OnXmaps

desertcj

WKR
I have a Samsung S7. Very difficult to impossible to download the maps. I'm starting to wonder if all of their updates and wiping out of maps is just totally overloading their servers with download requests. It seems like a decent app if I could have gotten it to work.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Maybe it's just iPhone users like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running an older iPhone SE and I've not had any issues either. I downloaded maps for my elk spot in CO, and just to test thing out just now; I downloaded maps of my whitetail spot in NE, and a few fishing spots in Wyoming. All of them downloaded just fine on my home wifi network. For reference, I am on Version 4.0.0 Build 9. Sounds like maybe I should NOT update it?

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running an older iPhone SE and I've not had any issues either. I downloaded maps for my elk spot in CO, and just to test thing out just now; I downloaded maps of my whitetail spot in NE, and a few fishing spots in Wyoming. All of them downloaded just fine on my home wifi network. For reference, I am on Version 4.0.0 Build 9. Sounds like maybe I should NOT update it?

Tough to say. I'm not a guru but they said my maps wouldn't have worked if I didn't do the update but I probably would t have know about it until getting there. Guess I'm glad I had these issues now.

My waypoints were saved, but my offline maps were not. Did anyone have this same issue ?

bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Using a Samsung S8 and can switch to another app and keep downloading just fine. Seems to be very hit or miss for others, across both platforms with many software versions. Way over my head!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I've used OnX for the last two season hunting in three states and found it to be a good, solid tool.

This year after doing the update I still couldn't download the maps and had talked with CS 2-3 times. The last time they told me what I wish they had said the first time.

Without access to wifi I can only get maps downloaded this way:
1. Only select the 10 mile option
2. Only download one map at a time
3. Don't let the app go to sleep - it is guaranteed to fail after sleeping 5 minutes
4. Allow 30-90 minutes for a 200M maps to download

After successfully downloading the maps I've tested the app and it seems to be working just fine. Turning your phone to airline mode and then opening the app and selecting "Go Offline" is a great way to test it.

I'm hoping that these tips help other users.

Disclaimer - I am not associated with OnX in any way.

TheCougar

WKR
I like the new interface, but I'm also having trouble downloading maps. First, their download interface sucks... why do I have to choose their shape and scale... 10mile medium resolution?!? Really? Hunting units don't come in rectangles of their choosing. I end up downloading maps with half the map totally worthless because I won't use most of it. when I do download, it fails 80% of the time. I've only successfully downloaded one map out of a dozen so far. That's why I have Gaia on my iPhone. Lots of layers, only costs $20 for life membership, solid interface. All I get for my expensive yearly OnX membership is better aerial maps, landownership boundaries, and lots of headaches. Unless I am going to an area with lots of private, I think I am done with OnX.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I'm trying OnX for the first time and it has worked almost flawlessly.
My Iphone5 needs wifi, set on a table and not touched, and auto lock turned off for the maps to download and save. Doing that, for 5 mile maps, one at a time, it works every time for downloading my entire hunt unit worth of maps. A 300 meg 5 mile map takes only a few minutes to download and compile. Tracking creation and saving works fine as well. Some text colors need changed and the waypoint icons are gigantic but usable.
The app knows if I have service or not and automatically changes offline to online. I always switch it to offline after I open it even when I have service and have had no problems.
They will need to add import/export features between the web map and gps/app before I'll send them money or replace my GPS but they're getting close to the Internet scouting apps I use now.

They will need to add import/export features between the web map and gps/app before I'll send them money or replace my GPS but they're getting close to the Internet scouting apps I use now.

I haven't used it, but I thought tracks and waypoints were automatically synchronized to your account so they could be viewed on both the app and website.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
so i bought OnX a couple weeks ago and liked what i saw. i downloaded a few maps for offline use. ended up finding out the maps couldnt run layers unless you downloaded them with layers first. so i didnt need the maps i'd saved anyway. downloaded the new update over the weekend. i guess i was one of the 5% as i lost the maps (that i didnt need anyway) but it did keep my waypoints.

now i'm trying to save the maps i do need and it seems to hang up on "packaging map" every time. it will run through the "making Map" percentage fine and in less than 3 minutes. but i cant get to the actual saving part. last night i sat with it for about 30 mins to no avail. decided i'd bring my phone to work and hook up to its wifi still not working.

iphone 7. 5 mile map. 100 gigs free

very disappointed first time customer.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
so i bought OnX a couple weeks ago and liked what i saw. i downloaded a few maps for offline use. ended up finding out the maps couldnt run layers unless you downloaded them with layers first. so i didnt need the maps i'd saved anyway. downloaded the new update over the weekend. i guess i was one of the 5% as i lost the maps (that i didnt need anyway).

now i'm trying to save the maps i do need and it seems to hang up on "packaging map" every time. it will run through the "making Map" percentage fine and in less than 3 minutes. but i cant get to the actual saving part. last night i sat with it for about 30 mins to no avail. decided i'd bring my phone to work and hook up to its wifi still not working.

iphone 7. 5 mile map. 100 gigs free

very disappointed first time customer.

Call customer service. They've taken good care of me so far.

twall13

WKR
I haven't used it, but I thought tracks and waypoints were automatically synchronized to your account so they could be viewed on both the app and website.

You are correct, everything should automatically sync between the website and the app. You cannot, however, download that stuff and save it locally on a hard drive etc. so you are reliant on OnX to backup your data. Normally shouldn't be an issue but with this update it was obviously an issue for a few guys. That said, someone said the import/export feature should be coming soon so guys can back up their own data.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
well i posted about the update they released last night at 1:00 pm CST today and at 1:04 pm CST i have my first downloaded 300mb 5 mile map for offline use. that seemed to do the trick.

edit: 1:09 CST 2nd map (400mb) so its definitely working now

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
So I'm guessing buying the GPS chip is the way to go if I just want land ownership. I have no need for way points, tracks or other nonsense.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, just updated this morning and saved a new map just now.

Just updated and saved a new map. No noticeable difference in speed but I didn't loose all my prior saved maps. That's a win!

I'm finally not one of the 5%....