Muley freak bino harness warning

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to warn anyone looking at ordering a muley freak bino harness that you can't return it. I was not smart enough to read it on their website and don't want anyone else to make the same mistake. I ordered the harness and received it last week and was very unimpressed when I received it. Harness fits really weird on my body and is uncomfortable. I think if I was shorter the harness would fit fine but for my body it doesn't fit comfortably and feels awkward. The other complaint is that the binos don't slide easily in and out of the harness and get hung up because the material is too floppy. Emailed muley freak and got an email saying they don't accept returns after a few emails back and forth they said I could exchange it for store credit. Not really into the muley freak swag, so I'm stuck with the harness.

I guess we should not take the great companies like Kenetrek, vortex, stone glacier, Kifaru, even cabelas, and many others who stand behind their products for granted. In the end it's my fault for not reading the return policy but I've come to expect more from companies.

Don't want to offend anyone who likes the harness just sharing my thoughts on it. I really like the idea behind it, but for me it was a flop

twall13

WKR
I'm sure you could sell it on here to recoup most of your money. Although it may not work for you I'm sure it will work well for someone else. Just a thought.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

willidru

WKR
What size harness did you have and what binos didn't fit well? How tall are you for them not fitting? Just checking because I was interested in the harness

OP
F

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I got the larger harness because I wanted a little more room in the range finder pouch. I have zeiss conquest 10x42 so there's plenty of room for the binos they just take some fiddling with to get them in the harness. I'm a about 6-3, but the problem with the harness is the mesh area is not long enough if you extended it 2-3 more inches it would feel a lot more comfortable. So may work for someone shorter.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as the binos fitting in the harness, it just took me using it a bit to break it in. I have the large using the Swaro EL Ranges that are bulkier than normal 10's anyways, but it just took some uses to break it in. The attachment points are different on this harness compared to others, but it's still comfortable for me and I don't get the neck rubbing with a t shirt on as I did with a couple of the others. Just took a little getting used to because it is slightly different.

If this is true and they are not taking back a perfectly new item that just didn't fit right with tags and packaging, they will never see my business. I have never seen a business do that to its customers.

I was throwing the idea around of getting a bino harness. I probably won't be going that direction after reading this. I was leaning toward the FHF or AGC cub and now I'm deffinately leaning hard that way.

2ski

WKR
As far as the binos fitting in the harness, it just took me using it a bit to break it in. I have the large using the Swaro EL Ranges that are bulkier than normal 10's anyways, but it just took some uses to break it in. The attachment points are different on this harness compared to others, but it's still comfortable for me and I don't get the neck rubbing with a t shirt on as I did with a couple of the others. Just took a little getting used to because it is slightly different.
How tall are you Jordan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
Why didn't you choose a fhf harness I love mine and the fit is good. I was just wondering what it had that made you pull the trigger in that direction

OP
F

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I liked having a range finder pouch and the harness being forward opening. I still think the idea behind the harness is good just poor execution, and worse customer service.

This is my post C & P from another thread about Kuiu bino harnesses:

"I use a KUIU because its low profile and simple but don't like that there is no good place for a Rangefinder and un-clipping the binos to put on a tripod is a bit of a pain. After a few years with it and trying a few other bulkier harnesses I am just going to sew the shoulder straps onto the body of the harness and keep using it.

I purchased a Muley Freak because I thought it would address all these issues. I was disappointed to find that it was cheaply made with crappy materials and I didn't like it. It sagged off my chest because the shoulder straps are sewn to the stretchy outer material on the top of the back rather than to the structured support inside and the side pockets are very small and have no stretch so they are useless. The front rangefinder pocket is made of the same thin stretchy material with no structure so it is difficult to use and they should have put a loop inside to tether you rangefinder to. The webbing used for the straps is coarse and cheap and the hardware wasn't impressive either. For $95 it should have been much better. The whole thing feels like a cheapo kids backpack not quality hunting gear.

I tried to return it the same day I received it and checked it out inside my house. They told me they didn't have a return procedure. After a couple phone calls and a 4-5 emails (EDIT: more like 6 calls and 7-8 emails by the time got my refund) Muley Freak finally offered me a refund after I shipped it back.

The Muley Freak design is pretty good in concept but poorly executed. It's pretty obvious they send a KUIU harness to a cut and sew factory in china and asked them to copy it with a few tweaks.

I think the Outdoor Vision one looks pretty nice.

Edit: I'm no KUIU FanBoi and think Jason is a bit of a turd but they make a couple things I like."

Update I finally did get a refund, I had to pay shipping though.