The millennial who wants to hunt

Hey all,
Ive recently started my career and all this money is burning a hole in my pocket (I wish). But I'm young, in good shape, and am looking to plan a hunt for about this time next year. Where do you all think would be a good place to start? I want to hunt OTC rifle mule deer and I think Idaho might be the place?? Thoughts??

If you live in CA, start close to home and despite what many say, there are some great bucks in this state. Was out this past weekend for the archery opener and saw 7 bucks. They're here, just gotta find'em.

OP
L
Not specifically, just any time next season. I grew up hunting dove and quail in California. This will be my first big game hunt!

slvrslngr

WKR
Arrowslinger nailed it. Some great OTC deer hunting in Cali if you're willing to work for it. Start doing your homework, there is a ton of info on Cal Fish and Wildlife site. And start putting in for the draw only hunts. I lived in Cali for 3 years, hunted 2 and killed bucks both years. They're out there, go find 'em!

As someone who started hunting recently I would suggest starting closer to home. You will learn a whole lot more from a few trips close to home that can help you when ou get more ambitious

AdamW

WKR
Some good advice already, but I'll add: spend some time watching deer in CA outside of hunting season. As a rifle hunter, I learned soooo much during archery season about what deer do when they aren't being hunted during rifle season. I think there's a lot of value there. Plus you get to see all kinds of cool stuff with other animals too.

Depending on where you are/hunt in Ca, many of the zones can be exceptionally difficult to be successful in. Southern California in particular. Don't get me wrong, anyone can struggle in a new zone. But if you're just starting our deer hunting, in a low success zone, it can be an exceptionally frustrating experience. But, hunting close to home makes a whole lot of sense, as you will be able to spend more time scouting, learning, and hunting. But why wait until next year?

FreeRange

WKR
Where are you located in CA? I hunt both in CA and Idaho every year. The OTC hunting in Idaho is far better but I've probably learned more from toughing it out in CA and still killing deer the past 4 years. There's something to be said for putting in the time and learning an area, but if you have the time and money going out of state can be a great experience on top of your hunting closer to home.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
As a fellow (former) Californian millennial, that's awesome you want to go hunt. There are some great deer in California, just have to put in some research and work. Read all you can.

If you are looking to go out of state there are tons of options as well. You can always do both!

OP
L
Arrowslinger nailed it. Some great OTC deer hunting in Cali if you're willing to work for it. Start doing your homework, there is a ton of info on Cal Fish and Wildlife site. And start putting in for the draw only hunts. I lived in Cali for 3 years, hunted 2 and killed bucks both years. They're out there, go find 'em!

I didn't think CA offers OTC tags for big game animals? Or i just can't find one online.

I didn't think CA offers OTC tags for big game animals? Or i just can't find one online.

California offers otc hunts for deer in the A, B and D zones. I have never hunted any other otc zone than B and while it is tough there are some really good bucks in B zone. Like others have said you have to work for it but you have to work for them in other states too, California just is tougher. Where in CA are you? There is also bear tags which are good state wide, with some areas closed I believe.

As a rifle hunter, I learned soooo much during archery season about what deer do when they aren't being hunted during rifle season.

LOL, are you saying the boys with the bows weren't doing a good job of chasing them deer around??

Best thing you can do is get out and start hiking and glassing now and do it often. It's going to take a while to figure out where and how to find deer consistently. Study maps. Spend as much $ as you can on some good glass and a tripod. Don't buy cheap boots. You can buy all the trendy crap later.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I thought millennials didn't like that term used for them. I would think millennials would find it pretty hard to get any hunting done while taking so many selfies.
All kidding aside good luck to you.
Believe it or not I have seen deer on the steep hillsides along I-15 between Victorville and Riverside.

591ee2ed67098456e8d8ad6c_o_F_v0.jpg