Aerial maps for phone

Julius K

FNG
Which apps allow you to see aerial images in the field, and show your location when you are out of service? I am scouting for moose, and have been looking at google earth to ID clear cuts. The hunt zone doesn't get cell reception.

2five7

WKR
Which phone? If you're on Android check out backcountry navigator. Not sure for iPhone, OnX I guess?

snakelk

WKR
Backcountry Navigator (Android) is what I use. Gaia is another option and can be used on IOS or Android. I have both apps on my Samsung S8 but find that Backcountry Navigator is superior for satellite imagery and ease of use. I use World Imagery for satellite imagery and Caltopo 24K for topographic. You can download and save specific areas on your phone to use when out of cell service. GPS works without cell service as well, allowing you to run in airplane mode (conserving battery). It's well worth the $10 for the app in my opinion.

OP
Julius K

Julius K

FNG
I have an iPhone 7. I will check out these apps. Thanks!

I've been been taking screenshots of areas of interest where we're going. I take one zoomed out somewhat with the point of interest centered. Then another screenshot zoomed in closer. Kinda "archaic" I guess but I'm afraid of how much battery Gaia will use up

Vids

WKR
I have an iPhone 7 plus. I have Topo Maps+ and downloaded topo and aerial photos for my hunting areas. I haven't tried them in the field yet, but have tested it at home putting the phone in airplane mode and it works great.