a 30-40lb cat took down that deer! Then again, deer are basically defenseless and cats have razors on almost every corner of their bodies...