Home archery range setup

Rogue541

WKR
What does your home archery range look like? I'm looking for ideas as to how to keep a clean little diy home range. I live in Oregon and currently have a Block target and a 3D Deer ($350) and the sun/elements will surely beat them up quickly without cover. I have a tarp and I thought of Getting a 10x10 canopy from dicks for $50... any other pics or suggestions for making a long lasting solid setup? Thanks
2655da5699c81aae1bfca804cb6dc1a4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
That's pretty awesome MTNRCHR what kind of backer is behind the target? I need to get some hay bales or something soon.

Dorny

FNG
5 years ago i got a truckload of blue foam carpet pad from a carpet store for free. I cut it all up into 3' x 18" strips, stacked it, and then laid it between 2 sheets of plywood. Using four 2x6's about 5 feet long with sticks of all-thread, I squeezed the carpet pad down.

It has taken thousands of shots with field points and broadheads since then. still stops my arrows before the fletch! Super cheap($15 for the threaded rod, washers, and nuts) and nice and large. It ended up being 3' wide and about 2.5' tall.

I am play with a stall mat from tractor supply. $40 and a good back stop. I haven't engineered a way to hang it yet so have it proped on saw horses. Weighs about 100 lbs so I am going to build a frame of some sort.

BradNSW

FNG
Can get 54yds. If I open the gate to the front road, I can get out to 80yds but here in San Diego, people frown on archers shooting in a residential area. I do it once a month or so, just to build my confidence.Backyard Tgt.jpg

flippertn

FNG
I built a 4ft x 4ft target out of 1x2 and some osb a tarp and some plastic. Plans for it are on elk101. It works amazingly and it's big enough to confidently shoot at long distances and I've got about $30 in it.

I went to Lowe's and bought 2 10.5 sections of top rail for a chain ling fence and two 90 degree corner joints. I cut one at 7' leaving 3.5 feet. On that section , since it is top rail, the last 6 inches is reduced so it can slide into the next section. I cut the other one at 7' leaving the reduced section on the long piece leaving me another 3.5 of 1 1/2 " tube. I cut that down to size so once they are sleeved together it gives me 54" ( this is for the 48" end of the mat). I connected the shorts to the longs with the 90's and sleeved them together. I ripped at 2 x 6 and used the halves to sandwich the top of the mat, attaching with drywall screws, installed an eye hook on each end and hung each end from a chain. It is not in the ground instead it leans against a tree and the mat hangs loose to eat up any energy and stop strays. I am at work, so I can't post any pictures, if you have questions let me know.

I am play with a stall mat from tractor supply. $40 and a good back stop. I haven't engineered a way to hang it yet so have it proped on saw horses. Weighs about 100 lbs so I am going to build a frame of some sort.

^^^^^^^ that was in response to Desk Jockey, not sure why it didn't quote the first time ?? OE I guess ;)

mvmnts

WKR
xu6mES8.jpg

I set up a 15 yard practice backstop in a buddy's yard. It's in the city so we went big with the backstop just in case. It's two stall mats from tractor supply. They stink like hell and they are extremely heavy. We set two 4x4 posts in concrete and then sandwiched the mats between two 1x4's. Worked well, but a tad tough to hang. The mats are burly, and will stop an arrow out of my compound on their own. I recommend putting some hay bales or something in front if you plan on missing your target.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
That is pretty cool. Looks like I need to find a tractor supply! SuperKodiak38 do you have a photo? Your setup sounds really cool.

That is pretty cool. Looks like I need to find a tractor supply! SuperKodiak38 do you have a photo? Your setup sounds really cool.

Still at work ( 12 hours shift ) I'll try and get one posted up soon, the top rail sections where under 10 $ each and the corner connectors ran about 3 $ a piece for a reference.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Found a good temporary solution. $40 Labor Day dicks canopy. Should last a while!
d819677e4438144b631c30ec3a5a2bda.jpg