Kifaru gun bearer ?

muddydogs

WKR
So I just got this gun bearer the universal one and all I can see in my future is broken glasses and chipped teeth. I'm trying it on a MR Guide Light Frame and found that the short belt strap is plenty of strap, The shoulder strap has way to much velcro to go around the shoulder strap and enough gun strap to strap 3 guns up but I can deal with this. My mai problem is on my shorter barrel 25-06 the barrel ends about two inches from my mouth and all I can see is me eating the end of the barrel if I happen to stumble which isn't uncommon for me. When I put my longer barreled 7mm in the contraption the barrel is about 3 inches away from my glasses and even just walking across the carpet the barrel has enough play to hit my grasses.

Any tips on rigging this thing up? I realized at 6'10" tall I might have issues with the barrel being close to my face but from what I'm seeing its way to close.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't already you may try sliding the stock cradle further back. This could take the barrel further away from your face. As frequently as I wish I were a few inches taller it's times like this that make be happy the be close to avenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

muddydogs

WKR
Never mind, I'm sending this deal back. Figured out that is I raised the butt stirrup as high as I can then the rifle rides with the barrel a little more forward. During all this fitting the plastic buckle in the butt stirrup marked up my fine montecarlo stock then it puts the shoulder strap slider at an angle where it digs into the forend. The butt stirrup is so high and tight to the waist belt plus its back on the waist belt as far as it will go I have to use my right hand to get the rifle butt in the stirrup since I can't see it at all. The shoulder strap won't stay in position without the sternum strap hooked up when the rifle is hanging on it and with the sternum strap hooked both shoulder straps pull to the right, I feel like I'm listing right in general with the rifle in the bearer.
Not to mention the front of the scope is under my arm and all I see happening here is a fogged up scope lense. I don't generally hunt with a scope cover on my scope so having the glass under my hot sweaty armpit just won't be good.
The rifle butt also hangs up coming out of the stirrup which isn't good as well.

Dude. You're six-ten.....

Stick your gun in your back pocket!
Hahaha i was thinking the same thing. Damn man, you are tall.

Hope its not a common occurrence for us hobbit folk cause I was planning on getting one

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
At 6'1 mine is just right with a 13 pound rifle it carries like a dream. Mine is on a Kifaru pack and not the universal one.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
Never mind, I'm sending this deal back. Figured out that is I raised the butt stirrup as high as I can then the rifle rides with the barrel a little more forward. During all this fitting the plastic buckle in the butt stirrup marked up my fine montecarlo stock then it puts the shoulder strap slider at an angle where it digs into the forend. The butt stirrup is so high and tight to the waist belt plus its back on the waist belt as far as it will go I have to use my right hand to get the rifle butt in the stirrup since I can't see it at all. The shoulder strap won't stay in position without the sternum strap hooked up when the rifle is hanging on it and with the sternum strap hooked both shoulder straps pull to the right, I feel like I'm listing right in general with the rifle in the bearer.
Not to mention the front of the scope is under my arm and all I see happening here is a fogged up scope lense. I don't generally hunt with a scope cover on my scope so having the glass under my hot sweaty armpit just won't be good.
The rifle butt also hangs up coming out of the stirrup which isn't good as well.

That's too bad that it isn't going to work for you. I really like mine. Are you planning on trying a different brand/style, or will you just stick with the sling and carry method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

muddydogs

WKR
I was trying this as I liked the idea of my waist belt supporting the weight. I hate regular traditional slings and about 6 years ago started messing around with the military 2 point sling. All my rifles have custom front and rear straps on them that I hook a 2 point sling to and carry the rifle across my waist just under my bino harness with the muzzle down. This year I made sling straps that hook into my pack shoulder straps which work well. Problem is I generally carry my rifle in my hands and I don't like the straps just hanging off my shoulder straps or carrying a sling in my hands with the rifle as it gets hung up on brush and stuff. This is why I has intrigued with the gun bearer as I could carry my rifle with no sling but have a system without a lot of hanging straps to secure the rifle when I wanted.

I do like the 2 point system as I can steer my rifle barrel around things with either hand or carry it in my hands to take the weight off my shoulders, my old 2 point system has a webbing strap that went over my right shoulder and under my left arm, and the rifle is quick to shoulder.
I will continue along with my 2 point system an continue to improve on it as ideas come to me.

robtattoo

WKR
Silly question, since you've already stated that it's not for you, but how much actual time have you spent with it?
This is one of those things that I thought would be a good idea, was half-determined to not like, then fell in love with. I'll be honest, it took me quite a while to figure out exactly how to get it situated & adjusted correctly, but now that I have, I wouldn't be parted from it!

OP
M

muddydogs

WKR
Well considering the plastic slider buckles already put marks on my stocks I'm not putting another rifle in it. I have no problem with honest use marks on my rifles but I draw the line at equipment that does it.

I love my "Gunbearer" although it gets used 99% of the time to carry my bow. I have 3 and all work for me as advertised. I don't torque the barrel strap down tight, but let the gun or bow lean forward away from my face at about a 60-70* angle and adjust the bottom strap appropriately. As per strap clip marks, you can protect a stock with tape on it, or with tape over the clip.......Gorilla tape is great for this application if you are anal. Anyway, I'm a very satisfied Gunbearer user for the past 18 years.