Recoil question-understanding it is subjective. 338WM vs 325WSM vs 375 Ruger

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am hoping for a response from someone that has actually fired these calibers from same/similar firearm- weight & dimension wise.

I own a 338 Kimber Montana and bought the gun in somewhat of an impulsive manner. I'd been looking at a larger caliber and was considering a 338, 325WSM and 375 Ruger and few others.

I like the Kimber but the recoil is stout-given the light weight of the rifle.

I sometimes wish I would bought the 325WSM instead. I know some folks don't care for the short magnums but I have a 270WSM that I am quite fond of so I have no issues with these guns.

I am considering selling the 338 and looking at a 325 WSM or even 375 Ruger. If I keep the 338 I intend to shorten the barrel and then look at different recoil pad. What I don't want to do is to port or brake the rifle.

My questions is how would you compare the recoil from these 3 calibers? As stated I realize this can be highly subjective but I believe it is possible to get good info from those that have fired these different calibers from a rifle of similar weight.

I'll add my intended usage would be elk and moose and I've thought of reloading "down" to use it as a deer gun also. I am not a long range hunter so I have no use for the super or ultra mags

Also part of what I'm looking to do is to pare down my guns and to have a limited few that cover all my needs. Whether I keep the 338 or not I want to sell or trade the ones that don't see any action so I want to have only one larger caliber rifle.

Anyone have real world experiences on these calibers?

Thanks so much

hodgeman

WKR
Felt recoil is very subjective, but all of these numbers can be stout- particularly in a lightweight rifle.

The .375 Ruger wasn't bad- the rifle was slightly heavier and the Hogue stock had a rather squishy feel. I felt a lot like a slug gun...sort of a big, slow, wallop.

The .338 in a Montana hits hard and fast. In my opinion, the "hardest kicker" of the bunch.

The .325 doesn't feel particularly different than my .300WSM...certainly not gentle, but not .338 or .375 levels.

All will take elk or moose easily.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks hodgeman. I understand the slow versus fast wallop comparison. I've not shot a WSM above 270 but good to hear about the 325

AXEL

WKR
I have considerable experience with the .375H&H, seven rifles of my own in 33 years plus shooting others belonging to friends. The average "kick" is equal to that of the Ruger, in rifles of equal weight with identical loads.

I am a .338WM fanatic, finest cartridge ever for BC and Canadian *Territories* uses, IMHO, owned a dozen over 49 years and have shot others. Fabulous when handloaded and less *kick* than the .375s, to me, anyway. A rifle as light as the Kimber Montana, is going to boot you some, no question and a recent conversation with a local gun nut, hunter, who has one tends to put me off buying one although I love my KMA .280AI.

I have two Dakota 76 rifles in .338 and my first, customized by Ralf Martini, top gunmaker, is just over 8 lbs, scoped with my preferred Leuopy VX3-1.75x6 MHD and is as light as I will go in this chambering. My STS Classic 70, also modded at Ralf's shop goes maybe 8.5 scoped and is ideal, 22.5" tube, 250 NPs @ 2670 fps-mv and holds close to a moa consistently.

No experience with the .325, too old to play with WSMs, but, my advice would be to cut the .338 to 23-24 in., have good irons installed and have it ported as my NO2 Dakota is, very light in it's factory MPI stock and quite nice to shoot even with my usual, "warm" 250 NP load.

Frankly, I would go with a .30-06, 200 Np at pushing 2700 before a .325, but, as always, YMMV.

HTH-JMHO

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks AXEL. I agree that the 338 is an awfully good caliber and ideally I can find a way to get comfortable with it. It is not something that makes me dread terribly shooting it but it does recoil substantially more than any of my other rifles and I've worked hard not to develop a flinch when shooting any gun. I already own a 30-06 and while it is a fine caliber I want something with a little more oomph.

Perhaps I will spend some more range time with the gun and see if we can get along a little better.

KJH

WKR
I have experience with all 3 calibers, just not in the same rifle. My input is certainly my subjective opinion. I am a fan of big rifles so I feel a lot of big recoil...Take that for whatever its worth.

The .375 Ruger is an awesome cartridge and comes with stout recoil. Its worth it when you're shooting at large game. My shoulder is only comfortably good for 30 rounds a day with it. I prefer big over fast, so I'm a little partial to this caliber. Its the low end of big rifles and the recoil is certainly manageable.

The .338 WM is another awesome cartridge that is really an all around gun. I really like it. Nothing you can't hunt with it. I don't think the recoil is all that much more than average (nothing special) for a bigger class rifle, but I would give the 338 WM some more time. It has much less recoil than the .375 Ruger cartridges out of a typical factory gun (says my shoulder leaving the range).

I have the least amount of experience with the 325WSM. My opinion is that the recoil is still nothing special and is noticeable but not excessive. I do feel it has similar recoil than the 338WM. I would pick the 338WM over the 325WSM if it were me.

I know its all subjective and the rifle has a lot to do with it. The science wouldn't lie and you could figure out the actual numbers, but IMO the 338WM and the 325WSM are not that much different in the recoil department. The 375 Ruger has more recoil but is a more capable rifle when looking at down range energy.

If you want to talk about recoil, I have a lightweight 338 RUM that will rattle your teeth and hurt your ears. If it wasn't such a accurate rifle, I'd never shoot it.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
I find recoil very subjective. Im a small guy though. Big guys seem to soak it up.

Hard and fast recoiling rifles bother me. I would much rather shoot my .375 H&H over my friends, .338 or .300 win mag. Of course it weighs in at 10 pounds so that makes a huge difference.

A couple of thoughts I had about your .338
Put a removable brake on it. Brake it for practice / remove it for hunting
Get a heavier stock for practice.
Mercury tube? I don't know how practical this would be. I know some of the double rifle shooters put them in the stock to tame recoil.

wyosteve

WKR
Not sure my comments will offer much help in the decision making for you. All I've shot for 30 plus years has been the .338WM. To some degree, recoil is dependent on your body size. Just as a heavier rifle will generate less felt recoil, recoil will affect a bigger body less imo. I've had about 5 or 6 different .338's in that time. Currently own 2, a Rem. 700 KS and a custom ultra light. My custom is my 'go to' for everything from elk/moose/bears down to antelope and deer. My custom, bare rifle weighs 4 3/4 lbs. With scope, sling and 4 rds. it goes 6 1/4 lb. It does have a brake. In the field, to me, it feels about like my 12 ga. shooting 3 inch magnum shells. My KS, does not have a brake and goes about 7 1/2 lbs. set up. Recoil on that is also not objectionable. Not sure why your aversion to a brake, but on the light Kimber, it would make a big difference. I prefer the flexibility of loads as well as availability of ammo which, in part, is why I've stuck to this caliber. Just my .02.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
wyosteve,

I will admit my aversion to a muzzle brake is based on some ignorance on my part-that is I only have experience from being around others shooting with a brake and I have not used one myself. I was recently at a rifle range where a guy was shooting with a brake and the rifle was unholy loud. Very noticeable even with proper hearing protection. Also I am admittedly a keep it simple guy and would rather not have to be concerned with too much ancillary stuff on a rifle.

I might have to change my way of thinking but this is where I am now. Thank so much for your feedback.

I'll add I am 5'8" and 185 lbs so certainly not terribly small in body size. I've shot a 12 gauge quite a few times with very heavy magnum loads so I am no stranger to recoil but with a shotgun I did not have to worry about being popped by a scope.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I have always felt that the .338 WM is disproportionately worse than the .300 WM. The .375s have always felt akin to 3" 12ga slugs, which are not intolerable for 10-20 rounds for me.

LaGriz

WKR
philos,
have owned a Kimber Montana in .325 WSM for 10 + years. I went a good while before I admitted the recoil was a problem for me. Had a brake installed and the recoil is now less than that of my .280 rem. The problem is even while hunting, I need ear protection to shoot it. If you go with a brake at some point, opt for a removable one.

Recently had a classic pre-64 M70 30-06 Winchester re-bored (by JES) to a 338-06. This allowed me to keep the factory 22"BBL with the iron sights, and the high capacity magazine. Recoil is quite tolerable (compared to my Kimber without a brake) as the walnut stocked Winchester is around 8 lbs. scoped, and is now fitted with a recoil pad. I have been getting good accuracy with the factory Nosler 200 gr. AB loads rated at 2800 fps. This load is only slightly slower than a 338 win mag load. You might consider this option as you are admittedly not a long range guy.

I have yet to get into hand loading for any of my rifles. This caliber and my .358 Win are going to push me towards the purchase of that gear very soon. Good luck with the research!

LaGriz

cnelk

WKR
My experience with a belted magnum is with my .340 Weatherby - loaded with 225gr bullets and 90grs H4831
I have an AccuBrake on it and even with that, there is data that shows the recoil compares to a 7mm Mag

Without the AccuBrake the 340 recoil is fierce, very fierce.

Any muzzle brake will indeed help with recoil, but you trade off muzzle blast effect - be sure to wear hearing protection at all times