Alaknak 12x20 setup

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a 12x20 Alaknak from their bargain cave, I have to fix a bunch of pin holes in the roof from a wood stove, Im guessing the previous owner ran a wood stove and didnt know what he were doing. So Im thinking you guys that run these tents, what have you done to make them more comfortable. Instead of a floor liner Im putting carpet down, also thought I would put a canvas tarp(soaked with fire retardent) over the roof to protect it vs the roof panel, which in my opinion is ridiculously small.

Iam a little perplexed as to how the vestibule attaches, the instructions leave alot to be desired. If anyone is setting up their tent and vestibule in the near future, if you dont mind post up some pics.

LaHunter

WKR
I'm not sure how a canvas tarp draped over the top of the tent will work. Keep in mind that there is no horizontal ridge pole in these tents. This tent has 2 vertical poles that keep the entire top up. That canvas may make the roof sag some.
I have always had a spark arrester on the top of my stove pipe. It will foul and need cleaning every few days, but it has kept my roof hole free so far.

Maybe try a cheap harbor freight welding blanket. They are not all that heavy.

It will be our first year with the same tent. We have the floor liner, but are not going to run a stove. Will throw some indoor/outdoor carpet in the vestibule and call it good.

My brother set it up this weekend but is 600 miles from me. He had the vestibule set up but I don't have any pics.

steveo

FNG
Cabela's sells a roof protector that attaches. I use it on mine with a spark arrestor. Attaching the vestibule is a real problem. I get mine on every year but it is never sealed up correctly at the bottom. I will figure it out some day. You are right, the directions are poor.

steveo

FNG
I forgot to add that you should try to determine the prevailing wind direction and get the stove on the lee side so sparks are taken away from the tent. You usually use the stove in the am or at dark so the wind should stay steady.

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Cabela's sells a roof protector that attaches. I use it on mine with a spark arrestor. Attaching the vestibule is a real problem. I get mine on every year but it is never sealed up correctly at the bottom. I will figure it out some day. You are right, the directions are poor.

I saw the roof protector, darn thing is tiny, Ill forgo that and use a really good spark arrestor and some other kind of covering to protect it.

Cjenuwine

FNG
I saw the roof protector, darn thing is tiny, Ill forgo that and use a really good spark arrestor and some other kind of covering to protect it.

Hey Ghost,

What did you end up using for those holes? I just bought a 12x20 with a rip and maybe 50ish pin holes. I used Tear Aide Type 1 Tape on the rip and then cut a bunch of small pieces for the pin holes. Hoping that holds up.

S.Clancy

WKR
I HATED that tent. Too big to really heat well and the nylon gets cold so fast when the stove goes out. That said, we just ran a tarp over the whole roof. This stopped pin holes and helped snow get off easier too. We had that tent collapse several times in the backcountry from snow loads, so be mindfull of that.

NoWiser

WKR
We have that same tent and absolutely love it. We use the Cabelas roof protector and, along with the spark arrestor, have not had any issues with sparks. We've never put a tarp over it. The only time we had an issue was when we stupidly set it up in what was to become a wind tunnel. There had to have been 65-70 mph gusts that night and we had to run outside to restake it. With a 4 dog stove and good wood we have no issues heating it.

Carpet is a good idea and an LED lighting system takes very little power and lights it up nicely. We also run a charging station for our electronics off of the battery powering the lighting station. Enjoy your tent, we sure do.

98EA3176-6A4A-463C-9896-0C7F9D2A6A74.jpeg
Very satisfied with my Cabela’s Alaknak with vestibules. The tent pegs will freeze solid into the ground whens its 9 degrees Fahrenheit on the mountain. I learned that lesson the hard way on an elk hunt.

Hey Ghost,

What did you end up using for those holes? I just bought a 12x20 with a rip and maybe 50ish pin holes. I used Tear Aide Type 1 Tape on the rip and then cut a bunch of small pieces for the pin holes. Hoping that holds up.
I have this tent setup. For repairs that hold, I keep a big bottle of the clear Gorilla Glue in the tent for patching any holes in camp, and a small one in the pack for tent/pad/water bladder fixes in the field. Works amazing.

We have that same tent and absolutely love it. We use the Cabelas roof protector and, along with the spark arrestor, have not had any issues with sparks. We've never put a tarp over it. The only time we had an issue was when we stupidly set it up in what was to become a wind tunnel. There had to have been 65-70 mph gusts that night and we had to run outside to restake it. With a 4 dog stove and good wood we have no issues heating it.

Carpet is a good idea and an LED lighting system takes very little power and lights it up nicely. We also run a charging station for our electronics off of the battery powering the lighting station. Enjoy your tent, we sure do.
Same here. Ours looks like the Taj Mahal by the time setup is finished. Carpets, wood stove, linked Yamaha generators, LEDs, papason chairs, more carpets, folding clothes hanging rack, tables, jeez Louise...
We're hunting almost a month at a time tho, and its nice to come back to after living out of my Exo pack for 5 days.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but y’all seem like the right folks like to ask: what’s the right stove pipe height for a 12x20 Alaknak tent?

I’m inheriting a stove (without a pipe) and meeting up with some buddies from out of state who own the tent for an elk hunt this fall. So I’m looking for input from someone who has the tent about how tall a stovepipe I need to build.

Anything else in should be thinking about? Guy wires to stabilize the chimney? Spark arrestor?