Canvas tent Whats a good company

Jason__G

FNG
If you get a Davis, make sure to get their tarp/rain cover that they offer. It is much nicer than trying to use your own, and it will fit your tent like a glove with tie-downs and cut-outs in the right places. A big bonus is that the material is clear which allows a lot of light in during the day and doesn't turn the tent into a cave. You can also have it made over-size for an awning:
vbtztmB_1JLzla9Werw2V2cK3PVLu_0bLHYw6BC6oyXjMfzUw60kCriq0feBbNpJa3uxDnF9dob8mF6Q3GvYDmqbNCAxq31E9VxsCwe8VIrcDvLYk1u-3cBENJGVn0GHMuOk6NJPKr8-YdBheU4s36z0KGSOFxf800iRFJlYzGgwCBbxGpXqj1RfntsrNUpwx8tTo9jEHQftOD4ZNEIhFyQ0gd0OjLF28oXw4Vx4Qc7waydp6Y_fkSsO_JDXnbF1xWqBpjhuNkLhc911M8C5F2sK_FtWZIDw6_gCzh3iQm1HaYpmwIL8mNoe3rhoQ6UspAielF9EporJfuUoF3QBI8TXFtTfGo4lnLbO5Ugu9PsGSIhN4WwWdjYzAgoZkBtkaw1rkQvyUwXGMiuugL770sgErlbgl6rYH-i1AbW6PIggShdDKZ-JInV37zD5tr325bO0jR9ozi39xNTGYU6PZymPB1Fn5hy07Lv3pfiBghzz3Vew54KN8SsWden2bkVyL9wkefnIhz2ESKwVG9Lljebm0DDVxG6FsihfO_uqTIS5KgSAWFaQ4pyj76hIcOQ2mYtiYI-fdy9cw58qOpXpFD1X_JaLGDzMwpmEnCwHYeKeaj8K7r1S=w1897-h1067-no

sndmn11

WKR
Is the Davis floor canvas or another material?

The floors are a 15oz vinyl coated nylon chosen because it is an absolutely waterproof material (no moisture seepage if the ground underneath is wet) and very abrasion/puncture resistant (no need to worry about smaller rocks/twigs causing owies).

aggieland

WKR
So I guess if I decided on a Davis and their is the slightest chance I would pack it into the back country with equine I should get the external frame tent right?

cnelk

WKR
Wrong
You dont want to pack a frame into the backcountry with horses
Just cut some poles and make an A frame

Give Roy Davis a call.
Tell him what you want to do. He will make some suggestions and have lots of info

cnelk

WKR
I just bought a custom size tent from Roy this summer.
Here it is set up in my yard with cut poles and my stove I made

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 40

aggieland

WKR
Wrong
You dont want to pack a frame into the backcountry with horses
Just cut some poles and make an A frame

Give Roy Davis a call.
Tell him what you want to do. He will make some suggestions and have lots of info

So would you suggest the internal or external frame? Thanks

BuzzH

WKR
If you're camping off a road...go internal frame. No messing with cutting poles, etc.

If you're packing in on horses, go external.

Another thing to consider is weight if you're packing your tent on horses...I would take cnelk's advice, give the guys at Davis a call, they're pure gold in the knowledge department of canvas tents.

I dropped a tent off a few weeks ago to get some minor repairs done and talked with Roy and some of the other guys there. All very friendly, professional and would never give you anything but the best advice.

My Davis tent has performed flawlessly for 12 years...the repairs I had done were a worn out door zipper, a few grommets needed to be replaced and one spark hole about the size of a dime. Had the tent back in about 2 weeks.

Quality product and great customer service...

Give them a call.

Beendare

WKR
Floor wise,

on elk hunts I prefer no floor or a floor in the back 1/2. I do have that heavy vinyl floor that either Davis or Reliable sells and its great for when we setup in the back yard and had my daughters whole soccer team for a sleepover. Its nice.

As an aside; one of those projectors shining on the back wall makes an awesome movie screen.

sndmn11

WKR
So I guess if I decided on a Davis and their is the slightest chance I would pack it into the back country with equine I should get the external frame tent right?

Yes, absolutely. The Traditional Poles (what I am assuming you are referring to as an external frame) break down to around 5'-5'6" and are about 60% the weight of an internal frame.

Both systems are comparable in strength, but there are a few key differences that may or may not matter to you. Call the shop and either Roy, Rick, Chris, or myself can talk you through your use and give you the pros and cons to each.

aggieland

WKR
Yes, absolutely. The Traditional Poles (what I am assuming you are referring to as an external frame) break down to around 5'-5'6" and are about 60% the weight of an internal frame.

Both systems are comparable in strength, but there are a few key differences that may or may not matter to you. Call the shop and either Roy, Rick, Chris, or myself can talk you through your use and give you the pros and cons to each.

Ordered a 16X20 external frame tent from Davis Tent yesterday.. Excited to try this baby out!! Thanks for all the advice guys and as others have stated calling the Davis guys helped a ton.. Thanks again!

TheTone

WKR
Anyone have any experience with Cabela's wall tents? I realize they are made by Montana canvas, but has anyone noticed any difference with build between a cabelas branded one and a MT canvas one?

Jason__G

FNG
Keep in mind that when it comes to frames, there is no rule that says you can only have one. Start with the internal frame, and then if you find that you are using your tent in a wide variety of situations, you can add the external frame. You can then use whichever frame fits the use for that trip, or cut poles instead.

sndmn11

WKR
Ordered a 16X20 external frame tent from Davis Tent yesterday.. Excited to try this baby out!! Thanks for all the advice guys and as others have stated calling the Davis guys helped a ton.. Thanks again!

Good deal, I am 90% sure I answered your call and sent you over to Roy because we had a lot of shipping to get done. You should be set for quite a while.

aggieland

WKR
Good deal, I am 90% sure I answered your call and sent you over to Roy because we had a lot of shipping to get done. You should be set for quite a while.

Good deal, Yes i'm excited should be a fun experience now its just going to be upgrades lol. maybe a floor or awning lots of options..

Last edited: