Cheap/inexpesnive gear that has served you well

I know most on this forum are hard core, dedicated backcountry hunters who are gear nuts and have every piece of high quality gear known to man, but some of us don't have that budget. Let's here about some cheap/inexpensive gear that has served you well. I've got a few.

Ozark Trail 8 man cabin tent- Paid $79.99 for this tent and took it to Colorado. Dad and I slept 8 nights in it, including two nights with heavy rain. Zero leaking, very little condensation. I also slept in it 12-15 more nights during deer season here in North Carolina, including one 3 day stint where it rained 6" during that time span. The tent held up great, did not leak and just minor condensation on the sides. I think I have already got my $80 worth out of it. It's been set up in the yard for the last 3 weeks letting the kids play in it and pseudo camp out. It's rained 9 straight days. There has yet to be water in the tent.

Some no name brand rain gear- I bought this stuff at K-mart clearance about 10 years ago when the local big K was closing down. It is real-tree camo, tag said waterproof and I got the jacket and pants for $18. I've wore this stuff in rain, sleet, snow and monsoons. Never leaked. Doesn't breath worth a crap, which is probably why it never leaks.

Unknown brand Synthetic base layers- Bought a camo set of synthetic base layer shirts and pants at Wal-mart one winter on clearance. Shirts were $3.99, pants were $5.99. I bought 5 or 6 of each. These wick moisture very well, and do a pretty decent job at keeping me warm down to around 35 degrees. Tag says made in USA.

Off brand Merino wool socks- Stumbled on these in a bin at Tractor Supply once. Paid $3.99/pair. They are 85% merino wool. I've worn them hiking, hunting, camping, working in the yard and everything else. Hold up well. Wore the same pair for 6 straight days elk hunting last year, never smelled, kept my feet nice and dry.

Cabelas brand sleeping bag- It was on sale for $70, I had a $50 gift card. 15 degree rated mummy bag that weighs 3lbs. Stuffs down to a very respectable size. I've slept in it down to 20 degrees in shorts and a t-shirt. Stayed comfortable.

Army issue woobie- Technically free (even though I signed away 6 years of my life to get it!) It goes with me every camping or hunting trip. I've wrapped it around me in treestands while sitting out snow storms, used it as extra layer over my sleeping bag and even used it as my sole piece of sleeping gear on camping trips. I will probably be buried with this thing.

slvrslngr

WKR
I've got a headlamp that was purchased at Home Depot for $7. Runs on 3 AA's, is 100 lumens and burns forever. Probably my best cheap'o piece of gear. Next best is my Jaand backpack, 20+ years old, paid $150 (I think, hard to remember) and I can't find a reason to buy a newer, "better" one.

Poncho and poncho liner/woobie are definitely some of the best bang for the buck around.

Watched for end of season sales on puffy or merino base layers. Doesn't have to be a name brand or latest camo, it just has to keep me warm, and they do.

Headlamp I bought at an auto supply store. I have had it for years and I still prefer it to the expensive name brands, even though it may weight twice as much.

BRS-3000T - 25 Gram backpacking stove. Had it for 3 years with probably 250+ boils and it has had zero issues. Cost about $10 and Is lighter than any comparable stove. Also boiled water faster than a jet boil on my last trip.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
BRS-3000T - 25 Gram backpacking stove. Had it for 3 years with probably 250+ boils and it has had zero issues. Cost about $10 and Is lighter than any comparable stove. Also boiled water faster than a jet boil on my last trip.

I'm looking at it. Lighter and packs smaller than even the Pocket rocket 2. Cheaper too even though I think it's $15-18 on Amazon. I've not found anyone that has had a bad time with it. I'd just hope I wouldn't have an issue with it in the field and wish I'd spent more money.

boom

WKR
my $12 Mora Companion carbon knife. that things punches WAAAY above it's weight class.

xziang

WKR
I picked up Gerber ripstop II knive which I carry all the time now. (both hunting and not) When they were on clearance for $9.99

Also have picked up the solar yard lights at Wallyworld on clearance for .50 a piece and use them all the time when car camping. Put those around the tent. Kind of nice to have those when you walk back to camp when it is dark. In a pinch I'll also use them when looking through the cooler or truck.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Hands down, my woobie is my bestie!
I also have one of the Army smoke jackets which is basically a woobie jacket! Best thing I've ever owned. And it was free,, sorta. It's super lightweight, packs great and put it under any outer layer and it's like turning on the heat

EastMT

WKR
I have a problem with thick belts with a backpack on. I bought a $3 set of coughlins 6' compression straps, cut to size, melted the frays, awesome belt.

2five7

WKR
I use the $20 vortex tripod adapter in my 15*56 slc's instead of swaros $100 version. 100+ days in the field later it's still there!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
$15 clearance Costco 800-fill down jacket.
$49 Cabela's Elite Scout Pack has been with me almost every time I've killed an elk in the last 12 years. Great daypack.
$29 S30V steel fixed blade knife.
$89 Zamberlan Dakota boots on clearance.
$110 Zamberlan Dakota boots on clearance.
All my cheap fleece that I wear year round along with hunting.
My $20 clearance Microtex pants and shirts in whatever camo they had.
$19 Icebreaker merino shirts.
And my 1989 Toyota 4x4 was a steal 28 years ago for $15k. Averages out to about $45/month right now and goes down every year.

Rolando

FNG
$56 Icebreaker 260gr merino jacket from Amazon. That thing has been awesome.
$16 Truball Super Assassin release from Amazon.

ljalberta

WKR
I gotta go with clothing as well. Costco down jacket, down vest, fleece, 100% merino tops, and merino trail socks have all been great for me, for very little cost.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Costco wool socks. I think it was 4 pairs for $10.
They have been the best and longest lasting wool socks I have ever tried. Better than Smartwool, Cabelas, REI brand. I just bought a pair of Darn Tough socks so I will see how they hold up but they were almost twice the price for one pair.

jmez

WKR
Omni wool socks from Sam's Club. $15/3 pair. I have a few pair of name brand expensive socks. I can't tell a difference in comfort or durability.

Ozark Trail trekking poles from Wal Mart, $19.95. I bought them for my kids because they were going to destroy my expensive ones. Four boys havn't been able to hurt or damage them in three years of solid abuse.

Eureka sleeping bag. $45 on sale at Cabelas. Very light and have never gotten cold in the bag. Rated at 30 degrees. I've slept in it to mid 20's without issue.

Core 4 element merino base layers. Bought 6 shirts off Camofire 6 years ago. Figured durability may be an issue. I take two on my hunts. Shirts 4-6 are still in the plastic. Don't stink and don't itch.

CorbLand

WKR
Zip ties and electrical tape. Endless uses. Don't go anywhere with out them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrangler performance pants from walmart, $22
mora companion, $15
anker lc40 flashlight. they're $12 on amazon, run off aaa, and throw a serious beam.
my old faithful eureka 2 man tent. i've had it for almost 18 years and paid about $100 for it.