Tent camping in the back country

Jauwater

WKR
Yea the urine thing I think is silly. I mean, one of the selling points to Kifaru Center Zip is you can relieve yourself within your floor less shelter while never leaving your sleeping bag, that is of course if your long enough in freezing temps. So anyway, so I, and I'd be willing to bet hundreds if not thousands of other guys are out there peeing inside their floor less shelter. They are also cooking up steaks and beans on their stove in their tents. If your on the run from the law or trying to evade capture from aliens that are stalking you then ok, pee in a stream. Otherwise there is no real threat that's happening to people on a common regular basis to take such an action as peeing in a water source. I mean if I'm in Alaska or BC I'd probably do things a little different, but I'm still peeing on soil. Do you have as much success finding these roaming animals during hunting hours, or do they just mock you at night? Could be Grays trying to abduct you. They say the Grays have an extremely low IQ, and often have trouble finding their way into people's tents. Maybe that is the reason for multiple critter encounters at night. Critters actually being retrained Grays trying to re-enter your tent for abduction.....Happy Camping :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
As for urine being sterile, I believe it's sterile only for yourself. I think this originally came about when survivalists talk about being able to urinate on a wound and it being sterile. Different people carry different bacteria, diseases and viruses that I assume could some could be transmitted from one to the other.

I also disagree with the need to change food after cooking. That is a lot of clothes to carry into the back country.

This topic came up on one of the meat eater podcasts and they made a good point, statistically you're much more likely to be killed by a car in your own bed at home than any sort of animal while you're sleeping in your tent.

1signguy

WKR
Urine, while not 100% sterile- is certainly cleaner than the water you are about to filter...
I am not saying pee in a creek...
As for animals visiting at night- I hope they don't wake me... Last thing on my mind...

Mice are the ones that will drive me batshit crazy :mad:

A buddy of mine and I were hunting whitetail one year and there had been some kind of local population explosion of mice. We almost went insane. They were chewing on everything. Packs, pack straps, laces, anything with salt from sweat, running across sleeping bags while we slept, shredding our supply of toilet paper, scrambling out of packs and boots when we'd pick them up.

Traveling with the same buddy to ice fish with some friends, we checked into some cheap motel when we were both bleary. My very well-behaved dog immediately jumped onto the bed, something out of character. We realized that the carpet in the room was teeming with fleas and bailed out.

Sometimes it's the little things.

Hydrochloric Acid is sterile as well. That's doesn't mean I want someone pouring it in water upstream of me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
H
Ok, to be clear. I personally don't pee in water sources. I actually filter my water out of that stream. As for Aliens? Well, I will leave that one alone. Thanks for the advice about the electric fence. I have actually looked into the commercial ones. But the bottom line is that I am currently counting ounces for this trip and I have no room for extra weight. I will use the 100 yard rule and I won't be pissing inside my tent. Thanks to everyone that gave advise or simply wandered off about pee...I do appreciate the comments. Good luck out there.

Better tell the moose that! ;-)
BTW- I believe urine is sterile when it comes out of the body. Poor etiquette for sure though

urine being sterile is one one of the biggest wives tales around. It likely continues to get propagated due to survival trainings. Sure it can keep you alive in a life or death situation, but, the fact is that urine is sterile to the point it hits the urethra. At that point it picks up toxins, bacteria, heavy metals... The reason urine stinks is directly due to the bacteria in it (you can even test this, just pee into a cup, smell it, put it into a microwave on high for one minute, don't let it boil over, take it and notice that it doesn't smell, due to the heat killing the bacteria).

If you take medications, vitamins, supplements... your passing some of them through your urine. Medications passing into the environment through urine is a huge environmental problem. One such example is halibut. their natural ratio is 1 to 1, i.e., 1 male to 1 female, just like deer. Unfortunately, that male to female ratio is nowhere close to 1 to 1 due to our sewer systems dumping into our oceans, carrying hormone ladened urine. The idea of urinating into a stream being okay is just wrong, wrong, and more wrong.

Bcole82

FNG
urine being sterile is one one of the biggest wives tales around. It likely continues to get propagated due to survival trainings. Sure it can keep you alive in a life or death situation, but, the fact is that urine is sterile to the point it hits the urethra. At that point it picks up toxins, bacteria, heavy metals... The reason urine stinks is directly due to the bacteria in it (you can even test this, just pee into a cup, smell it, put it into a microwave on high for one minute, don't let it boil over, take it and notice that it doesn't smell, due to the heat killing the bacteria).

If you take medications, vitamins, supplements... your passing some of them through your urine. Medications passing into the environment through urine is a huge environmental problem. One such example is halibut. their natural ratio is 1 to 1, i.e., 1 male to 1 female, just like deer. Unfortunately, that male to female ratio is nowhere close to 1 to 1 due to our sewer systems dumping into our oceans, carrying hormone ladened urine. The idea of urinating into a stream being okay is just wrong, wrong, and more wrong.

I've been to a number of different types of survival schools in the military and everyone of them says don't drink your own pee, and Bear Grylls is a dipshit. I'm with you 100% man, some people's kids.....

desertcj

WKR
I've used benadryl to knock out quite a bit. It never lets me sleep through the night if that is why I fell asleep. I wake up at like 2am without fail and it's like a wide awake. I started figuring out that it was better to fall asleep naturally. Maybe a few shots of courage before bed and a pistol is usually pretty comforting even if it might not actually be very effective.

hodgeman

WKR
I have trouble sleeping in the backcountry as well...pretty much the victim of an overactive imagination since I was little. I just count on getting little sleep on backcountry trips until exhaustion just takes over.

I have had a grizzly sniff my head through the tent once...a simple "hey bear" and he went ass over teakettle running out of there. If it had went south, there wasn't a dang thing I could have done about it- gun, spray or whatever. Oddly, it's easier to sleep now that it happened.

Stid2677

WKR
They probably just thought you might be cold like this caribou and want to help out by covering you up to stay warm. :)

WZKIgbk.jpg

I spend a bunch of time in bear, wolf country. I would make camp and use trees and terrain to block access to your sleep tent. All the above sleep aids and earplugs help. I hate to even weigh in on the urine subject,, but my experience has been human urine is a very strong deterrent to animals. I use urine as a fence around my camp and meat. YMMV,, Just my experience spending time on Kodiak and with mountain bears and wolves. Running water also makes for a good background to drown out noise if you are a light sleeper.

wZ5yDYE.jpg

Some of you guys are just funny,, use a night light at home????

Steve