Traveling to Canada w/ a bow

The fees for a bowcase on Air Canada reflect a unique governmental ripoff with surchages as much as $200.00 per piece one way. Has anyone shipped their gear to Canada instead? Abt problems/hang-ups with Customs? The Outfitter i spoke to has never had anyone ship gear directly to him so he could be of help. At this point in resigned to paying some $400-$800 in luggage surcharges which nearly double my transportation costs. Is there a better way?

cache_600_400_0_50_60_16777215_530.gif

tater

WKR
I guess the question i have is why fly AC in the first place?
WestJet flies out of several airports in the Western U.S. Not always the most convenient connections, but the staff actually treats their passengers like humans unlike the baggage monkeys and sky-hags of Air Canada.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Airlines are getting out of control these days... Just almost booked a flight with united but they want and extra 31$ if you have a carry on. WTF. so I went with delta. I would check some other airlines going in and out of there.. may just be AC that does that.

Muttly

WKR
Ahh, Air Canada..."We,'re not happy till you,'re not happy.."
That having been their official " unofficial" slogan for years...
To be fair though, Alaska Airlines also chaps my ass...

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Other airlines didn't have seats available for my travel dates. Last minute trip.

weaver

WKR
Prepare for delayed luggage if you fly AC.
I did fly with them this spring and didn't have to pay any extra fees to fly my bow.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
Where are you flying to? Might be easier to just Fed-Ex or DHL your gear ahead of time.
Your outfitter may be able to help make the necessary connections for you.

If you get to have a checked bag without having to pay that surcharge, use a case that you can put your other gear in as well as your bow. Golf club bags are a popular option for this approach and many airlines cut you a break because they are courting that demographic.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Using an SKB ATA rated bow case and Pacsafe luggage. A delay in luggage arrival will really screw my trip as I hunt the next morning. Looked into shipping, expensive and lotsa risk getting thru Customs that could delay access 10-15 days. Really a hit or miss situation. Flying into Grande Prairie, Alberta with one plane change.

Last edited:
Not sure what customs issues may be for bows. I have only taken mine to Canada once and I was driving.

The very polite border guard guy thought I said "Bowie" as in knife and wanted to inspect it. He opened the case. He said it was cool and sent me on my way.

I can only speak for my own experience domestically but so far I've had no issues paying extra charges. I own a SKB Double Bow case and just checked it with bow, liquids, and clothes. When asked what it was I told them clothes, deodorant, shampoo, and sporting equipment; which is the truth. When coming back they didn't ask at all. This was done with Delta with more than one connecting flight. Keep in mind I didn't stick a bunch of hunting stickers on my case. I've seen where guys have stuck golf stickers all over their cases. I guess that's because golf clubs are acceptable and a bow they look at it differently.

My most recent trip was last year from Houston to Minneapolis to Missoula via Delta .

OP
Where's Bruce?
I can only speak for my own experience domestically but so far I've had no issues paying extra charges. I own a SKB Double Bow case and just checked it with bow, liquids, and clothes. When asked what it was I told them clothes, deodorant, shampoo, and sporting equipment; which is the truth. When coming back they didn't ask at all. This was done with Delta with more than one connecting flight. Keep in mind I didn't stick a bunch of hunting stickers on my case. I've seen where guys have stuck golf stickers all over their cases. I guess that's because golf clubs are acceptable and a bow they look at it differently.

My most recent trip was last year from Houston to Minneapolis to Missoula via Delta .

i just bought a new 2SKB-4114A ATA rated case, fits the bow and backpack. Any issues packing a knife? I suspect Customs will go thru everything, I'm unlucky when it comes to such agencies.

OP
Where's Bruce?
If any of you guys are interested, a moose/elk hunt Arrive Sep 9, hunt 6 days, leave the 16th, normally 10K discounted to 6K. Option to add bear. Call Byron at Diamond T Outfitters at 780-831-0808. i got my moose and am still chasing critters up here.