Pack Weight for 8 day hunt

chas

Lil-Rokslider
I wondering what is your the average pack weight for a 8 day archery hunt. I'm at 52 lb right now fully loaded, minus the bow attached to the pack. Leaving for Colorado next week for the early archery opener. Thanks for any input.

texag10

WKR
I'm at 33lbs with 2 liters of water for everything but the clothes I'm wearing and my bow, but that's 5 days of food. I have just over a pound a day of food.

Overall how much does your food weigh? I don't think that sounds too bad, but that would depend on what your food weighs. I have gone for 5 days with water and everything and been just over 38lbs. If I am going where it is cold I try to keep my gear sans food and water to under 25lbs, if I am not expecting inclement weather I "try" and stay under 20lbs.

I also agree with Whalediver, if you have been training to motor around mountains with a heavy back then I wouldn't worry about it.

bcimport

WKR
I leave for a 12 day stone sheep hunt Saturday. I'm at 48 pounds with 1L of water loaded and my partner is at 55. Not much extra other than the bare essentials. Food is just over 1.5# a day for me. Rifle weight isn't included but spare ammo is.

Base pack 27.6
10 days food 13.4
3 liters of water 6.6
Total pack 47.6
Total weight 66.3

That's more like what my pack weight is for 8 nights. I'm always astounded when people talk about having sub 50# packs for a 8-10 night trip. either I bring too much crap or I don't have expensive enough gear. Because I've heard the lighter your wallet is, the lighter your pack will be.

OP
chas

chas

Lil-Rokslider
My food is at 1.8-2 lb. a day. Not sure what else I can cut at this point. Laying it out on the floor, it sure seems spars compared to taking the family out for the weekend, kitchen sink and all. :)

Last edited:

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds fine to me. Depending on where you go in Colorado you might have more accessibility to groceries than others. The first time I elk hunted I planned on 7-8 nights. I ended up moving around so much I never slept in one place more than 3 nights. Every time I would head back to the truck i would just replenish my food and water supply. I guess it just depends on where you go, who you're going with and how you hunt. I guess others are a lot more hardcore than I am but It's usually not a big deal to hit the truck every 4 days or so. Hunt on the way in and on the way out.

If you're going to stay entirely mobile that's a different story. I might do some of that this year and pick up and move my spike camp every night.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm about the same right now an 8-10 day hunt, but I haven't put my food bags together yet so I'm estimating a bit. My base camp is going to be 2-3 miles in and I figure I can carry about anything I want that far. I'll be day hunting out from there, so really light the rest of the trip.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Wow some freaky light weight set ups for extended hunts

I'm the 55 lb for 7 days
But it's with tipi, and wood stove, bear prevention gear

Take what you need, try to avoid 2 of somethings, and make sue you have 2 of the right things, like water system, fire, etc

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
Meals
Breakfast cereal/protein powder 6oz 790cal
snack1 kind bar 1.5oz 200cal
Lunch probar meal bar/jerkey 5oz 560cal
snack4 planter nutrition 1.5oz 250cal
dinner Dehydrated 5oz 600cal
dessert snickers/hot choc 2.5oz 330cal
Total 21.5oz 2730cal

Pack kifaru 26 duplex dt2/gu 136 oz
Water Bladder platypus big zip 3l 6.4 oz

Tent/Tarp/bivy 9x8 sil tarp outdoor research helium bivy 34.5 oz
Sleeping Bag kelty light year 45 down bag 34.5 oz
Tent stakes/guyline 12 msr ground hog / 100 ft lawson's 2mm glowire 10.0 oz
sitting pad therma rest z-seat 1.8 oz
Sleeping Pad therma rest pro lite small/ 30" therma rest z-lite 17.0 oz

Stove/cookpot/cozy/fuel optimus crux lite/gsi Halulite Minimalist/reflixtix cozy,Utensils,4oz fuel 21.5 oz
Water Filter Kit sawyer mini,misc hoses,caribener,hang rope 7.5 oz
extra bladder 4l msr dromlite/10l dromadary 7.0 oz
32 oz bottle power aid bottle 2.0 oz
Food/Trash Hangbag/bear line kifaru mega pull out/carabiner/ 50 ft Ultraglide bear line 4.5 oz
Packed Clothes
Socks first lite Mountain Athlete Compression 3.0 oz
Sleep slippers MUK LUKS Morty Ragg Wool Socks 7.5 oz
boxers ice breaker merino wool 2.6 oz
base top midweight sitka core heavy weight hoody 13.2 oz
Base Bottom core4element merino wool 7.0 oz
Insulation Kryptek Aquillo Jacket 17.0 oz (may switch this for kelvin active and kelvin lite Jacket)
Rainwear Cabela's Instinct Ultra-Pack jacket/pants 13.4 oz (or usmc Lightweight Exposure Suit which is around 32 oz weather dependend)
light weight beanie sitka merino wool 1.6 oz
Beanie first lite tag cuff 2.0 oz
neck gaiter aerowool 1.4 oz
gloves sitka/gorilla 2.8 oz

Personal/Hygene
Toothbrush/Paste 1 oz
Baby Wipes & TP 13.0 oz
Backpacking Towel 1.7 oz

Navigation Model
Map 2.0 oz
Sat Comm. Spot gen3 3.5 oz
GPS w/ Batteries Garmin 62s 8.0 oz
Compass & Whistle silva 1.0 oz

Possibles pouch Model 0.0 lbs Still need to put together

kill kit 16.5 oz
bag kifaru medium pull out
knife tyto with 6 blades
reflective guyline 100 foot of zig it
Tags & License
Flagging Tape small roll
latex gloves 2 pair
Game Bags tag bomb bags

Electronics
Headlamp w/ Batteries 2.8 oz
Camera 7.0 oz
SD Card x2
Extra Batterys 8 4.4 oz

Hunting Gear
Wind Checker 2.0 oz
Calls 1.0 oz
Bugle 13.8 oz
Bow Repair Still need to put together
Extra Release 2.8 oz

Gear that is worn, or carried in…

Boots Lowa Z8 58 oz
boxers ice breakers 2.6 oz
Socks first lite Mountain Athlete Compression 3 oz
Base Top first lite merino wool 8.3 oz
Pant Sitka Mountian 20 oz
Ball Cap Sitka 2.4 oz
Watch Casio 1.6 oz
wrist compass sunto m9 2 oz
Trekking Poles Black Diamond 17 oz

Bino Harnees Alaskan Guide Creations/Fhf range finder pouch 23 oz
Range finder Bushnell 5.8 oz
Binoculars Meopta 10x32 HD 21.1 oz
Headlamp w/ Batteries Black Diamond 3.1 oz
Fire Kit 4 oz
First Aid 6 oz
Wind Checker 2 oz
Emergancy-Blanket 3 oz
Elk Calls 1 oz
Extra Batterys ? oz

Weapon
Bow,Quiver with Arrows Hoyt spyder 34,Tight Spot, 108 oz
Extra Arrows 5 arrows 4 oz
Release 2.8 oz

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I wondering what is your the average pack weight for a 8 day archery hunt. I'm at 52 lb right now fully loaded, minus the bow attached to the pack. Leaving for Colorado next week for the early archery opener. Thanks for any input.

What is the food and pack in water weight separated from the gear weight?

44 lbs here, including 1L of water for 8 days. Food is 1.5 lbs per day.

This does not include my bow, bino harness, rangefinder, GPS and Sat texter, as these are on my body.

Trial153

WKR
8 days in an going to be pushing 45 -50 pounds

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OK_hunter

FNG
This is my first year to backpack hunt but right now for a 7-8 day cow Elk hunt in WY my pack with rifle,optics, 3L of water, and food will be right at 55 pounds. I can drop 5 pounds in optics pretty easy but I like the option to do some digiscoping if I see a nice bull or buck. My base pack weight without the rifle, water and food is just under 33 pounds (this includes optics not needed for a cow hunt and luxury item such as helinox chair).

I always end up between 45-50 lbs. The only difference between 2 days and 10 days is the amount of food. I've always read and heard about really light packs, but never could figure it out myself. Now I've pretty much give up on trying. I know when I go with my son or my father in law or someone without much experience their packs can be light because I'm carrying all the heavy stuff that we only need one of. When someone says their pack weight is 30 lbs, I always wonder is someone is carrying their camp in for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk