OnXmaps

So I'm guessing buying the GPS chip is the way to go if I just want land ownership. I have no need for way points, tracks or other nonsense.

Not necessarily; the chip is good if you want to spend your money on a separate GPS unit. The problem with external GPS units is that they are expensive and outdated technology with no satellite imagery and just some mediocre topo maps. The advantage is that they are simple to use for the technologically impaired and they usually last a long time on a single charge. Your external GPS unit gives you the same ability to create waypoints and tracks, they just won't be synced to the OnX web app. The app gives you the ability to only carry one device since most of us carry our phones with us anyways and we also tend to upgrade our phones a lot faster than GPS units, so you won't have them get outdated.

wapitibob

WKR
I haven't used it, but I thought tracks and waypoints were automatically synchronized to your account so they could be viewed on both the app and website.

Tracks and waypoints are bidirectional and syncing. I use geo referenced raster maps and will need to be able to import those to both the webmap and phone app, as well as export of any waypoint/track to a gpx file for backup or transfer to my gps.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not necessarily; the chip is good if you want to spend your money on a separate GPS unit. The problem with external GPS units is that they are expensive and outdated technology with no satellite imagery and just some mediocre topo maps. The advantage is that they are simple to use for the technologically impaired and they usually last a long time on a single charge. Your external GPS unit gives you the same ability to create waypoints and tracks, they just won't be synced to the OnX web app. The app gives you the ability to only carry one device since most of us carry our phones with us anyways and we also tend to upgrade our phones a lot faster than GPS units, so you won't have them get outdated.

A GPS is also waterproof and much more durable than any phone available, and the mountains just aren't easy on things :)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A GPS is also waterproof and much more durable than any phone available, and the mountains just aren't easy on things :)

But a gps doesn't take selfies of me and my flat bill hat on a bow walk. Kidding, valid points but I chose a waterproof-ish phone and rugged case. I hope this iPhone 7 is as water resistant as my old s7. I haven't used a newer gps but all my phones in the last four years have been superior in their gps antenna

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
But a gps doesn't take selfies of me and my flat bill hat on a bow walk. Kidding, valid points but I chose a waterproof-ish phone and rugged case. I hope this iPhone 7 is as water resistant as my old s7. I haven't used a newer gps but all my phones in the last four years have been superior in their gps antenna

Geez man where ya been. All of the Oregon series have built in cameras for those flat billed selfies, they're even nice because when you take that picture it automatically saves your gps coordinates.

I refuse to buy a phone that's not waterproof. Mine has made a trip into the lake/river a few times. Hence why I'm still rocking the Sony Z3V and holding out for the Google Pixel 2 in hopes that it'll be waterproof.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I refuse to buy a phone that's not waterproof. Mine has made a trip into the lake/river a few times. Hence why I'm still rocking the Sony Z3V and holding out for the Google Pixel 2 in hopes that it'll be waterproof.

Phone cost too much to not be water proof. I won't buy on that isn't either

wapitibob

WKR
Garmin Montana

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have been having my maps fail to download because my phone keeps going to sleep. I changed the settings on my phone and it fixed the issue. I-phone. Thought this might help someone else.

Ya they should really make people aware of this so they dont pull all of their hair out....