Flying with Backpack

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I are flying to Fairbanks via Alaska Air in a couple weeks. We're trying to figure out the best way to get our gear there and don't want to have to deal with the hassle of shipping. For obvious reasons, I'd like to keep as much of my gear in the cabin of the plan with me rather than having to check it. Has anyone successfully carried their pack on the plane? I have a SG Sky Talus and when not fully loaded, can get it pretty cinched down. Per Alaska Air's website, their carry-on size is L-24"X W-17" X H-10" and I think I can get my pack pretty close. I supposed I'm just wondering how big of sticklers they are on the size and if anyone has any tips from past experiences.

Thanks!

young7.3

WKR
It really depends on Alaska Air's strictness. I have flown via Southwest several times while carrying my EXO 3500 on carry on. I would do the obvious things (compress as much as possible, no liquids, vacuum pack your clothes to make more room). Pack the more expensive items in your carry on pack and the rest goes in a checked bag.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've flown United from Houston to Denver and back with my Kifaru Reckoning. I just take off the external pouches (left the belt pouches on) and fill it up with optics and camera gear that I don't want getting damaged as checked luggage.

ChrisS

WKR
Check the size of the plane. Bigger planes, bigger overheads. When I've flown with my pack, I just took the belt off and stuffed it in the bag and compressed it down. You can also gate check bags if they're a bit big and cramped for space. It's easy enough.

That said every airline can be different. In this age of added baggage fees to keep rates low, more and more people push the boundaries of the carry-on rules leading to air crew to crack down in some cases. I saw this one couple drag a huge-ass duffle on board. Couldn't fit it in an overhead so they tried putting their feet on it to hide it from the aircrew. It didn't work and the plane was delayed a few minutes so that they could drag the bag off and gate check it.

KJH

WKR
I pack mine full of gear, clothing to the outside as cushion... cinch it down. Duct tape the hell out of it (around both ways). Then check it as baggage. Make sure all the straps are either taken off completely or taped down... no loose ends or things flapping. I tape up the waist belt and the shoulder straps. Every thing that can be folded up or rolled up, is...

Its always made it, Alaska Air, Delta, and American. I'll be headed there soon via Alaska Airline and the only think I'll be traveling with is my pack (checked) and one small carry on with my optics and electronics.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I fly with my Kifaru all the time. It's a 24" frame. Just try and pack it as low profile as you can.. mines camera gear and a couple jackets. My bud Nick has a 26" frame and does it... he says "Cram that .... up there and don't give an f how anyone looks at you". Haha, I tend to agree. With that pack compressed down like that, it will fit in an overhead without a problem.

slvrslngr

WKR
If you're going to hunt, there is no way you'll be able to carry all your gear onto the plane. Carry on the important stuff, tag/license, binos, boots, a full set of clothes. Check everything else. Alaska Airlines is used to handling backpacks, so it should be handled well. One thing you can do is ask them to put your pack in a plastic bag when you check in. Another option, if you don't have a ton of stuff, is to carry your pack through security and check it at the gate. Whatever you decide to do, be absolutely sure there are no prohibited items in the pack you carry through security. Nothing will ruin your day quicker than TSA finding a knife, cartridge or loaded round in your carry on!

skifunk2

FNG
Sometimes on full flights, on Alaska they'll ask to gate check any questionable sized carry-ons to help in the space savings... its free, and guaranteed to get there(on a non layover flight), so we usually just pack a carryon with our clothing, etc. that we expect to gate check if given the ability too, if not it will still fit overhead and keep all of our valuable stuff on the actual carry-on that we want to keep safe, jammed under the seat... so far it worked pretty well for a family of 4.

dukhunt

FNG
I have the same bag as you and have used it as my carry on twice this year both with United flights and have not had any problems. They didn't even question it.

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks for the info everyone. The plan is to keep the optics and other expensive, hard to replace gear (including the backpacks) with us on the plane. We'll then check a bag full of clothes and other items would could more easily replace in Fairbanks if our bag gets lost. Fingers crossed nothing get's lost (including the gun case!), just want to plan for the worst!

Heath

slvrslngr

WKR
Your plan is solid, it's good to prepare for the worst. Airlines actually losing a bag is pretty rare these days, though delays still happen. Usually your bag will show up the next day and the airline has it delivered to your house or hotel. Have a great time in AK!

GotDraw?

WKR
I have been on the wrong side of a boarding agent with my EXO 3500 backpack.

BEST ADVICE- make the pack "look" much smaller by taking off the belt. Put the belt in the bag or in carry on.

The belt's mass is what really bugged the eyes of the gate agent and pissed her off, necessitating that I pull the whole bag apart and reconfigure it with only minutes to spare.

JL