Inquiry about finding elk in heavy bear and wolf area.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have been scouting a place near Montana/Idaho boarder over the last couple weeks. So far it appears that there is a lot of bear and wolf sign, including tracks and scat. I have not found much in the way of elk or deer droppings. The game cams I had set out for a couple weeks have shown bear and deer, but no elk. I did see 1 cow elk hiking in. It seems odd that there are not many elk or deer droppings. In your observations, when predators move in, do the elk disappear before the deer? If an area is dry of sign, how far does one often go before getting back into elk? Wondering if I should drive 20 miles down the road, or just try a new part of the state/mountain range all together. Thanks

Keep looking. There are plenty of elk all along the border. It may be the next ridge over or a completely different drainage. Wolves and bears definitely affect the elk but they are still around

Anyone who believes wolves and game animals cohabitate in any meaningful numbers are living in a fantasy world. Move on. imho.