The Cajun Navy!

FlyGuy

WKR

In crises such as Harvey, you want outdoorsmen on your side

This is an excellent article from the mainstream media (Washington Post). I grew up in South Louisiana and I'm happy to see these guys getting some National Exposure for their selfless contributions during high water emergencies. I am also happy to see the positive light this article puts duck hunters and anglers in. Highlighting not only their willingness to act, but the unique and critically important value of the assets and the skills of this specific population. Because they are sportsmen, they own boats and they know how to use them in dangerous waters. If my family was in need of a high water rescue that involved safely navigating a watercraft through murky water littered with debris and obstructions - and with extreme and dangerous current shifts - then I'd pick the LA Duck Hunter for that job every time! I also believe that the TX BHA had a large group of water rescue volunteers as well.

Ryan Avery - I'd love to see you, Brian Call, and others like yourself who are connected to larger audiences interview some of these folks on your podcast. #1 - I think they deserve some recognition for their service. #2 - Its a GREAT story. #3 - the opportunity to portray sportsmen in a very positive light. I know your podcasts may not reach the non-hunting masses, but everything helps and the more this is out there the more it will be repeated. At a time when the value of being a sportsman is highly questioned by the non-hunting masses, I'd hate to see a story like this not be recognized. I know it won't change the minds of anti's, but maybe it gives some of the millions that are on the fence something to think about.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Wish I could read it...It says that I need a subscription to continue. I heard that a certain group of politicians were trying to shut them down because they were "untrained and it was too much of a liability". Being a bowfisher and duck hunter myself I would gladly take any outdoorsman's help in this situation over a mall cop with a fresh set of boat keys. My wife and I had considered making the trip this weekend with the bowfishing boat from NC but we have not decided yet for sure. It will be a 1,000 mile trip one way.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
That link worked. Thank you for posting this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro