OnXmaps

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Well OnXmaps has done it again. Not sure who's genius idea it was to do a massive update to the app 30 days prior to hunting season but as we all know that didn't go so well. Most of us lost significant data. That being said, I do love the new apps interface.

But after investing significant time re-saving maps because they were all lost with the original update, their update last week smoked all my saved maps again! I had multiple units in the multiple states I'm saved for this years hunts and if I try to go off-line the app crashes. I spoke with customer service and their only solution was to delete all of my old maps and save them again.....

I'm not sure what's going on over in the engineering department but they have a great product IF they can get their SH!+ together and get it working correctly. At this point I'm scared to depend on OnXmaps for the hunting season.

That's is all. Now I get to go save maps again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well OnXmaps has done it again. Not sure who's genius idea it was to do a massive update to the app 30 days prior to hunting season but as we all know that didn't go so well. Most of us lost significant data. That being said, I do love the new apps interface.

But after investing significant time re-saving maps because they were all lost with the original update, their update last week smoked all my saved maps again! I had multiple units in the multiple states I'm saved for this years hunts and if I try to go off-line the app crashes. I spoke with customer service and their only solution was to delete all of my old maps and save them again.....

I'm not sure what's going on over in the engineering department but they have a great product IF they can get their SH!+ together and get it working correctly. At this point I'm scared to depend on OnXmaps for the hunting season.

That's is all. Now I get to go save maps again.

If you're going to rant at least be realistic. Data does not lie. Less than 5% of users experienced any data loss. Also in your PM to me I asked you to get back to me so I could help you out to the best of my ability. You didn't do that.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to rant at least be realistic. Data does not lie. Less than 5% of users experienced any data loss. Also in your PM to me I asked you to get back to me so I could help you out to the best of my ability. You didn't do that.

Sorry if you felt attacked.

I don't know the data, all I know is what I've read. If it is 5%, I'm one of the unlucky ones twice....

In your PM, your suggestion was for me to call customer support and that's what I did. After talking with them, my choices are to delete all my maps and save them again or (they didn't say this) not use your product. I'm not there yet.

I like your product and every time I've been in contact with anyone there, you've done everything you can to help resolve the issues. I truly appreciate that and that's why I'm downloading maps again. But if your engineers can't put out updates without making saved data useless, (at least for us 5%) I'm not sure how long I'll be able to depend on the app products. I can always go back to the chips, those never failed me.

Again, I appreciate your help and the customer service's help. Unfortunate things happen and it's how you clean up afterwards that speaks to who you / a company is. It's why I'm still a customer.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry if you felt attacked.

I don't know the data, all I know is what I've read. If it is 5%, I'm one of the unlucky ones twice....

In your PM, your suggestion was for me to call customer support and that's what I did. After talking with them, my choices are to delete all my maps and save them again or (they didn't say this) not use your product. I'm not there yet.

I like your product and every time I've been in contact with anyone there, you've done everything you can to help resolve the issues. I truly appreciate that and that's why I'm downloading maps again. But if your engineers can't put out updates without making saved data useless, (at least for us 5%) I'm not sure how long I'll be able to depend on the app products. I can always go back to the chips, those never failed me.

Again, I appreciate your help and the customer service's help. Unfortunate things happen and it's how you clean up afterwards that speaks to who you / a company is. It's why I'm still a customer.

Here's the thing. I'm not OnX. I don't work for them or get paid by them. I like to help people. After 20 years in the industry I've made friends in a lot of places, some good. Some maybe questionable, lol. I've posted updates on here all along as I've been able to get them. It's helped some people, maybe not others. I'm not a mapping engineer, or to be honest when it comes to the app, I'm not a guru. I've been using the chips for years, and love them. I'm a new user to the app. I'm trying to figure it out as I go and help those along the way that I can. Because I'm not paid by anyone I can use whatever I want. I have always been honest about my product useage and I've always tried to use the best. With limited time and funds (which I assume most can relate to) I expect the best out of what I use, so I try to surround myself with the best products, companies, and people available. I use OnX for that reason. I've killed animals because of this system that I would not have if I hadn't had it. I'll work through a few issues and go about my business like normal. Eventually things will all come around.

Best of luck to you.

The last version of the hunt app was so unstable and slow that it was practically unusable, so I would much rather have lost a little data. That being said it shouldn't happen and with some correct engineering choices it could've been avoided. I thought most of the important data (waypoints, tracks, etc) was backed up to your account so that it could be viewed online; did you only lose the maps that you had previously downloaded? Given the new way that saved areas are selected it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case because it is extremely over-simplified and inflexible although very easy to use for the computer illiterate.

As an engineer myself I know how this goes and I would bet that the planned release was sometime this past summer, but given schedule slips and problems in testing I'm sure they've been working very hard to get it out before the season. That being said I can see the frustration about a key piece of gear being changed on you last minute a couple days before heading out the door; even if it didn't cause any problems.

As far as the app itself; other than needing SD Card storage and a much more flexible 'advanced' mode for selecting offline maps it is pretty damn good in the little I played with it last night. I would like to have a few more base layer options as far as topo goes, but I guess it's a sacrifice that may have to be made in favor of usability and simplification for the average hunter. Another feature that would be nice is to make a layers transparency a function of zoom; for example public lands polygons need to be brighter when zoomed out, but as you zoom into see detail they should become more transparent.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the thing. I'm not OnX. I don't work for them or get paid by them. I like to help people. After 20 years in the industry I've made friends in a lot of places, some good. Some maybe questionable, lol. I've posted updates on here all along as I've been able to get them. It's helped some people, maybe not others. I'm not a mapping engineer, or to be honest when it comes to the app, I'm not a guru. I've been using the chips for years, and love them. I'm a new user to the app. I'm trying to figure it out as I go and help those along the way that I can. Because I'm not paid by anyone I can use whatever I want. I have always been honest about my product useage and I've always tried to use the best. With limited time and funds (which I assume most can relate to) I expect the best out of what I use, so I try to surround myself with the best products, companies, and people available. I use OnX for that reason. I've killed animals because of this system that I would not have if I hadn't had it. I'll work through a few issues and go about my business like normal. Eventually things will all come around.

Best of luck to you.

I just assumed you were an OnX guy. I do appreciate your help and completely agree with what you've said. I was a chip guy too but decided to switch over to the app and sold my GPS.... guess I fully committed to the app which is why I'm nervous.

Even though I'm frustrated, I still believe OnX and am not giving up on them. I know there's an elk and mule deer I wouldn't have killed if not for them.

Best of luck to you this year as well and thanks again for your help.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are more than welcome H4M, wish I could have been more help. I know it's too late as you sold your other stuff; however if others are reading this it would be a good option to save your stuff. If you have the app free chip updates are now included. That's a nice little bonus.

Also maybe update this and let us know how it goes when you get things resaved. All feedback is useful in some format.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
The last version of the hunt app was so unstable and slow that it was practically unusable, so I would much rather have lost a little data. That being said it shouldn't happen and with some correct engineering choices it could've been avoided. I thought most of the important data (waypoints, tracks, etc) was backed up to your account so that it could be viewed online; did you only lose the maps that you had previously downloaded? Given the new way that saved areas are selected it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case because it is extremely over-simplified and inflexible although very easy to use for the computer illiterate.

As an engineer myself I know how this goes and I would bet that the planned release was sometime this past summer, but given schedule slips and problems in testing I'm sure they've been working very hard to get it out before the season. That being said I can see the frustration about a key piece of gear being changed on you last minute a couple days before heading out the door; even if it didn't cause any problems.

As far as the app itself; other than needing SD Card storage and a much more flexible 'advanced' mode for selecting offline maps it is pretty damn good in the little I played with it last night. I would like to have a few more base layer options as far as topo goes, but I guess it's a sacrifice that may have to be made in favor of usability and simplification for the average hunter. Another feature that would be nice is to make a layers transparency a function of zoom; for example public lands polygons need to be brighter when zoomed out, but as you zoom into see detail they should become more transparent.

Yeah I lost all my maps. Thankful this is my first year with the app so I didn't have any tracks or waypoints to lose. I've been a chip guy before this. But I've spent hours savings maps to have them lost twice.

I believe the transparency thing might already be there. When I zoom in enough, any layers become completely transparent. It's only when zoomed out do I see them.

I believe the transparency thing might already be there. When I zoom in enough, any layers become completely transparent. It's only when zoomed out do I see them.

That may just not happen in the areas where I hunt because the public land is so small; pretty much checkerboard BLM. Usually anywhere from 40 acre to 500 acre chunks; so not very big at all.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Did you lose waypoints and tracks, or just previously saved maps to your phone ?

Thankfully I was a chip user prior to this year so I only had maps to loose. But I've spent 6-7 hours saving maps two different times and each time they've been lost. I redoing it again right now.... hopefully for the last time*

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
It sort of makes sense that the new update forces you to download new maps, as the offline map functionality is greatly improved over how you used to have to do it. I just looked at "My Content" and I have all my waypoints, lines, and tracks from last year and earlier this year. It literally took about 2 minutes to save a fairly large area in high res (5 miles wide setting). Whereas before, it would take forever trying to select the individual map tiles. Heaven forbid you swipe wrong and then you'd have to start all over! So far, I have been really pleased with the update. I used it very effectively this last weekend for the elk opener here. All my waypoints were there from last year and earlier scouting trips this year. One thing I think that would be a great enhancement; If you could attach a pic or video to the waypoint. I used to use the Trimble Outdoor app, and I could make a waypoint of a wallow for example, take a pic of that wallow, and it gets attributed to the waypoint. That was very helpful.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider

I agree, the new app is much nicer. I spent a ton of time saving maps in the old version and it was painful. Then lost them when they updated. I saved them all again in the new version, about 50 maps across a few states. But last weeks update smoked all those too. I really do think 🤞they got it figured out and this won't happen again.

desertcj

WKR
I've personally had enough. My card was charged for another month and my account was reset to "Basic user" and I could not view any layers. I was also never able to save ANY Wyoming maps?! "Download failed" every time. They did fix mt account and my content was all there. They told me to uninstall the app and reinstall which I did. Of course all the California maps I was able to download are now gone. I'm done, moving on to Backcountry Navigator which I was able to use and download my entire unit drama free in a few hours. For their sake, I hope they get their act together.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I've personally had enough. My card was charged for another month and my account was reset to "Basic user" and I could not view any layers. I was also never able to save ANY Wyoming maps?! "Download failed" every time. They did fix mt account and my content was all there. They told me to uninstall the app and reinstall which I did. Of course all the California maps I was able to download are now gone. I'm done, moving on to Backcountry Navigator which I was able to use and download my entire unit drama free in a few hours. For their sake, I hope they get their act together.

That sucks man. If I have much more trouble I'll go back to a GPS and chip.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Why didn't y'all buy the chip instead of the app?

I was trying to eliminate a piece of outdated equipment. I'll update my cell phones far more often than I do GPS units and viewing satellite imagery from your cell phone screen is far better than any GPS. Plus I already will have my phone with me regardless so why not use it for multiple purposes.

At least that was my logic.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I was trying to eliminate a piece of outdated equipment. I'll update my cell phones far more often than I do GPS units and viewing satellite imagery from your cell phone screen is far better than any GPS. Plus I already will have my phone with me regardless so why not use it for multiple purposes.

At least that was my logic.

I was just curious, cause it seems like more folks tend to lend towards the app. I could see where it would be handier to update and view. I use my phone for more of an emergency use only when hunting, so I try to save the battery.

Thanks for your response and I hope you can get it straightened out.

twall13

WKR
I'm sorry to hear several of you have had issues. The update has worked flawlessly for me and I feel like it's helped address the instability I dealt with using the old version the last few years. I'm very happy with the update.