unable to find a good flat for camping, any unique ideas/experiences?

sk1

WKR
just curious if anyone deals with this and what you've done to overcome it

so long story but due to some restrictions as well as popular hiking trails, i have an area that is terribly difficult finding a suitable camp site even for my small tent. i dont want to camp right on top in the open by the hiking trail, and to find a decent flat i pretty much need to camp down at the bottom of the mountain valley and hike up and over to the other side every morning. im sure some small spots exist, but ive studied maps and hiked around, ive yet to find a good one near where i want to be.

a few years ago i took a small pick axe with me and literally carved a flat into the side of the mountain in some aspens. it worked well even though it was a bit of a pain. i didn't experience any significant rain, so im still not sure if thats the best idea....i would think it would all drain down onto my flat and cause problems. still, i am considering doing this again this year. the only other solution i can think of is buying a hammock style tent which i just thought of while typing this.....not sure thats going to happen for this year though.

anyone have any unique camp locations you've had to get creative with?

1signguy

WKR
A hammock takes some time to learn and understand. Not near as simple as hanging it up and crawling in... I would suggest a tarp and/or a bivy depending on the weather.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
A hammock takes some time to learn and understand. Not near as simple as hanging it up and crawling in... I would suggest a tarp and/or a bivy depending on the weather.

a tarp doesnt fix the problem that the mountainside is steep

i dont disagree about a hammock probably taking some getting used to

FlyGuy

WKR
With a floorless tarp, you only need a flat spot big enough for your body to lay in, A deer bed for example. The tarp can be pitched parallel to the slope angle.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Hammocks are great. If you can borrow one and sleep in the backyard one night you will know real quick whether you hate it or could grow to love it.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, although hammocks aren't for everyone they really do help with camp selection in rough or uneven terrain. I've strung mine on hillsides and across creeks, places where you couldn't possibly sleep if ground camping. I've also had plenty of instances where I've woken through the night to find a storm has hit and I have a water streaming underneath me, that would be pretty uncomfortable if sleeping on the ground but I just rolled over and went back to sleep

1signguy

WKR
A bivy has a small footprint and a tarp can be hung regardless of slope- as said- a deer bed is all you need...
I have been using hammocks for the last several years but they can take up more pack space depending on the type and there is a weight penalty...
With the above in mind, a hammock snooze is some of the best sleeping I have ever done!

ethan

WKR
Hammocks are great, but they sleep cold! I don't get cold when I sleep, unless it's cool and I'm in a hammock

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely need good insulation underneath, either an insulating mat/pad or preferably a good under quilt.

Also a trap that some people make us to hang the hammock too high, if it is cold or windy I generally hang it so that my butt is about 6" above the ground when I'm lying in it, that way you are less affected by wind etc, I also hang my tarp to try to block any likely breezes if possible

bpctcb

WKR
I started dabbling in hammocks after my first year elk hunting in stupid steep areas. Bottom insulation is required for the ground or a hammock. Go to hammockforms.net for great info on hammocks. There is a learning curve with hammocks, but with quality gear they work well.

BP

GotDraw?

WKR
Hammock, 10-11 ft long, whoopie slings, 11 ft long tarp, tarp tensioners. Underquilt rated 20 degrees or colder. Hex tarp or full tarp rectangular shaped tarp, so you have room to get dressed and sit if it's nasty. If snow, then tarp with doors.

Tarp should not be integrated w/your hammock, that way you can use it as a ground tarp or a tarp to stand under if it's raining.

Hammock must hand at proper angle and you sleep diagonally in it.

There is a learning curve, but if you badly want to hunt in the steeps then hustle up and learn fast. I hunt in the steeps. Properly hung hammock is darn comfy. I've slept through some wicked storms and stayed dry.

PM me with questions.

JL

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
I have spent many nights in a deer bed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Yep, a little excavation isn't hard, unless it's rock!

Ive actually hiked in and camped in this spot a lot and there was a little game trail that was somewhat flatish and just wide enough for my pad. A little digging with a stick and I now have nice little flat.

b4ddfdcc333e5de65f71a9a0b2b4d330.jpg

I'm intrigued by the idea of a hammock setup for a one night spike in steep country.

What hammock are you all using? I have an ENO that I honestly have only used 2 or 3 times in the summer. If I put a good sleeping pad in and climb in it will something like that work? I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as having an under quilt but from an insulation standpoint it should be similar, right? Will the air space under cool you more than the same insulation layer on the ground?

Are you guys cobbling your own tarp covering or purchasing them? What does your total hammock/shelter weigh?

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a Hennessy hammock for close to 10 years. I have spent many nights in the hammock and I find it much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. The model that I have specifically is the Hennessy ultralight backpacker Asym classic. It has a bottom velcro entry and after you are in the hammock the entire top consists of an integrated bug net. It has a separate tarp that you hang over it so you have flexibility on the height or location of the tarp. In the daytime you can sit on the outside of the hammock without getting into it. I greatly prefer it over a tent.

I can't sleep every night in a hammock, but I do carry one so that I can use it when the terrain dictates. a small Coughlan's folding saw from Wal-Mart or Sportsman's is really helpful for pruning trees for your setup. I sewed my own tarp, and hammock from the pattern on diygearsupply.com and made my own underquilt and straps also. Once you have a tarp, you'll never hit the woods without it. Great for weathering afternoon t-storms without getting your gear wet. I have since bought a hammock from Grand Trunk (double) because they are mad of parachute material and pack smaller and are lighter than anything I could find to make my hammock from. A full hammock, tarp, underquilt, sleeping bag setup weighs about the same as a tent, pad, bag groundcloth setup. if you're not paying for ultralight gear.
As long as there's trees, you're good. Unless you're in a burn a few years old, then not so good.

twall13

WKR
I'm intrigued by the idea of a hammock setup for a one night spike in steep country.

What hammock are you all using? I have an ENO that I honestly have only used 2 or 3 times in the summer. If I put a good sleeping pad in and climb in it will something like that work? I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as having an under quilt but from an insulation standpoint it should be similar, right? Will the air space under cool you more than the same insulation layer on the ground?

Are you guys cobbling your own tarp covering or purchasing them? What does your total hammock/shelter weigh?

An ENO will work (it's what I started with) but they are pretty short and you'll be a lot more comfortable in an 11' long hammock if you plan to stick with it. I personally like a lot of the offerings at Dutchwaregear.com. My go to hammock is actually one I made myself from fabric purchased through Dutchwaregear.com. My tarp is a Warbonnetoutdoors.com Superfly tarp that I bought. I also started out with a pad and it will work but it's not as comfortable as you are always trying to wrangle the pad. Pads work better with a sleeping bag where you can put the pad inside the sleeping bag. With a pad your shoulders might get a little cold but, again, a sleeping bag helps with this. With an underquilt I love using a top quilt but would be more hesitant with a pad.

Here is my setup:
Dutch PolyD 1.4 11 ft. hammock- 10.83 Oz
Hammock Gear Incubator 20* underquilt W/1 oz overstuff- 25.11 Oz
Hammock Gear Econ 30* Burrow Top Quilt- 21.85 Oz
or if it's colder a top quilt I made myself from a sleeping bag and added 4 Oz. of down to- 28.71 Oz. (Have used down to 15* F)
DIY Bugnet- 6.91 Oz.
Warbonnet Superfly Tarp- 23.7 Oz
Ditty bag with stakes, hammock suspension, cord to hang tarp, etc.- 10.12 Oz.

Grand total weight for most trips- 98.52 Oz or 6.157 Lbs. You can build a much lighter setup but this is what I've found works for me. If it's warmer I can go with a lighter top quilt and a lighter 3/4 length underquilt and a lighter tarp and save about 2 lbs. If it's colder & or wetter I have a 0* underquilt and can stack two top quilts. I've done a fair amount of experimenting to get this system dialed and it works for me. As other have stated, there is a learning curve but it really is a great solution on steep hillsides. I've spent my fair share of nights on hillsides where you are simply never going to put a tent. I've never been wet in a hammock and I do not miss the condensation of tents. It's also nice to lace my boots from the seated position in my hammock rather than on the ground.

Edit: I'd also highly recommend reading "The Ultimate Hang" if you have any intention of seriously considering using a hammock in the Backcountry. It's a very quick, easy read and will help you understand what you need to know to get started.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
There are number of excellent and very informative posts from months/years ago regarding Hammocks on Rokslide. Use the search bar tool and check them out.

JL

1signguy

WKR
I have a couple Clark hammocks which are great for Fall weather. I like the Hammock Gear quilts and use their winter palace tarp a fair bit.