Is their a better option than a Canvas/Wall tent?

aggieland

WKR
I'm curious, is a canvas tent what you would consider the best option for a comfortable extended stay shelter? I currently own a Hilleberg and a Clark jungle hammock for packing in on foot etc. But I'm now exploring options on what large comfortable base camp shelter would be best. I own mules and horses so packing in a canvas tent is an option so that's a plus, not sure what other large shelter options could be packed in like a traditional canvas tent? I have also considered buying a horse trailer with living quarters, but that of course would be base camp only.. so anything you folks prefer over a Canvas tent for comfort and pack ability?

LaHunter

WKR
Wall tents are hard to beat for a comfortable base camp. Canvas has its pros and cons, as do the synthetic materials. I've had the Cabela's Alaknak 12X20 and have been very happy with it. The Alaknak tent will be lighter and pack smaller than a comparable sized canvas tent and frame, but the canvas will hold heat better vs synthetic. Cotton canvas has the potential to soak through during a long downpour, where the synthetics are more resistant to this.
Another advantage of synthetics is less potential for mold during storage, especially living is the south where heat and humidity are the norm.

It will just come down to what material and features will work best for you, but a wall tent and wood burning stove are great for a base camp.

Good Luck

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Another thing to consider is we typically only camp and hunt during archery season. So usually cold weather is not as big of an issue. How many years can a person expect out of the Alaknak material? Hard to know for sure I know but I will start looking into it as well.

There is no issue for durability of the Alaknak material. It simply doesn't hold the heat, block the wind, or breath nearly as well as canvas. Plus, if you burn a stove, get a roll of tear aid to patch the thing.

I own both. The alaknak is a fine tent. But, you'll need the floor liner, the "fly" as Cabela's calls it, which is a joke btw, and have to treat it with the same drying care you do a canvas tent. It is more pack-able than canvas tent. Canvas is warmer, does awesome with a fly, which there is zero reason to run a wall tent without one so, you aren't going to get wet in one. A wall tent should be floorless, which is one of the huge benefits to them besides being canvas. They block the wind much better and condensate very little with the fly on. But, the frame with them is cumbersome. I like them both but, the canvas is much more comfortable.

Both tents will need to be dried before storing them so, that doesn't factor in. Both are mostly equally priced in the sleeping capacity range of the 12 by 20 alaknak. However, you might get the wall tent slightly cheaper from wall tent shop than you will the alaknak and, all the things you WILL need. Like the floor liner and fly. However, If I could only have one, it'd be the canvas wall tent. If you buy one, get one that has the ability to use a cut lodge pole for packing in on horses. Good luck and God Bless

Last edited:

Bulldawg

WKR
Another thing to consider is we typically only camp and hunt during archery season. So usually cold weather is not as big of an issue. How many years can a person expect out of the Alaknak material? Hard to know for sure I know but I will start looking into it as well.

I have a 13x27 alaknak and several canvas tents from 12x14 to 16x24. Canvas do hold heat better, but I like having the floor on the alaknak. Not having to tarp the alaknak is a bit plus, but condensation kind of stinks. As a base camp tent, even during archery we fire our stoves up, just nice to have a warm tent in the morning and evenings to help dry gear out if you got wet. The alaknak goes together real easy and with poles and everything for a comparable size, I'm at about the same weight of the canvas without poles, but you can cut logs to use for the ridge and supports as with the alaknak you have to have the frame, which packing on horses could be a little difficult to figure out when loading.

All in all, they are both really good options, and really nice to come back to after a day of hunting. I will continue to use both for different reasons as I need them. I will say that probably the biggest reason I will continue to use my alakanak is because for its size it packs up smaller and is easier to get around and doesn't take up much space in the back of my truck when I'm traveling a long ways.

Good luck in your decision and if you have any more questions feel fee to message me I spend a lot of time in these tents in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beastmode

WKR
Try pulling a trailer or driving an RV when the roads are a complete shit sandwich...pretty easy to beat then.

I think the OP mentioned he was considering a horse trailer with LQ. If this is the case I would bet he is fine with the roads. Nothing some chains on the trailer tires can't fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Alaska Tent and Tarp's "Arctic Oven" line of tents....great cold weather basecamps.

Warm, breathable, and lighter than canvas. Pretty well the standard up here.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Try pulling a trailer or driving an RV when the roads are a complete shit sandwich...pretty easy to beat then.

If that's the case, then park the RV close to the pavement. You're not going to take the RV to the TH or wherever every day, so you should already be pulling a truck behind the RV.

I almost bought a 40ft diesel pusher two years ago for a steal, but it was so nice I wouldn't want to store it anywhere but under a shelter that I don't have for it. Now I have a buddy that is trying to sell his 36 or 38ft and I've actually been contemplating it. But if I got it, I'd definitely be pulling my Toyota behind it. For now, my wall tent does pretty darn well. An RV is the only thing I can think of that would be "better" than a well set up wall tent. My current Davis 14x16 has been set up over 300 days without any maintenance or care issues, and worked flawlessly throughout the 2013 season when we got over 15" of rain over two weeks. And I don't tarp it unless I expect heavy snow.

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
I haven't gotten to the point where I want/need anything more then a wall tent.
But as i get older I can see my self either having a camper at some point, or an "RV" style ice fishing house.
LOTS of guys use ice houses for hunting. But my ice fishing would have to pick up quite a bit to justify one of those.

In a perfect scenario, you'd only camp/hunt near good roads, and a big decked out camper with slide outs and 2 bedrooms/bathrooms would be impossible to beat.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In a perfect scenario, you'd only camp/hunt near good roads

Even with my wall tent camp setup, I'll have a dozen or more areas picked out in a unit or in a cluster of units that I'll hit within a season. And in some cases those spots can be up to 50 miles away from it. So just because you're camped close to the pavement doesn't mean you can't hunt away from that.