Acclimatinon guidance

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bout a month until my first elk hunt ever (archery) I live around 500ft above sea level. We are planning on hunting from 8k to 12k ft above sea level.

Any tips or tricks to help acclimate more efficiently?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Get your Dr to write you a Rx for Diamox. And take it easy on day one. Drink a lot more than you want to. If you aren't feelin good, just move down until you do. Move higher the next day...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Get your Dr to write you a Rx for Diamox. And take it easy on day one. Drink a lot more than you want to. If you aren't feelin good, just move down until you do. Move higher the next day...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
Just reading a little bit on diamox it sounds like that is more of a symptom depressant and not a preventative?

mlob1one

WKR
The couple of days prior, super hydrate and continue to drink more than you would normally as you acclimate because evaporation often eliminates sweat.
There can be a tendency to lose appetite over 11k so be sure to keep your calorie count up each day.
I haven't gotten sick yet and have no experience with the meds.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just reading a little bit on diamox it sounds like that is more of a symptom depressant and not a preventative?

Correct. It only masks the symptoms of altitude sickness. Kinda like cold medicine alleviates the symptoms of a cold, but doesn't cure it. My Dr used to say that you can get over a cold in about 6 days with medicine or half a dozen without.

The only real cure for altitude sickness is to go downhill. Taking the Diamox will make you feel less sick. There are some precautions though, because if u our taking the medicine, you won't really know when the altitude sickness is getting to be life threatening. I can't imagine anything in the lower 48 being too critical, but that will be between you and your doctor.

Also, it will make your fingers tingle. I tried it once without success. Some people, like me, just can't acclimate to high elevations. Seems that 13,500 is my limit. I lived in Colorado when I was younger and never summited a single 14'r. I would sit within sight of my father and brother while they went to the top. I felt like my heart was gonna explode out my temples.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
I was in the same situation last year. Drink a ton of water and take it easy the first day or two. When in doubt, drink more water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydration and Diamox. No energy drinks for 3 days before leaving home. Eat as healthy as possible starting now (not saying you don't).
Take it slow on the ascent, keep electrolytes and small amounts of sugars in your bloodstream.
These seem to be what has worked for the clients I guided. Some people don't get altitude sickness, some do. I found that 8,000 ft was usually about where the symptoms would get noticeable if it was going to be a problem. If you have a good GPS, keep an eye on your altitude and note how you feel, especially your heartbeat and stomach, every 400 vertical ft past 6500. I'm not really prone to altitude related problems, but I will get an upset stomach and pounding heart if I don't hydrate and eat well beforehand. Good luck, hope your hunt is a great one!

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a chance to arrive early, and get a little more time acclimated before you start hitting it hard will help. Even if you camp a little lower, first evening,to give your system a chance to adjust. As said above, hydration will play a major role.
Mike

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Super hydrate and give yourself a few days to adjust. It sucks. The last one I did I went to 5,000 for two days. Then went to 9,000 for a day and then went to 11,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I live at a lower elevation than you and hunt at about the same elevation that you're going to hunt. I didn't do anything different(eating and drinking wise) than I would do around here. I haven't noticed any affects.

Good luck on your hunt.

Bughalli

WKR
I live at sea level and hunt Colorado each fall, backpacking in from 8-9,000ft to 12,000. The more cardio you do now, the better the odds will be for minimizing altitude sickness. I don't go early because I don't have the extra vacation time and want to spend my time hunting. Take the first day slow, especially if carrying a backpack. Listen to your body. You're going to be winded regardless, so no need to beat up your body. You don't want to get too sore that first day because it's harder for your body to recover up there. I take my time on the hike in, stop a lot, take boots off to air out the feet and avoid blisters, drink a lot, etc. I like to have Nuun electrolyte tablets in my water on hard or hot days. Use trekking poles, they help on the way in.

You will have less appetite, so expect to force yourself to eat. For me, this especially happens at breakfast. In general, bring a variety of food and items you enjoy eating. Granola bars and jerky get old by day 3.

Everyone is different, but I have found my body is like clockwork for how it handles the altitude. I.e. For whatever reason I feel the shittiest on the hike in and then the 2nd or 3rd morning. I'll wake up with a raging headache, have no appetite and often feel like I'm going to barf. If I lay low that morning I'll feel crappy until almost noon. It kind of feels like a hangover. The first time it happen it freaked me out a little. (Solo backpack hunt) It starts to impact your mental game, doubt creeps in, you're probably not sleeping well, etc. I have found if I just ignore it and go hunt, once I'm hiking and my heart starts pumping I feel normal 20 minutes later. The rest of the trip I generally feel fine. By the end of a week I'm hiking like a billy goat.

All the little things can compound into bad experiences, so pay attention to the little things - keep your feet in good shape (air them out and rotate socks, don't wait until there is an issue), drink a lot, eat well, do what it takes to get quality sleep, etc

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Like others have said, hydrate, dont go boozing like lots of guys do on theit hunt (vacation). I grew up at 7k feet, livded at 5k for log time and never noticed the altitude, I moved to sea level and it SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS going back. If I drink any alcohol I cant sleep at altitude so I abstain.

I live in New Orleans (below sea level), and I head uphill to Chama once a year for my annual Elk hunt. We stay in Chama which is 7800 feet. Everything is uphill from there. The Ranch I hunt is between 8500 and 10500 feet. The main thing I find that helps is getting there as early as possible, (I am able to go a week early). I also take Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover, WA Multi-Vitamins, and WA Altitude Adjustment pills.
Staying hydrated is really important. If your urine is really yellow, you are not drinking enough water. Avoiding caffeine and alcohol as much as possible is important too. If you sleep at a lower altitude than you hunt, you also give your body a chance to recover. Good luck !!

Muskeez

FNG
I do the pills also. Get the generics, they are cheap. Side effects for me are occasional tingly fingers and any carbonated drink will taste terrible during and for a couple days after. BE SURE to take as directed and continue taking for the extra day or 2 after you are back down low at home. I skipped that part after one high trip and I got super sick when I was back home.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I do the pills also. Get the generics, they are cheap. Side effects for me are occasional tingly fingers and any carbonated drink will taste terrible during and for a couple days after. BE SURE to take as directed and continue taking for the extra day or 2 after you are back down low at home. I skipped that part after one high trip and I got super sick when I was back home.
What's the generic?

Muskeez

FNG
Acetazolamide - my Rx is 125 mg - one tablet, twice a day, start one day prior to ascent and continue 2 days after

Look into Mnt Ops, they are out of Salt Lake. They carry a natural solution for altitude sickness it's suppose to work awesome.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
That's funny, a friend and I went on a backpacking trip this weekend and we both live around 5k ft and we hiked to right near 11k' and we both felt a little winded and light headed; nothing serious, but neither of us felt all that great. We drank a bunch of water with electrolites(sp) and felt better, but not stellar. Today on the hike out (which is actually mostly up hill), neither of us felt these symptoms, and we attribute it to just acclimatizing for a day. This will be way more important for people coming from much lower elevations than we're accustomed to. I think coming a few days early, going on a few hikes to the elevations you're going to be at will be very helpful. Obviously with time constraints, not everyone will be able to do that, but if you can, acclimatize for a few days and I think you'll have a much more enjoyable experience.

Have a great hunt no matter what you decide.

ben

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
As has been said-take 1-2 days before you exert a lot of energy. Hydration is major as has also been stated. I notice it takes about 2 days before I can really hike hard above 8K.

Do not be paranoid but do not totally ignore the systems of how altitude effects you. Almost everyone I know -that will admit it-has to deal with some issue. I've met folks who have lived out in Rocky Mtn. states their entire life and cannot go above a certain point.

Make sure you drink water even if you are not feeling thirsty and try to start hydrating well a few days before your trip.