Which GPS App for Phones

aron

WKR
Which app do you prefer to use for a GPS? I use OnX for hunting and determining land boundaries but is something like Gaia GPS or other apps better suited for actual GPS use (waypoints, routes, tracks). Can any apps use Garmin basecamp and transfer a route or waypoints to an app?

nito900rr

FNG
Which app do you prefer to use for a GPS? I use OnX for hunting and determining land boundaries but is something like Gaia GPS or other apps better suited for actual GPS use (waypoints, routes, tracks). Can any apps use Garmin basecamp and transfer a route or waypoints to an app?
OnX just added those tools. Give it a look if you haven't already. I'll be trying them out this weekend.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I like Gaia. You can transfer all Google Earth / Garmin waypoints, tracks, trails, areas, etc into Gaia so they're available within the app. I personally use a combination of GE / Basecamp to manage everything, and then load in what I need.

I've heard it's coming, but I personally refuse to rely on OnX for anything other than land ownership until Import/Export is added, finalized and tested to be working, because I don't want my stuff locked and inaccessible within a proprietary platform. And, they're still shaking out the bugs from the latest upgrade where a lot of people lost some of their content...

AdamW

WKR
I just used OnX for tracking and waypoints in Colorado last week. Worked great + had trails marked well. If you're transferring stuff back and forth from your computer or Google Earth as Brendan mentioned, you might look at the other options. For me, OnX has worked great.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I've been using US Topo Maps for the last 3 years and recommend it. It's not on iOS though. Lots of different topo maps to choose from, easily cached, and super easy to export tracks and waypoints to GE. Free version only allows 3 waypoints to be saved at a time, but you can work around it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1signguy

WKR
OnX and a forest service or other map is the bomb! I have even printed out some things on Google Earth and taken that into the field with me...
I am a big fan of OnX and the recent update makes it even better!

2five7

WKR
If you're on Android, check out Backcountry navigator. About $12 for the app and $10 for state boundaries. Cwmu and le units have to be manually entered tho, but they are free and it's super easy. No annual fee is the best part.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Gaia for me. I like the option to download several different layers ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk