Camp Water Purified or Not for Dehydrated Meals

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anyone purifies their camp water. In years past I've just used the water from my bladder that is purified water for my dinners in camp, but occasionally I've ran out of water for the morning causing us to stop up or dehydrate ourselves in the am. I am contemplating hanging a dromedary in camp for dehydrated meals at night. I plan on boiling the water for the meal, so curious if anybody is still dropping purification pills or using water out of the crick...I've read that water should boil for 10 minutes to kill all bacteria, but I don't have that kind of time/patients in the backcountry.

If my meal call for boiling water I don't worry about purifying. Thing like coffee where I don't boil I use safe water.

oldgoat

WKR
I pump my 10L Dromedary with filtered water, bought aquamira drops for this year, I don't take chances when it's so easy to treat water these days

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
I always purify. For longer trips I use a katadyn gravity camp bag, and always have lots of clean camp water. Otherwise I run it threw my sawyer mini.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
but I don't have that kind of time/patients in the backcountry.

Do you have the time/patients to be laying around camp crapping your pants all day for multiple days with the chance of recurring crap fests for the rest of your life? Purify your water.

If I'm boiling water I don't bother with treating the water. 3 minutes of a good rolling boil is more effective than any filter or tablet.

Just about anytime I'm at a water source I'll boil up at least a cup of coffee and often times a MH too. I use a combination of chlorine-dioxide, Steripen and boiling. As noted boiling is the safest method so I pretty much never use treated water to boil.

Boiling the water is treating it for consumption. There is no problem boiling straight stream water for a dehydrated meal.

muddydogs

WKR
If you boil your water you're purifying it just follow the guides for boiling time at the elevation your at and error on the side of more time then less.

OP
yak

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the time/patients to be laying around camp crapping your pants all day for multiple days with the chance of recurring crap fests for the rest of your life? Purify your water.

Should have clarified; I don't have the time to boil every cup of water for 10 minutes...Sounds like purifying the entire lot of water would be quickest. Also sounds like 10 min is over kill.

rayporter

WKR
there was a time when boiling was what you did. no filters [or filters plugged up instantly]
i have had many trips where we lived on boiled water. it is not a new thing.

filters are what i would distrust.

1signguy

WKR
With gravity filters I have found it's pretty simple and easy to always have clean water at camp... easier than boiling water and it saves fuel...
With a Steripen it's 2 minutes to purify for coffee or a MH in the field...
I get you are boiling water anyhow for coffee or a meal but I don't generally boil water long enough to be completely safe...
I always take a gravity filter and the steripen... gravity does 95% of the duty. In my personals I have 2-3 aquamira tablets in case all hell breaks loose (bear eats the Steripen and a chupacabre runs off with my filter...)