Cheap/inexpesnive gear that has served you well

Trial153

WKR
Admittedly I am not one for finding cheap solutions even when they make sense. However here is one.
I fly fish a lot and was constantly replacing studs in my boots. God love Simms, they are a great company and products however I found these are about a 20th the cost as work just as well....
Home page

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta give credit to the Cabela's Alaska I frame pack. Bought for $78 17 years ago. From sheds to meat packing, the thing is a tank. Plus you can jerry rig anything to that frame.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
Ozark trail trekking poles w/ cam locks. $20+/-

First assent four way stretch pants from Eddie Bauer bought on one of there 40% off sales for $40+/-

Self inflating foam/air camo sit pad from Walmart $10+/-

Sawer mini water filter $20+/-

Surplus poncho and poncho liner $20+/- each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would add a Leatherman Wave Tool. I use it 40 times a day minimum....

It may seem expensive but I promise its cheap for the amount that you will use it.

I have carried one for years.

4th season with a pair of surplus 100% wool army pants. Swedish or Swiss or some euro branch that uses metric sizing. I've gone name brand with my other layers but can't find a reason to upgrade these pants.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor edge game processing kit, bought it on sale a few years ago it is great for the game processing, cleaning up the meat once you get home.

JWP58

WKR
Alps outdoorz inflatable sleeping pad. Spent like 40 bucks at sierratradingpost. Black diamond headlamp.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Pipe insulation taped around the spotter for a protective cover. Just a couple bucks instead of a couple hundred bucks...

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mora Knives certainly come to mind here. $1.99 wind detection powder in plastic bottle. I used a Simmons scope for years-I believe it costs me $49.99 back in the day.

GregB

WKR
Lots of old Army stuff; woobie, polypro, silk weights and field jacket liner. Thanks Army.

EastMT

WKR
bd823e5146df43152ae6a4573bc06ace.jpg

Victorinox birds beak knife for skull removal and turning ears. $5, worked amazing, that forward curve is perfect for fine work

I agree 110% with mora knives. Sharpest knife I've ever bought straight out of the box. Awesome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
I get so much outdoors-related crap at the dollar store than I care to admit. "Ultralight" cutlery and cooking equipment, a lifetime's supply of just-add-water macaroni and cheese, best trail mix I've ever had, hat-clip headlamps, zip ties, electricians tape, small parts organizers, creek-crossing "ultralight" foam sandals, foam gardening pads for glassing, emergency ponchos, spare reading glasses, makeup bags repurposed as pull-outs, hats, bandanas, beater sunglasses.....

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
some kind of brown army surpuls base layer, dont even know what its called, my dad picked up a bunch of it for next to nothing, warmest stuff i have ever worn, i cant even wear the top most of the time, if you walk any bit it burns you up

NwLegends

FNG
Army surplus brown wool shirt, $5 we named them bear shirts for late season sub zero tree stand hunts