What would you do?

So lets play the hypothetical game........I know everyone loves to play!! :D

Lets say you are in charge of planning a hunt for yourself, your buddy and his 18 year old nephew. Want it to be a base camp / spike out for a few days type of hunt.

We would be driving / flying from the Midwest (IA/NE) so would want that cost included in dollar amount.
Fall Rifle hunt. Not something sitting in a blind or over bait though. Want a spot and stalk hunt.
Not opposed to hiring a guide / outfitter.
Initial thoughts were a black bear hunt..........

Not sure on top dollar we are willing to spend, but friend is helping nephew out for a graduation gift, so sorta need to keep that in mind.

Let the games begin!!

slvrslngr

WKR
If you're wanting a bear hunt, you could do it DYI in Washington, Oregon or California pretty easily and with out spending a ton of money. Key in on food sources, glass your butt's off and have a great time chasing bears.

xziang

WKR
If you would want to go on the cheap maybe head out to valentine area for ML deer hunt in December. (Cheap Tags pending what side of the MO river you live on) Rifle is still just to chaotic for my taste.

I can/could only help out with CO with anything else, plus that wouldn't be any info for rifle hunts.

OP
Ironmerganser
Antelope has been mentioned........thoughts on exactly where we would go?
We want to get out of state.....go explore.......
Elk is very intriguing.....thoughts on exactly where we would go?

Elk somewhere in Colorado in a drop camp or dyi. If you can afford a guide great and by all means but you are probably looking at least 4 grand a piece.

Antelope would be my 2nd choice. Tags are easy, diy will be inexpensive and success pretty high but in my opinion it won't be as fun without the mts, weather, etc

slvrslngr

WKR
You've got a ton of options. Start out by choosing an animal to hunt. Then choose a state. Then decide if you want to go DIY, so a drop camp or hire a guide. Then do your homework and prep. Then shell out the dough, drive out there and have a great time! See, easy peasy!

mtmuley

WKR
For a very first hunt, forget elk. Antelope is way easier to do, and success is high. Get some "out there" experience, then tackle an elk hunt. mtmuley

Fishhead

FNG
My vote would be pronghorn. Relatively easy for a beginner and an almost guarantee. You can make the hunt as hard or as easy as you want. You could spot and stalk from a mile away or shoot one off the hood of the truck 100 yards away. Done both and it is one of the most fun hunts you will go on.