unable to find a good flat for camping, any unique ideas/experiences?

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
One benefit of a hammock that is often overlooked is that in the middle of the night, when its freezing cold and you wake up needing to pee, you can just fold back your quilt, roll onto your side, hang out over the edge of the hammock and have a pee without even getting out. I remember the days when a call of nature meant getting out of my sleeping bag, putting shoes on, shivering in the cold air.... I haven't had to do that for years.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
this is what i had to do the last time i hunted here a few years ago...i guess that's fine if it works, but i do wonder if i had gotten a bad rain if i would be lying in a pool of water from runoff

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 109

LandYacht

WKR
Just dig a trench around the top of your carved out flat spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Just dig a trench around the top of your carved out flat spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ha, i actually did do a small one you cant see in the picture.....only had minimal rain so not sure if it would or wouldnt have worked

If it's going to be a place you'll utilize multiple times grab some dead aspen branches and bury them on downhill side to make your self more level and then half bury a few more in conjunction with your U shaped trench above to really divert run off.

1signguy

WKR
this is what i had to do the last time i hunted here a few years ago...i guess that's fine if it works, but i do wonder if i had gotten a bad rain if i would be lying in a pool of water from runoff

I think you are more than fine- especially with a tent floor that goes up a few inches. Not sure I see any benefit to a hammock in that situation other than comfort. But it comes at a weight penalty so you have to balance the two out...

If I was real concerned about weather I would add a large tarp and stake it or tie it off a few feet about the tent. Any water coming down the hill should stop well before it reaches your space... Great picture!

One benefit of a hammock that is often overlooked is that in the middle of the night, when its freezing cold and you wake up needing to pee, you can just fold back your quilt, roll onto your side, hang out over the edge of the hammock and have a pee without even getting out. I remember the days when a call of nature meant getting out of my sleeping bag, putting shoes on, shivering in the cold air.... I haven't had to do that for years.

I usually stop at the convenience store on the way out and get a drink in a plastic bottle with a large lid. Used to be big mouth soda bottles, but now it is iced tea our a sports drink. That empty bottle and lid stay within reach of my bag at night or in the bag with me if it is really cold.

Rokwiia

WKR
A hammock is the way to you in the OP's scenario. Check out The Hammock Forums and you can find various "get togethers" that occur in your particular area. It is an excellent way to see and use various hammocks before buying.

There is a bit of a learning curve. Knot tying for sure. The good news is there are a a ton of excellent videos on the internet that show you how to hang your hammock from soup to nuts.

Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective - Hammock Camping News and Announcements

GotDraw?

WKR
PM'd the OP Re hammock use.
Strongly recommend them. No stress RE finding tent sites or digging bivvy bag level when you're exhausted...

And you can use the hammock tarp as a tarp tent if it's configured properly.

JL

In unknown alpine environments I usually just sleep in a waterproof bivy on the ground with no tarp which works fine if only a drizzle or a quick afternoon storm blows through. Ive yet to find a place I cant set up pretty quickly ranging from around 6000 ft to around 13000 . The hammock set up can work and be versatile when using anchors such as cams, nuts, or slings in above treeline environments . I personally do not sleep well in hammocks but many guys love them.