Any Texas to Colorado transplants?

Getting really tired of south Texas and have been thinking of a move to Co. Nothing set in stone, I am just exploring options right now. Is there any roksliders that made the move from Texas to Colorado? What are the pros and cons that you have seen? Where did you settle?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the natives will tell you to stay out. Transplants aren't looked upon very kindly right now. I moved from the midwest. I love everything about being here. The only real downsides are the cost of housing is pretty high and there are a lot of transients/bums around that hassle you at stop lights.

Housing is only going to continue to rise as long as people keep moving here.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is funny because I was born and raised in CO and I've actually been considering a move to Texas.......even Eastern Texas with the humidity. That's how much I hate how crowded CO and the roads have gotten. I love that 75 mph speed limit on all the back roads in TX........without the traffic.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
This is funny because I was born and raised in CO and I've actually been considering a move to Texas.......even Eastern Texas with the humidity. That's how much I hate how crowded CO and the roads have gotten. I love that 75 mph speed limit on all the back roads in TX........without the traffic.

I grew up in East Texas, why on earth would you want to move there??

dotman

WKR
Tons around where my parents live, think 3/4's of their friends came from TX.

Born and raised in Texas. Moved to Fort Collins almost 4 years ago. Lots of things to consider. Big things like the state income tax that TX doesn't have to little things like never hearing a kid say 'sir' or 'maam' any more. Sorry but my kids aren't allowed to address adults by their first name like the kids at school here. And it's true that the locals have no love for Texans or Californians but still feel these are some of the most beautiful wild places you'll ever see. Glad to pm on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Do the jobs pay enough to offset the higher cost of living?
I'm sure it depends on your field. I got a small bump from what i made back east. Not enough to offset it but it's been totally worth it to me. Everything else is pretty comparable. The housing was definitely a shock. Rent is absolutely INSANE right now. I rented for 6 months and then bought a place. It wound up being cheaper.

Poser

WKR
I'm sure it depends on your field. I got a small bump from what i made back east. Not enough to offset it but it's been totally worth it to me. Everything else is pretty comparable. The housing was definitely a shock. Rent is absolutely INSANE right now. I rented for 6 months and then bought a place. It wound up being cheaper.

This is the tough part of the equation. I moved from Tennessee to CO 8 months ago. The general job market in Durango is very deflated across the board as there are plenty of qualified people for virtually every available job, particularly career type jobs that pay more than $50k and have benefits. There are many jobs here that pay $10-$12 and hour that would pay 1.5x, even 2x that amount in other parts of the country. There are experienced welders making $16 an hour. I talked to a FedEx driver who took a pay cut of $4 an hour pay cut moving (at his request) to CO from NC.

In short, you need to bring your work with you, land a real job in advance or have a skill set that guarantees you a real job, otherwise it is going to be a struggle. Whether that struggle is worth it is highly debatable. Plenty of people pack it up and move to CO without a plan. Some make it work, some never do.

Locals love what Texans do for the economy but no love for the people. When you are cruising for a parking spot at the grocery store and there is a giant truck with a trailer full of camo ATVs taking up 4 parking spots, with, your guessed it, Texas plates, it's easy to feel the disdain. Texans tend to use CO as a playground, but they seem to take up an excessive and disproportionate amount of space in the process. Trailheads and inconsiderate parking jobs are a big complaint. Inexperienced mountain drivers pulling enormous RV rigs and hogging the road are common. Overzealous/over aggressive driving on trails with multi user access is another complaint. Or, visit one of the mountains towns popular for ORV access and trying walking the streets with dirt bikes and side by sides aggressively kicking up dirt and speed Through intersections. When Texas Spring Break kicks in, suddenly you can only fit 4 people on the 6 person ski lift....

You'll find yourself guilty by association to a certain extent. Might be an aspect to consider from a social standpoint.

JWP58

WKR
From Texas, couldn't pay me to live in the front range. Maybe the western slope, but good luck finding a job. Might as well just move to Austin....liberal and crowded.

But if you like tie dye, weed, and dreadlocks...it might be Valhalla for you.

Savage99

WKR
Moved from FL to CO January of this year. Company transfer with bump to mostly cover the difference in average rent / state taxes. The housing is higher, but the property tax is lower from FL. I didn't have to face whatever the job market is like and I work in a unique engineering industry. We'll probably stay for the long term. I've told my folks, who are almost retired back in FL (brother's fam lives there too) that I might have three reasons to move back to FL someday: family, fishing, and cheaper (for now) housing.

My wife made a comment while she was in the drivers seat in the mountains this past weekend that she wished she still had her FL plates... so the others drivers would attribute her safe (slower) speed to being a flatlander.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
From Texas, couldn't pay me to live in the front range. Maybe the western slope, but good luck finding a job. Might as well just move to Austin....liberal and crowded.

But if you like tie dye, weed, and dreadlocks...it might be Valhalla for you.
I'm a conservative guy who grew up in a really conservative state. After a year on the front range, I'm still yet to really see or experience this liberal hippy stronghold that everyone (mostly out of staters) talk about when they mention Colorado.

ahlgringo

WKR
I'm a conservative guy who grew up in a really conservative state. After a year on the front range, I'm still yet to really see or experience this liberal hippy stronghold that everyone (mostly out of staters) talk about when they mention Colorado.

Wow, I have been here 11 yrs- you really dont notice? Listen to whats reported on the news, read the paper, or my favorite- go listen down at the capital when it is in session. I feel more and more disenfranchised from my own personal beliefs each year.

Last edited:

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I have been here 11 yrs- you really dont notice? Listen to whats reported on the news, read the paper, or my favorite- go listen down at the capital when it is in session. I feel more and more disenfranchised from my own personal beliefs each year.

Not sure what to tell you, brother. I don't read the paper and rarely watch the news. I only trust what I see and experience on my own. Sure, there are crazy liberals and some hippies running around. Same as anywhere else. Again, I really haven't experienced this liberal utopia everyone complains about. Seems overblown to me but I haven't been here long. Just one guy's opinion. Don't let the crazies get you down. Head up.

TXCO

WKR
I did it several years ago, Houston to Denver. Its a big change but it all depends on what you want (and where youre headed) as to whether youll like it. A lot of good points already mentioned and theyre applicable everywhere except the crowding is worst on the front range. If I did it all over again I wouldnt stop in the front range. Feel free to PM me to answer any specific questions.

texag10

WKR
Moving to Denver in 6 months.

Someone mentioned state income tax for CO. For me, going from Dallas to Denver I will be saving about $4 grand in property taxes. Not enough to offest all of the CO income tax, but helps.

oldgoat

WKR
Two things Coloradans hate, Californians and Texans and I always tell them I'm a Texan that moved here from California! But I was only in California at the convenience of the government! If I was moving and had the right job experience, I'd move to Wyoming or Idaho! Housing is really the only costs that are redicuously expensive here, farther you get from the I-25 corridor the cheaper the housing costs are, but the lower the wages are.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My wife made a comment while she was in the drivers seat in the mountains this past weekend that she wished she still had her FL plates... so the others drivers would attribute her safe (slower) speed to being a flatlander.

It doesn't matter what plates anyone has, 95% of the CO plated vehicles are being driven by people that have no clue how to drive. I really wish we had mandatory driver's training here like in Switzerland. But even without the training, it shouldn't take very long for folks to figure out that the left lane is for passing (the eventual pass doesn't count), especially with all the signs along the highways that tell them that.

But slow drivers in the mountains don't bother me........until I go to get around them and there we are side by side now doing 30 mph faster than we just were before I tried to pass.