Please give more info when posting about accuracy,sighting in, load development, etc.

colonel00

WKR
I don't know if the title of this thread does the question/request justice or not. Also, not sure if this is the best sub-forum.

Anyway, I often see folks posting thread or photos of their results when sighting in a certain rifle or working up loads. However, one factor that seems to be often left out is how you are going about these tasks. More specifically, are you shooting from a Lead Sled or similar device? Are you shooting off of bags? Maybe a bipod? Perhaps you are emulating more realism and shooting off hand or off of a pack?

I think information like this would be invaluable to readers as it gives more insight to expectations and results. I can't think of any specifics off hand and it doesn't really matter so I'll throw out a theoretical example:

Thread is about a load workup on a Tikka or Kimber or one of the great custom rifles out there. They post photos showing a fantastic group and talk about the load or what factory ammo it is but never mention all of the other variables in play or lack there of due to how the shots were taken. Someone may read a thread and see where "insert rifle" shoots 1/4" MOA and the photo results look fantastic. However, when they go the range and try to get decent groups with a different setup (let's say sand bags vs. a sled that was used in the original thread) their results are less that satisfactory and now they question the rifle.

I guess I'm just reinforcing the idea that more information is always better. Hell, take a picture of your shooting setup just like you take a picture of your target after the shots. Or, explain a little more about your technique and experience. I really think this will help people understand, especially newer folks that we all want to get into hunting, that a rifle isn't a magical device that will drive tacks regardless of all of the other variables.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Your right, I have experienced the same thing when I started down this road.

Here is my latest
Savage 116 weather warrior in 30-06 (accutrigger / accustock)
Leupold VX3i - 3x9x40 with CDS
Average 3 shot group 1", Sometimes less / sometimes more
The groups tend to string horizontally. I shot a 5/8" the other day.

I use a home made bench and a folding chair.
I have some Caudwell shooting bags.
I also use some pieces of wood with carpet attached to elevate the front bag when needed. (2x4 and 1x4)
A really good tip I picked up. I use a target with a 2" x 2" black square on it. Aim at one of the corners. This immediately tightened up my groups from the bench.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I guess to revisit this a little, there is a huge difference between the accuracy of a rifle and the accuracy of a rifle including the influence from the shooter. I'd just like to see/hear more about the testing scenarios. If you are shooting with a device that minimizes the imperfections of the shooter and truly just tries to show the accuracy of the rifle then that's fantastic. Everyone likes to see those nice cloverleafs. Just provide that info so everyone is informed.